Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I've never really gotten into Duke Nukem. I played Time to Kill back in 2000 or so, enjoyed it but it was the only Duke game I played properly.

I've played the Duke Nukem game on XBLA can't remember the name though but I never played much of it.

This could be the first Duke game I'll actually sit and enjoy for a long time I reckon but I'm not going to get my hopes right up. It does look pretty sweet though going from the videos I've seen.

Hoping and looking forward to be buying it today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Thanks for the good, honest review SearrarD. I don't think I'll be getting this any time soon, but I might give it a go in a year or two for the sake of some loyalty and memories to the brand. I think that they would have been better off staying closer to the last game. I thought that 50 RPG max was fantastic at the time - great for multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

gamercfc wrote: »
    I've never really gotten into Duke Nukem. I played Time to Kill back in 2000 or so, enjoyed it but it was the only Duke game I played properly.

Duke Nukem 3D and things like Time to Kill are completely different games...those third person versions feel more like fan made outings rather than cannon. You really haven't experienced Duke Nukem until you've played 3D and the expansions.

And I'll go one further to say you haven't really experienced Duke Nukem until you've played 3D back in 1996 when you were 12 and thought the idea of pixelated boobies was the best thing you've ever seen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

o1s1n wrote: »
    And I'll go one further to say you haven't really experienced Duke Nukem until you've played 3D back in 1996 when you were 12 and thought the idea of pixelated boobies was the best thing you've ever seen :D

I was 23 in 1996 and I was still excited by pixelated boobies. In fact, I still am.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Apparently Critical Mass on the DS brings the awesome*: http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/duke-nukem-critical-mass

*may or may not be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"Decrypting Steam files" for Duke...

162408.jpg

OSI wrote: »
    You only have about 4 different installs to go before you can play it so.
    Hrm. Will let it do it's thing, so when I come back later after "Teste of Dublin", it'll be ready :D

/edit
    Had a quick games after eating my toasted cheese sambos. The first game was silly easy, but was only a "tip of the hat" to Duke3D in fairness. Hoping the actual game is better. Looked very consoley, though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Some reviews coming in now for Pc on Metacritic:
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/duke-nukem-forever

Not too bad really. Does it really lack dedicated servers. I thought it was going to have them for PC :(

You can always tell if a developer cares based on how they do multiplayer servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Not bad score so not that I care about it (own the game anyway :P)
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/68811/duke-nukem-forever-dedicated-servers

Definitely dedicated servers for Pc but real elsewhere the feature will be unsupported (read we won't fix any bugs reported in the server technology such as memory leaks).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Finally, 14 years later I can finally play and see what this game is all about :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Finally, 14 years later I can finally play and see what this game is all about :D

I could have told you fourteen years ago: shooting **** and misogyny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

PC Gamer have a great description of Duke:

"Like a hyper-violent, over-sexed Peter Pan, Duke Nukem refuses to grow up."

I could have told you fourteen years ago: shooting **** and misogyny!

I grew up loving Duke3D and all of those games that came out around the same time like Blood.

Having played about an hour and a half of it I think it's alright. It's funny but the game mechanics are a bit wierd, definitely a game that should've been out 3-4 years ago. The humour is still Duke anyways :D

Still, I'm enjoying it and I don't think it's as awful as alot of people have made it out to be. Graphics are fine too but they were never going to be a problem for me, once you get into a game you don't pass much heed on the graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Installing it on the xbox now. Damn it, it better be good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Is it out on 360 today... and are shops stocking it?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Is it out on 360 today... and are shops stocking it?
    HMV,
    65 Grafton Street,
    Dublin 2.
    Tel.: 01-6795334

