Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Duke 3d not linear??? What?? Duke 3d is as linear as it gets.

The level progression was linear but the levels themselves were more open and nonlinear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Never saw the fascination with Duke. Shadow Warrior was where it was at.

"Ah, you want to wash Wang? or you want to watch Wang wash wang?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I never liked Shadow Warrior that much.. it's only a step above Redneck Rampage.

Duke3D is linear - just some of the levels have multiple paths due to having to subsitute as multiplayer levels too.

I never liked Shadow Warrior that much.. it's only a step above Redneck Rampage.

Duke3D is linear - just some of the levels have multiple paths due to having to subsitute as multiplayer levels too.

Retrogamer...what he said.

Anyway where the hell are the reviews :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

just about to settle down for a game now

not expecting much

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Helix wrote: »
    just about to settle down for a game now

not expecting much

I know already that you will nail it to cross and tell everyone to sharpen the pitchforks. I don't expect you to like it as you newer showed any interest in it. I usually listen in to your words, but you have negative attitude already on it. I'll skip your word ;).

I personally really hope it to be fun, but you newer know these days.

I really hope you will have some amount of fun with it. Keep us posted.
    Offtopic, but how do you feel about new Alice game?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

AFAIK Reviews are embargo'd till release day and there is a reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I used to get lost or stuck in Duke 3D loads. It wasn't till I was a bit older when I rented it on the Playstation I managed to work my way through most of the missions. There were addon levels on it that were really confusing.

Nowadays there's a totally different design ethos. They bring in non gamers to test and anything where people gets stuck or lost gets taken out or signposted. Like in this game everything glows yellow like "Click here you idiots".

Even if they've dumbed it down a bit at least they're laughing at it. There was one bit where the door goes "You need a red keycard to access this door" and I thought it's been a while since I've seen that in a game and Duke just says something like "**** that, I don't need a keycard" and pulls it open with his hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

UT3 engine = meh, at least it will run ok on most PCs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

AFAIK Reviews are embargo'd till release day and there is a reason for that.

I take it you have both played it and reviewed it? Just waiting for the embargo to lift?

Liber8or wrote: »
    I take it you have both played it and reviewed it? Just waiting for the embargo to lift?

You mean they are not allowed to say a word before release? Is that very common?

Can I atleast get a pm with s - for **** and g - good lol.

You mean they are not allowed to say a word before release? Is that very common?

Can I atleast get a pm with s - for **** and g - good lol.

you cant really say anything in an official capacity

i tend to give my opinion on things pre embargo though, coz im a rebel

you cant really say anything in an official capacity

i tend to give my opinion on things pre embargo though, coz im a rebel

Do it so :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's a weird one. I don't think, that given the game's history, anyone expects it to be great. I'd settle for half-decent to be honest, a nice little nostalgic trip and a 6 or 7/10.

However I think there will be certain reviewers that will have their claws out. It's a bit of a milestone release and with such a shady and mixed history, the scope is there for a great biting review.

Do it so :p;)

honestly, i dont know what to make of it

im trying my best to be as open minded as possible, but theres absolutely no disguising that it looks like a 5 year old game and plays like a 10 year old one

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

honestly, i dont know what to make of it

im trying my best to be as open minded as possible, but theres absolutely no disguising that it looks like a 5 year old game and plays like a 10 year old one

Pretty much what I expected. I reckon there'll be sections that look attrocious and parts that look much more modern.

The big question though, are you having fun with it?

The big question though, are you having fun with it?

im not sure

i cant decide if im actually having fun or im trying my best to convince myself i am

ill tell you whats not fun though, the ridiculous loading times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

im not sure

i cant decide if im actually having fun or im trying my best to convince myself i am

Then I'd say you're not having fun, you'd know if you really were.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Then I'd say you're not having fun, you'd know if you really were.

probably true

it just feels so dated really

im not going to give any verdict til ive played though though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

nuxxx wrote: »
    UT3 engine = meh, at least it will run ok on most PCs

have you palyed the demo? Cause maxed out it actually runs at 30 fps for the most part for me. Which is bull**** cause my rig can run every UE3 engine game maxed @ 60FPS. Unless it gets optimised it seems fairly ****ty peformance wise

I'd see it playing like a dated 10 year old FPS as a positive, but maybe I'm just odd like that.

i never said it played like a GOOD 10 year old fps :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yikes, every video I've come across on the full game the uploaders haven't been kind to it. They all say the gameplay is generic crap with the humour being it's only saving grace.

I suspect harsh backlash against this game when the actual reviews come out given the game's profile.

i never said it played like a GOOD 10 year old fps :P

Hehe good one.

Hmmm this gAme will make or destroy gearbox. Taking the risk of making duke nuken forever is Same as calling your child a Jesus. Everyone have huge expectations.

I need to see this game myself I guess, I like odd ****.

Atleast you not saying after 15 mins: it's pure **** and should be buried for anather 12 years! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK, syco had his fun. :)
    Merging the content with the main Duke thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mr E wrote: »
    OK, syco had his fun. :)
    Merging the content with the main Duke thread.
    Please don't ban anyone for their comments in jest, esp as now they're in the main thread... they may seem like personal abuse out of context :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No probs. ;)

The lack of reviews is very worrying. Usually a few days before release, you'd have some magazine reviews at least showing up in Metacritic. Still no sign of any reviews.

I'll be renting tomorrow anyway. It'll be nice to play something mindless, lewd and violent after a few weeks of Portal 2. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I have my doubts about the humour tbh. Every video is at pains to show how low brow the humour is and to me it's overkill. Far more amusing in small doses if you ask me. A bit like the videos of Fallout 3 that I saw before it was released where they spent most of the time showing VATS and body parts flying everywhere and all I'm thinking is I want an RPG.

Fingers crossed it will be good but I'm waiting like others have said. Duke was about more than just strippers. There was excellent atmosphere and a really cool game world to go with it. Can they produce the same? Like I said doubts. Right now it looks like they gambled on pieces of sh1t all over the game world being a winner for them.

• Advertisement

I would have assumed the reviewers would have been kind to it. Kicking 3d realms (who did most of the design work) when they're down seems a bit pointless at this stage.

Advertisement