Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A bad game is a bad game. I'd rather an honest review than to pander to developers who took 5 times longer than they should have to get a game out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mr E wrote: »
    A bad game is a bad game. I'd rather an honest review than to pander to developers who took 5 times longer than they should have to get a game out.
    Although I agree, I tend not to get swayed by reviewers if I'm getting the game or not.

I don't get swayed by any individual reviewers, but I definitely take a metascore into account. I know Duke will be a throwaway title (play through once, have a laugh, then forget about it), so it will be a rental for me. Really looking forward to playing it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

it might be worth pointing out that Duke 3D came out the same time as Quake 1 and had Doom engine graphics, what made it cool was cheap humour, strippers, toilet use, original weapons.

snobbery about the game engine being old in games really bugs me, people complaining about portal 2 because it wasn't running in the frostbite 3 engine from the future and so on. I'd be happy if DNF still used the old Doom engine so long as it's still fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Spacedog wrote: »
    it might be worth pointing out that Duke 3D came out the same time as Quake 1 and had Doom engine graphics, what made it cool was cheap humour, strippers, toilet use, original weapons. .

Duke 3D used the Build Engine, not the Doom engine. It's more comparable to things like Blood and Shadow Warrior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Hehe good one.

Hmmm this gAme will make or destroy gearbox. Taking the risk of making duke nuken forever is Same as calling your child a Jesus. Everyone have huge expectations.

Nah it wont, Gearbox will be fine. Most people wil lassociate the game with 3d Realms, and Gearbox still have big hitters like borderlands 2, colonial marines, and new BiA on the way.
    Most people imrpessions so far seem lukewarm at best, and scathing at worst.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah the lack of reviews is a big concern. Personally, having been way too young for the whole Duke 3D business, I have no connection to the series and it all just seems kind of naff these days. I'm sure it'll be a fairly standard shooter with a healthy dose of unreality and a deeply misogynistic streak - but not one I'm particularly interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Yeah the lack of reviews is a big concern. Personally, having been way too young for the whole Duke 3D business, I have no connection to the series and it all just seems kind of naff these days. I'm sure it'll be a fairly standard shooter with a healthy dose of unreality and a deeply misogynistic streak - but not one I'm particularly interested in.

This game is more or less sellign on nostalgia. Id say if you dont have any great love for the Duke name, youd ****ing hate this game, based on the demo anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I would have assumed the reviewers would have been kind to it. Kicking 3d realms (who did most of the design work) when they're down seems a bit pointless at this stage.

no point being nice to a game just because the developers are having a tough time of it

perhaps if they made better games they wouldnt be doing so badly :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Don't know saw the demo, seemed like a laugh.

This game has some original elements that other FPS don't really have that will make it a mild change from the norm.

Even if the graphics aren't up to scratch.

I wouldn't pay much attention to review numbers. You can buy many of them and Duke probably doesn't have the funds to after so many years of development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's meant to be naff! It's Duke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Wasn't overly impressed with the demo, though 12 years waiting will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i think people are taking this 12 years figure a bit wrong. it was not developed for 12 years, it was 12 years developed, delayed, canned, then developed again, then scraped, then company go bust, then started again, then delayed etc. it was not 12 years of pure non stop development.

i like gearbox, but i am afraid that expectations might be too high. i loved duke,and i will love to kick ass with duke a bit more, even if it wount be perfect game.

i think people are taking this 12 years figure a bit wrong. it was not developed for 12 years, it was 12 years developed, delayed, canned, then developed again, then scraped, then company go bust, then started again, then delayed etc. it was not 12 years of pure non stop development.

i dont think theres anyone on the planet who doesnt understand that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Helix wrote: »
    i dont think theres anyone on the planet who doesnt understand that lol

trust me, there is. i hear alot "its 12 years in development, it should be good and print money, then make any woman pregnant 5 milles radius " :rolleyes:

so did you finished your review on it? sorry i was at work, and looks like threads were merged, and i am too tired after work to dig in to all old posts.... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

In fact the trailer even said this so they have hyped it for people to expect that level really.

