Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

So far its less boring them cod black ops...
    That's not exactly an amazing feat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

What platform?

360. I have the PC version too which ill be trying out tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Healium wrote: »
    That's not exactly an amazing feat :pac:

Yup but it got more then 55...

I am not saying it's perfect game, I was disappointed by good few things, but FFs come on...

I presume I am getting to old now and I have different vision of fun... If I get a game where I have to run in corridors atleast I want to have to do it with duke and have a lough. Duke was right: power armour is for pussies.

Yup but it got more then 55...

I am not saying it's perfect game, I was disappointed by good few things, but FFs come on...

I presume I am getting to old now and I have different vision of fun... If I get a game where I have to run in corridors atleast I want to have to do it with duke and have a lough. Duke was right: power armour is for pussies.

Definitely :D

Like i said, its easily a 7/10 for campagin. I honesly think alot of the old school-ness of the game (no waypoint markers, mini maps, no hand holding) are probably putting alot of people off. But **** it thats how Duke was back in the day. Hell, i STILL cant finish all of LA meltdown in DN3D cause i get lost :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

pixelburp wrote: »
    Load times are pretty awful for PC - leastways they are for me.

Right someone posted about having the same problem with load times,

they had FXAA enabled in the graphics options.

Change that to FSAA, or None, and that should give you a whole new experience.

• Advertisement

Definitely :D

Like i said, its easily a 7/10 for campagin. I honesly think alot of the old school-ness of the game (no waypoint markers, mini maps, no hand holding) are probably putting alot of people off. But **** it thats how Duke was back in the day. Hell, i STILL cant finish all of LA meltdown in DN3D cause i get lost :D

Was it the fault line level you kept getting lost on?

That was a bitch of a level to find your way round alright!

waveform wrote: »
    Was it the fault line level you kept getting lost on?

That was a bitch of a level to find your way round alright!

haha yep that was it, ****ing level!! I still cant beat it, even now! I have the duke XBLA version and ill be buggered if i can figure out how to get past that bit

haha yep that was it, ****ing level!! I still cant beat it, even now! I have the duke XBLA version and ill be buggered if i can figure out how to get past that bit

I was playing it recently and got lost also, i think I resorted to turning off the clipping haha!

As for DNF settings, I'd also recommend turning off Post Processing Effects and Motion blur, i find the game much more visually appealing that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

People need to get over the linearity of the game. Not all games suit a non-linear structure. This is one of them TBH. Its supposed to always on the move game, with a direct goal and he is Duke, he doesn't get lost etc...

Most non-linear games are fairly linear anyway, two corridors that both end up in the same place isn't really that non-linear. Some games are properly open like GTA but it really wouldn't suit this game.

This is about as much fun as HL2 was for me back in the day. Really enjoying it TBH. I like games that have a purpose and a story line even if it is hammy with an obvious ending, its about the journey and the things you get to do on the way which are fun in this game.

Its a solid 8/10 at least from me. The controls are well implemented for the game, the weapons system is not really all that annoying as there are weapons everywhere and you usually have a choice of 3-4 weapons per fight if you look around you.

All things considered, I think most people are nit-picking and being overly harsh having expected more from a game that was always going to seem dated anyway.

The shrink levels, I loved (its not a spoiler if you have ever played a Duke Nukem game). Well layed out combat platforms and the game is fairly long so you get value for money. The driving controls are very well done. People seem to overlook that a lot of these things are done in modern games but poorly implemented.

There is a lot of subtle details in this game and a lot of play testing obviously went into it which makes it polished even with dated graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Really underwhelmed with a few things;

Variety of weapons - I use the shotgun and ripper almost all the time and when I need another type of weapon, it is handed to me on a plate.

Only 2 guns, and frequent ammo crates - I am at max ammo so often its unreal

Regenerating health - Even on hard this just removes the risk or reward of being shot or not, health is infinite

So I effectively have infinite ammo, health and a super linear level to navigate with all puzzles just kind of solving themself (I have hints off and all)

I am kind of enjoying it, but if it had been more old school in health and weapon management, and had a greater variety of enemies and weapons, it would be far better.

I agree with anyone who said without the name and history, this would be a very mediocre shooter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK I'm a bit further in. The loading times are driving me nuts.
    I could only imagine what this is like to play on Hard or Insane (you'd need to be insane to try it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

But you'd be a pussy not to.

/Duke

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Enjoying this, its mindless.

Load times not long for me but frequent as i have died quite a few times and then the game taunts me during the load screens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm having fun with this anyway. It keeps you entertained. It's definitley not boring which is a bonus. A good break from the 'Go here, shoot here, go there shoot there' FPS games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Load times are wrecking my head. Die... wait 60 seconds, die...wait 60 seconds, repeat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reviews are creeping out; I just had a read of Eurogamer's and it gives it a bit of a kicking. To be honest, the review pretty much sums up all my feelings on the game: it's an unpolished, unfunny, uninspired mess. I've stopped playing at this stage because I've better things to do with my time than play this rubbish. After all these years, ha; what a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Reviews are creeping out; I just had a read of Eurogamer's and it gives it a bit of a kicking. To be honest, the review pretty much sums up all my feelings on the game: it's an unpolished, unfunny, uninspired mess.

