Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Only ever duke nukem i played was time to kill, is duke nukem forever any good can anyone tell me

Also looks like randy pitchford is holding reviewers accountable if they give duke nukem forever a bad score

http://www.gamefront.com/gearboxs-randy-pitchford-reviewers-who-dont-like-duke-nukem-forever-will-be-held-accountable/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Only ever duke nukem i played was time to kill, is duke nukem forever any good can anyone tell me

Also looks like randy pitchford is holding reviewers accountable if they give duke nukem forever a bad score

http://www.gamefront.com/gearboxs-randy-pitchford-reviewers-who-dont-like-duke-nukem-forever-will-be-held-accountable/

Probably afraid of Metacritic score. I believe developer's remuneration from the publisher is also based on metacritic scores as well as sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

the_syco wrote: »
    The "health bar" is called Dukes "ego", and can be seen at the top left hand corner. Looking at himself in the mirror, and punching the crap out of bad guys gets your ego (health) back up.

When Duke drinks a can of
    beer
    it is so so so SOOOOO excellent!!! :D
    BEERrrr gives me strength!

Also the part where
    he comes across some actor b|tching at a employee of some type, the fact that I can knockout the actor with the punch (before he gets into the bunker at the start)
    is a nice touch :D

M8, I am not that stupid ;)

I mean proper health bar which goes down and you look for med packs and armors in secret spots.

I just get that modernising taste in duke im this game. That regen health bull**** and from corridor to corridor experience.

I miss being lost for 4 hours in one level :) .

Thougt need damn pc version. Sp does anyone know if normal version is different to balls of steel? As
    I will just trade in for pc version and keep the goodies.

P.s. I still love it thought, duke saves it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I guess the PC version must be significantly better then from reports here.

I've seen my brother on his PS3 playing and graphics look low res and crap and load times take ages.

On my Pc, graphics look good (graphics are pretty good actually especially on NPC, some poor ones though as well) with high resolution making textures much nicer and load times are about 3-5 seconds on my PC.

thebman wrote: »
    load times are about 3-5 seconds on my PC.

They seem a lot longer on the PS3, even after installing about 4gb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Absolutely loving the game a lot more than I expected.

Gameplay is ****ing fantastic, ridiculously fun, i've been putting more time than i should into some of the interactive games.

I think the graphics are great, not so much in terms of high resolution,
    but more along the lines of how colourful the game is.

The action is extremely varied too which I like.

Its very easy to get over the little shortcomings when you're too busy having fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

waveform wrote: »
    Absolutely loving the game a lot more than I expected.

Gameplay is ****ing fantastic, ridiculously fun, i've been putting more time than i should into some of the interactive games.

I think the graphics are great, not so much in terms of high resolution,
    but more along the lines of how colourful the game is.

The action is extremely varied too which I like.

Its very easy to get over the little shortcomings when you're too busy having fun.

Yes it really is worthwhile going and playing with the toys and stuff littered around the place especially if you think the game seems a bit linear as they are a nice diversion and it seems a good bit of time has gone into them.

The Pinball is especially good fun :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The strip club really shows what this game is about in terms of humour and interactivity. I spent so long trying playing all the games and got a laugh from
    The Glory Hole
    :D

I'm glad this isn't as bad as people were making it out to be. It's not groundbreaking but, dammit, I'm enjoying it.

So is this worth a purchase or just a rent?

So is this worth a purchase or just a rent?

Depends on a few things, or you a fan of duke3D?

Do you want to be able to play the 3rd DLC coming out which has 12 levels?

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    Depends on a few things, or you a fan of duke3D?

Do you want to be able to play the 3rd DLC coming out which has 12 levels?

That is some fat dlc! Amy info on it?

Btw I don't see Any dlc codes in my game box. There were no codes with release? If no- thx god!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

any word on when the demo will go live for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Load times on the 360 are a joke alright... reminds me of C64 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Is that before or after installation? Tends to make a decent difference for a lot of games.

That is some fat dlc! Amy info on it?

Btw I don't see Any dlc codes in my game box. There were no codes with release? If no- thx god!

Sorry I got the figure wrong, it will actually be a FIFTEEN level DLC.

Basically a user called Hypn managed to extract the info by searching around the game files.

The news emerged here , (warning contains spoilers)

http://egamer.co.za/2011/06/duke-nukem-forever-full-achievement-list-downloadable-content-secret-areas-babes-and-cheats/

This is the source:

http://www.hypn.za.net/blog/2011/06/03/duke-nukem-forever-achievements-and-secret-areas-etc/

Jon St John also hinted about the
    karaoke machine
    in DLC #3, so It just shows the guy didn't make that long list up:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-03-duke-nukem-forever-dlc-detailed

Now the question is, could you possibly wait (forever ;)) until the DLC comes out?

