Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    First of all, the Halo-like weapon system, meaning you can only carry 2 weapons at the same time.
    While this may work for consoles, I don't see it as a valid replacement for the traditional Duke games, where you pick up every weapon you find and use them to your heart's desire (Where now you have to just pick the best long and short range weapon and use that through the whole game).

I'm liking that aspect, there seems to be numerous weapons left around, and it encourages players to make use over the wideyl varied weapons, and not just rely on shotgun/RPG to endlessly and repetitively mow their way through.

It's a poorly thought out demo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Spear wrote: »
    I'm liking that aspect, there seems to be numerous weapons left around, and it encourages players to make use over the wideyl varied weapons, and not just rely on shotgun/RPG to endlessly and repetitively mow their way through.

It's a poorly thought out demo though.

Isn't it the other way around ?

People will now just pick up the best long range and short range weapon, and stick with those two.

If I want to use a rocket launcher to blow up a pig I want to be able to.
    I mean, come on, it's not like you're playing that pussy Master Chief is it ?
    This is Duke we're talking about, he should be able to carry dozens of weapons and a crate of beer at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I never considered Duke to be that close to reality - carrying only two weapons seems to be an unnecessary drop from the last game and mirror of what is in modern FPSs. That and the regeneration of health are something I would rather not have seen in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This is Duke we're talking about, he should be able to carry dozens of weapons and a crate of beer at the same time.
    And a hooker for good measure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Monotype wrote: »
    That and the regeneration of health are something I would rather not have seen in this.

The only way Duke should be able to regenerate health is by drinking from smashed urinals and fire hydrants.

In the sea that is generic modern realistic FPS games, this game should rely heavily on original Duke 3D aspects like the above to try to stand out.

Really had my hopes up for this, but I'm starting to get worried the more 'realistic' I hear it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

o1s1n wrote: »
    The only way Duke should be able to regenerate health is by drinking from smashed urinals and fire hydrants.

:D I think that would take a while. I remember playing duke 3d and thinking, "Should I pick up that healthpack or use the infinite health supply and keep the healthpack for later?" Slurp, slurp, slurp...(two minutes later)... slurp, slurp.

I completely agree with the points. I think I first saw 2 or 3 weapons around FEAR. I wasn't happy but it did make sense and it was something different. The regeneration of health was an interesting novelty but it's thrown around everywhere now. I can accept it in something like Crysis, where a suit could be healing you, but it's more fun to have the healthpacks, in my opinion, and pushes people to explore and look around - at least have some variation instead of looking at what everyone else is doing!

Monotype wrote: »
    :D I think that would take a while. I remember playing duke 3d and thinking, "Should I pick up that healthpack or use the infinite health supply and keep the healthpack for later?" Slurp, slurp, slurp...(two minutes later)... slurp, slurp.
    I found it slightly annoying when trying to kill people, though. Slurp slurp bang bang bang slurp slurp... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Plays refreshing old-school on the 360. I hoped for a souped-up version of Serious Sam and this looks like delivering. The only not of caution is that the demo frame-rate is pretty poor, hope this is different in the final product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Annoyed at the weapon thing TBH.

It is not supposed to be a COD game but I guess it might help the balance of the game.

The health thing doesn't bother me as health packs are kinda redundant in games anyway since you collect the health pack and they just put them in places where they would suit. They are even more redundant if you can carry one with you and use at will and you would just cover to do so.

I think the best option would be that you have health to get through a fire fight and medic stations at various parts in a war type game where you get healed back up.

Its laughable in games like COD that are "realistic" where you get infinite health.

Really need to clear something up because its really starting to annoy me whoever spread the rumour that the health system is like COD:

The health system is not regenerative. You only begin to regenerate health after getting down to about 20% health or lower, and your health only regenerates up to about 20%.

You have to actively find ways to heal the rest of that back up either by exploring the level to perform ego boosting tasks such as lifting weights, admiring yourself in the mirror or other things, and there's also speculation that you gain a small amount of health every time you kill an enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Isn't it the other way around ?

People will now just pick up the best long range and short range weapon, and stick with those two.

If I want to use a rocket launcher to blow up a pig I want to be able to.
    I mean, come on, it's not like you're playing that pussy Master Chief is it ?

Amen to that brother, I want to be able to kill each enemy in various ways and experiment like in Duke3D,
    without having to run back every 2 seconds to switch weapons.

It just slows the game down and gets very annoying quickly.

Well, i gave in and downloaded the naughty demo since I didn't get my access code, even though i paid 10 euro more for the priviledge! ;)

Found the monster truck section difficult on Come Get Some,
    if you dont hit the boost when you see a Pigcop, they will rape your ego with one shot.

The levels so far feel very much constrained compared to duke3D,
    when they should be quite the opposite considering the advancements in technology.

They're certainly not as vertical anyway!

Was enjoyable though, but would be much better if it was more retro in terms of level design!
    Which ironically means more unlimited and open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Steam pre-load is up now.

Postponed a decade ago, that is :P I couldn't help myself from posting that :pac:

So, who else has this pre-ordered? According to SteamPowered.com it'll be unlocked for us Midnight Friday :cool: Pre-loading it now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

amazon should be shipping it tomorrow or thursday so.. should have it monday or tuesday

I dont really care that much, so I'm not in the least bit jealous of people who are getting it digitally. I just hope it's a moderately entertaining game

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ordered it on Gamestop last month. Hoping to have it on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So wait. It's this Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I can wait another 14 years. Watch the price skyplummet in 6 months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

the_syco wrote: »
    Postponed a decade ago, that is :P I couldn't help myself from posting that :pac:

You're an asshole.I hope you're smug in the knowledge that you got me.

Well played :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

In fairness, it went gold a while ago, so it'd be very, very rare for it to be delayed again. Although this is Duke Nukem. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

im confused... :confused: is it really postponed or...?

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You're an asshole.I hope you're smug in the knowledge that you got me.

Well played :)
    Over 170 views in 2 hours, and only a handful of posts? I don't think you were the only one that I caught out :D

=-=

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar & Overheal: aye, but I need something to tide me over until BF3, and I do believe this will do me. Portal 2 has gotten a bit boring lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm waiting for reviews and will then probably wait for it to be on sale, unless it's generally believed to be mind blowing. I lost interest in Duke a long time ago. But I loved the previous games, so there's a tiny niggling desire to play it, hidden at the back of my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Far to expensive to buy at launch, for what might be an utter pile of Duke piss.

You bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Was watching the first half hour of gameplay on Youtube. Looked extremely linear compared to Duke 3D (like every FPS these days) but the humour and set pieces were entertaining. I'd say this will be a solid if not spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Was watching the first half hour of gameplay on Youtube. Looked extremely linear compared to Duke 3D (like every FPS these days) but the humour and set pieces were entertaining. I'd say this will be a solid if not spectacular.

From what I've watched of it so far I'm impressed. It was never going to be a case that I could ignore this game (after waiting so long for it :D) but I will defo be picking this up on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So lads, it's Friday, right?

Can't wait to put my hands on those balls.... Of steel!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Play have shipped me my balls, 3-5 days to wait.

Duke 3d not linear??? What?? Duke 3d is as linear as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Having played the demo, i almost wish it was getting delayed. Dear oh dear :(

Advertisement