If it was made in england it would have got 11/10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

dreamers75 wrote: »
    If it was made in england it would have got 11/10.
    Uhmm... what?

Bull, dreamers75. A bad game is a bad game.
    I'm glad I rented. Not sure if I'll even finish it on the 360 (unless they patch it to fix loading times).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

God bless my i7, loading times haven't been an issue at all for me. Game's ok, nothing special. Never was a huge fan of the Duke games. Average/slightly above the average generic crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Opening the doors in the Hive. You have no soul it you don't think that's funny!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Does installing it on 360 improve the loading times?

Not a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr E wrote: »
    Bull, dreamers75. A bad game is a bad game.
    I'm glad I rented. Not sure if I'll even finish it on the 360 (unless they patch it to fix loading times).

He's commenting on the fact that eurogamer are far too lenient on games that are made inthe UK.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He's commenting on the fact that eurogamer are far too lenient on games that are made inthe UK.
    But completely irrelevant to this thread: reading the review, it nails all the main sticking points the game has against it. The final score's a bit harsh, but as a critique of the game it's a good yardstick imo.
    Should be interesting to see what Yahtzee makes of it if he gets around to reviewing the game.

Reviews are creeping out; I just had a read of Eurogamer's and it gives it a bit of a kicking. To be honest, the review pretty much sums up all my feelings on the game: it's an unpolished, unfunny, uninspired mess. I've stopped playing at this stage because I've better things to do with my time than play this rubbish. After all these years, ha; what a disappointment.

Wow talk about your overly harsh review.

Most of the game issues disappear if playing on Pc from what I can see and a lot of what he talks about is just not actually an issue if you know how to play games at all.

The weapons thing I already covered in my previous post but then he complains about the difficulty. The difficulty is on the hard side but it isn't difficult to take cover. It doesn't have an overly in your face cover system like GOW but you can duck behind stuff or hide behind walls.

I've not played it online and by the looks of that review, neither did he. It reads like an article designed to get views and comments by being overly negative and slamming the game.

thebman wrote: »
    Wow talk about your overly harsh review.

Most of the game issues disappear if playing on Pc from what I can see and a lot of what he talks about is just not actually an issue if you know how to play games at all.

The weapons thing I already covered in my previous post but then he complains about the difficulty. The difficulty is on the hard side but it isn't difficult to take cover. It doesn't have an overly in your face cover system like GOW but you can duck behind stuff or hide behind walls.

I've not played it online and by the looks of that review, neither did he. It reads like an article designed to get views and comments by being overly negative and slamming the game.

i think thats what happening too. it fashionable to be just plain BAD about the game. its like " hey, look at me, i dont like a duke, I AM GOD NOW, you little ****s!"

not perfect game, i have bought worse games then that from big respectable companies. atleast this one makes me giggle.

Well one thing that games like DNF and HL2 have over "modern FPS" is pacing to the story and not just being 100% about shooting and killing things.

I mean the COD series seems to have been about cutting out all the other bits of FPS and making sure there is as little time between the battle fights as possible. Which leads to the inevitable, too much of a good thing if your into that sort of thing as you just get bored of doing the same thing over and over.

Games like DNF offer mixed game play to keep things interesting and its obvious that many younger gamers are unfamiliar with this it seems and think FPS should be 100% FPS.

This game and Metroid Prime on the Gamecube also have a lot in common IMO although its not as well implemented here.

MP won game of the year when it came out and this got a 3/10, Go figure... I know this isn't MP but it is a point or two below it. MP was a 10/10 for me and this is an 8 for the graphics being below bar and a few other issues which aren't really game breakers.

The reviews on PS3 and Pc seem to be the best. They must have done something wrong in the 360 port anyway. Graphics on consoles are terrible by comparison to PC though and the controls don't seem to have been as fine tuned to consoles as they could have been from reading the console reviews although maybe they are just used to enemies that don't move so fast and aren't almost as powerful as their character.

Jesus the mighty foot level is awfully fun, and much longer than I expected.
    The vehicle handling is very polished and nice to control, probably the best I've seen in an FPS.

Gearbox did a great job with the demo for hardcore Duke Nukem fans like myself.

They put some of the shortest and least significant bits of the game in it,
    and as a result the full game is surpassing my expectations.

Which is quite risky as the demo has turned a lot of people off from buying it.

I have to say its getting progressively better and better the more I play it.

Can't understand people who speed run the game in 7 hours, im only over half way there and ive been playing it for 3 days solid, enjoying every minute.

The only level that bored me so far was The Hive, but the Boss made up for it, the finisher was the most epic I've seen in a Duke Nukem game also!

Going back to my campaign in Prey is going to feel fierce boring and repetitive after playing this.

• Advertisement

Okay, I bet it was newer said before: I got shot in my face, while I was trying to make my ass print on copymachine.

Advertisement