The game will go down in price a lot between then.

Personally I love the game so far and I'd recommend it to annyone who enjoyed Duke3D, or who enjoyed that era of fps games.*

It of course will probably not suit a lot of the younger gamers who missed that era.

* One thing which pissed me off just now, is that last night I went to "chapter select"
    to try and get an achievement in one of the first chapters I completed.

I was close to finishing the Lady Killer Chapter before that.

Just now I clicked "Continue Campaign", and instead of picking off (at the checkpoint) where I left in the Lady Killer chapter, its brought me back to the earlier one I was playing.

So basically I've lost all my progress in Lady Killer chapter, and have to start it all over again!

On a more positive note though, I actually wanted to replay all the great driving sequences I did last night, so now I'm forced to!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Load times are pretty awful for PC - leastways they are for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Load times are not too bad for me, 10-15 seconds in between levels and my machine is pretty average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Honetly, im enjoying this probably more than i did Killzone 3, and probably as much as i did Crysis 2 :D

Its just so old school, giant bosses, explosions, aliens, and a ton of distractions like all the interactive stuff, the miniature duke sections, the monster truck, i mean it plays like a 10 year old game, but honestly i dont think thats a bad thing. Compare it to a cod campaign where its just a shooting gallery and going from point A to B, and duke really shines. Even the platforming in DNF isnt too bad. Honestly, if the graphics were better and the load times shorter, id give this an 8. As it is, its a high 6/7 out of 10. Actually the humour bumps it up to a definite 7, some of the dialogue is hilarious

Honetly, im enjoying this probably more than i did Killzone 3, and probably as much as i did Crysis 2 :D

Its just so old school, giant bosses, explosions, aliens, and a ton of distractions like all the interactive stuff, the miniature duke sections, the monster truck, i mean it plays like a 10 year old game, but honestly i dont think thats a bad thing. Compare it to a cod campaign where its just a shooting gallery and going from point A to B, and duke really shines. Even the platforming in DNF isnt too bad. Honestly, if the graphics were better and the load times shorter, id give this an 8. As it is, its a high 6/7 out of 10. Actually the humour bumps it up to a definite 7, some of the dialogue is hilarious

you forgot awesome dukes voice when he is shrinked. ;) " WTF is this" :D

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Load times are pretty awful for PC - leastways they are for me.

Pretty fast on my PC also, its only a 7200rpm 16MB cache, compared to 64mb cache these days.

Either you have a slower hard drive, need to defrag your disk,
    or any load times over 10 seconds are "awful" to you! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

When is the review embargo up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

dreamers75 wrote: »
    When is the review embargo up ?

I don't think there is an embargo - they just never never sent out review code from what I can see. There are a few reviews up on metacritic already - coming in around 55/100 I think. Eurogamer said they'll have their review up on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Just finished it there. Overall very enjoyable, my only complaints:

loading sucks
    graphics very ropey at times
    ending is crap
    no space levels :(
    Last few levels are all indoors and lack the variey of the rest of the game

definite 7/10 anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Just finished it there. Overall very enjoyable, my only complaints:

loading sucks
    graphics very ropey at times
    ending is crap
    no space levels :(
    Last few levels are all indoors and lack the variey of the rest of the game

definite 7/10 anyway

What platform?

Hmmm so far really enjoying it and it gives really better sp experience them some block buster like cod... Thought everyone just going for awarege scores on it.

It's deffenetly better then 55/100

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus, this game is intensely mediocre; take away the nostalgia factor & the one-liners (not to mention the mythology of the game itself), and you're just left with a very boring corridor shooter.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Jesus, this game is intensely mediocre; take away the nostalgia factor & the one-liners (not to mention the mythology of the game itself), and you're just left with a very boring corridor shooter.

So far its less boring them cod black ops...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Played up as far as the first boss battle and am totally underwhelmed. The
    mini duke
    bit was crap and annoying, only being able to carry 2 guns and feck all ammo is crap not that it matters as there is ammo crates every 5 steps. The one-way level layout is annoying, but by far the worst thing is the regenerating health.
    I would say it is a 5/10 game for me, total waste of money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

10 years ago it would have been ahead of its time. Back then every level was the same and the idea that you could have a game that mixed it up with driving, turrets etc.. was new. But now that is standard with all FPS games.

I do like bosses, games these days need more boss levels.

Advertisement