Obviously it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

After a few hours, not too impressed. It's basically DN3D with shiny graphics, which are poor by todays standards (though I hear there are issues with the 360 version, which I am playing)

I'll slog through it, but definitely no repeat viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

chrislad wrote: »
    After a few hours, not too impressed. It's basically DN3D with shiny graphics, which are poor by todays standards (though I hear there are issues with the 360 version, which I am playing)

I'll slog through it, but definitely no repeat viewings.
    lol, it spend 10 of those 14 years in development specifically because they wanted it to have mind blowing graphics. And graphics have been stunted for a while. I cant believe they couldnt pick up.

I revel in the delicious failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Overheal wrote: »
    I revel in the delicious failure.

why? So why can have another fail game not to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

why? So why can have another fail game not to play?
    Pretty much :P I'm sure I'll pick it up for a couple dollars at some point.

• Advertisement

trust me, there is. i hear alot "its 12 years in development, it should be good and print money, then make any woman pregnant 5 milles radius " :rolleyes:

so did you finished your review on it? sorry i was at work, and looks like threads were merged, and i am too tired after work to dig in to all old posts.... :o

nah not yet, other more pressing work related matters to get out of the way first. will have it done tonight though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Jumpy wrote: »

I've always wanted to play this, but I didn't own a PC so never got the chance. There was a computer shop in my down that stocked that game, so you'd often find me there drooling over the cover, lol. This is the first time I've actually seen it in action though. Looks like great craic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Along with Blood, Shadow Warrior is the best build engine game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anyone have any info on map builders/mod tools for this? Remember paying some awesome maps after finishing Duke3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Along with Blood, Shadow Warrior is the best build engine game imo.

I remember back in day going to my mates house to play Duke 3D, blood and shadow warrior, then later redneck rampage.

Ancient Chinese secret: Man who buy drowned cat, get wet pussy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

could never get into shadow warrior, but blood is indeed one of the finest fps.. possibly even finest games ever made

blood 2 was ****ing dreadful though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I remember back in day going to my mates house to play Duke 3D, blood and shadow warrior, then later redneck rampage.

For me it was going to a friends house to play a spot of DN3D followed by some Witchaven.

Ah, when times were simple. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I have played two hours of it so far and early impressions are:

I dont give a rats arse about graphics but the level decor is nice but it seems very linear, not like the duke 3D levels with back tracking with keys and exploring a complex (that was over a decade ago). The enemy AI is as good as Duke 3D and they put up a bit of a fight, the animations are cool for the Pig Cops. Your fellow NPCs end up talking to thin air as I'm walking around, like there're blind and really need to say their piece.

The weapons are bollocks, very low ammo ceiling (eg max 28 shells with shotgun, 5 rockets for the RPG), I was walking around with the shotgun and ripper (you can only hold two at a time) and I came to a large open crater and at the lip of the crater was a RPG launcher and I know that I have a tactical decision which will affect the blah blah blah..... I want to have fun, not sit there and read my ammo meters, not wonder if I should go back and find a discarded weapon.

The EGO health system is a poor regen system, I miss med packs, med kits, being force to explore or hightail it

The game has no quick save feature but does have a checkpoint system and is way too easy on Medium (lets rock) but after two hours I dont want to go back and play it over at a higher difficulty, I really just want to plough through this and uninstall it.

PC mulitplayer has no dedicated servers (lag central) and has auto VOIP on for some people I cant seem to disable it other than switching off my mic. Nothing really worthy here

As for the game atmosphere, It's so tired and run of the mill, there is some tongue and cheek humour with one or two giggles but its forced. Its really going to have to pull out some miracle levels to save this game for me.

When is the review embargo due to be lifted?
    Are Europeans expected to buy this game blind?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OSI wrote: »

Reviewed on XBox.

Loading times, eh? Thank goodness I don't have an X-Box. I had a bash at the game this morning on PC and had no protracted loading times..

Advertisement