Confirmed they have 50 in stock, selling at €49.50 each

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Unfortunately I didn't get my Balls Of Steel edition today, thanks to the good people of Game in Galway who don't seem to believe in selling me games that I have pre-ordered over a month in advance. Last time I'll purchase video games in that shop! I was too damn pissed off after this to buy the regular edition. Might pick it up during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

deathrider wrote: »
    Unfortunately I didn't get my Balls Of Steel edition today, thanks to the good people of Game in Galway who don't seem to believe in selling me games that I have pre-ordered over a month in advance. Last time I'll purchase video games in that shop! I was too damn pissed off after this to buy the regular edition. Might pick it up during the week.
    Preordering special editions in GAME has never gone successfully in my experience. They never have it for me. I only ever do it online now. They have one distribution centre and know their stock levels so can only sell what they have. Shops like game on the other hand are told to sell, sell, sell. Most of the time they cant fulfil the preorders with the stock they've been given. The last time I preordered with Game they were completely unapologetic. I said 'never again'. And that was over 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Preordering special editions in GAME has never gone successfully in my experience. They never have it for me. I only ever do it online now. They have one distribution centre and know their stock levels so can only sell what they have. Shops like game on the other hand are told to sell, sell, sell. Most of the time they cant fulfil the preorders with the stock they've been given. The last time I preordered with Game they were completely unapologetic. I said 'never again'. And that was over 3 years ago.

This is only the second time I've pre-oredered there. I'm not one for pre-ordering in general unless it's a very important game to me, so this is only the third game I've ever pre-ordered (the others being Splatterhouse and Mortal Kombat). With MK they had it there on the day, that was grand, but didn't have the fatalites/costumes that I was supposed to get with my pre-order. Took about three trips into town before I got my hands on that DLC. I thought I'd give them the beneift of the doubt though, that's why I pre-ordered Duke there. This, however is the very last time I'll ever step foot in the place. I was left completely high and dry, not to mention the staff being so smug about it that I actually felt insulted.
    Lesson very much learned :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Maybe my memory is failing me but i remember Duke being quite a good game with funny non-PC dialogue, but that the smut wasn't what made it a good game. It was more the icing on the cake.

This is a poor game with some not so funny smut thrown in, in the belief that that's all the player wants, its almost like they totally missed the point.

I loose sympathy for developers who moan about 2nd hand sales when they pull off crap like this. They knew this would be a big seller just from nostalgia and in turn the hype would push further sales, they made a half arsed game held back the reviews because they knew it was bad. Then took their pre order sales (the game went gold) and ran with the money.

Hmmmmm I know what our reviewer friend ment with " I don't know how I feel about the game ".

I know one thing for sure: I made mistake by buying an xbox version. Is balls of steel edition and normal editions are identical? As I might keep the goodies from balls of steel and trade in to pick up pc version.

I need to play more, but lack of health bar and no more exploration makes it hard to love as old good duke :( . I loved looking for secrets and hidden ****.

I am enjoying animations and combat thought, it does feel that you put a bullet in body, not a rag doll...

Okay feck this.

Well worth 50 quid.

I honestly lolled.

" power armour is for pussies "

I wont spoil it, to athers, but that was really funny.

I'm at Duke Burger at the moment and so far I'm actually really enjoying the game, some really funny parts and easter eggs. It's a slow start considering the amount of the same footage we've seen so we know what things to expect but once I got further it began to pay off.
    Anyone notice during the Strip Club the Inception nod?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Enjoyign it a fair bit myself actually. The intro was great. Graphics are seriously hit and mis, at times its passable, at times absolutely horrible. Gunplay feels exactly like DN3D. Its decent. Not amazing, but dukes humour really ties the room together

I'm loving the monster truck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ugly and clunky as hell, but it seems to be enjoyable all the same.

I need to play more, but lack of health bar and no more exploration makes it hard to love as old good duke :( . I loved looking for secrets and hidden ****.
    The "health bar" is called Dukes "ego", and can be seen at the top left hand corner. Looking at himself in the mirror, and punching the crap out of bad guys gets your ego (health) back up.

When Duke drinks a can of
    beer
    it is so so so SOOOOO excellent!!! :D
    BEERrrr gives me strength!

Also the part where
    he comes across some actor b|tching at a employee of some type, the fact that I can knockout the actor with the punch (before he gets into the bunker at the start)
    is a nice touch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Having fun (despite the graphics and clunky gameplay).
    God the loading times are dreadful though.... really bad (360).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I loved the
    Hulk Hogan jib
    "Take your pills... er... vitamins every day and you might grow up to be as awesome as me."

:D

Advertisement