Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

thebman wrote: »
    This game and Metroid Prime on the Gamecube also have a lot in common IMO although its not as well implemented here.

What? Did you play the same metroid prime as me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What? Did you play the same metroid prime as me?

Yes, the platforming in this is similar to Metroid Prime and the bosses are quite similar in the shoot while circling system with rockets.

And the mix of scenery is quite similar.

The only difference is that Metroid Prime sent you back and forth exploring across the level where as this is a straight forward scripted affair.

I think it has a lot of the good aspects of Metroid Prime in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well to me Metroid Prime is far from a normal FPS game. In fact the whole thing plays more like Ocarina of Time except from the first person, including the combat due to the z-locking. The bosses as well required more than just circle strafing to beat and the addition of the dodge button gave it alot more depth. It couldn't be further from an typical FPS. I'm sorrybut comparing this to Metroid Prime just seems wrong. From the sounds of it the platforming is terrible as well, considering the subtle approach Metroid Prime took to it by borrowing the jumping camera of jumping flash and how well it workds it seems different to the disaster of this game going by reviews.

Well to me Metroid Prime is far from a normal FPS game. In fact the whole thing plays more like Ocarina of Time except from the first person, including the combat due to the z-locking. The bosses as well required more than just circle strafing to beat and the addition of the dodge button gave it alot more depth. It couldn't be further from an typical FPS. I'm sorrybut comparing this to Metroid Prime just seems wrong.

I've never completed a Zelda game and in fact don't like them much at all TBH so I don't think Metroid Prime is as much like Zelda as you like to imagine.

Duke has more dimension to the fighting too. It does not have Z locking but it does have dodging and timing your trips to get more ammo and the bosses are on a similar timed mechanism to the classic 2D games that Metroid Primes bosses were based on. They have a set routine basically.

Duke isn't really a typical FPS as the COD fans will testify :P

It is more like HL2 with mixed up game play pieces though not quite as clever in execution as it requires little though to progress through the puzzles.

I'm not saying it is a clone of Metroid Prime but there are aspects of the game play here and I enjoyed them both to the same level really. Think it has aspects of Metroid Prime and HL2 but no it can't be directly compared to them feature for feature but it has similarities.

I think it is falling foul of the type of people who like just mindless shooters and spend most of their time online because it isn't just a shooter similar to HL2 and Metroid Prime. It has more depth even if the other aspects of its game play aren't as well executed as those other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dacelonid wrote: »
    but by far the worst thing is the regenerating health.
    Any idea how to get that to work, or when does it happen? Thus far, if I have low health, I die soon afterwards, unless I look in the mirror, or pound the crap out of some alien bastard...

=-=

As for load times, I only have 2GBs of RAM. Load times in BLOPS with 2GB of RAM were three times as bad.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Any idea how to get that to work, or when does it happen? Thus far, if I have low health, I die soon afterwards, unless I look in the mirror, or pound the crap out of some alien bastard...

=-=

As for load times, I only have 2GBs of RAM. Load times in BLOPS with 2GB of RAM were three times as bad.

You just sit in cover for a while. Usually there is a part of the map where the enemy won't be able to get an angle to attack you that you can sit in cover in.

I've never completed a Zelda game and in fact don't like them much at all TBH so I don't think Metroid Prime is as much like Zelda as you like to imagine.

I'm not imagining it. Ability based progression in a non-linear environment and z-targetting with a dodge/roll command. There's lots of similarities.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ThatGuyHughesy

I can't wait! :D
    Was too lazy to read through the whole 43 pages but has anyone seen this receipt? This guy pre-ordered a copy of Duke Nukem Forever on October 18th, 2001 in GameStop when it's development was first announced. That's a lot of patience! But GameStop have to honour this so he'll be a happy man soon!
    1503019-duke2001receipt_super.png

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You just sit in cover for a while. Usually there is a part of the map where the enemy won't be able to get an angle to attack you that you can sit in cover in.
    Ah. That'd be my downfall. If I have low health, I'm usually surrounded by aliens with guns.

Have noticed the AI isn't the best at times, suffering from Red Alert 2 problem of not being able to walk around the low wall before trying to shoot me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

OSI wrote: »
    That was 7 hours with dying a good few times, and trying most of the various distractions in the game that I came across. If I sped through the game it would have been 5 hours at the very maximum on a harder setting.

Don't get me wrong, the game is fun. But it is way too short and there is far from 3 days solid worth of fun it.

There is if you dabble in a bit of multiplayer, and try to savour the game.

I reckon i spent 2 or 3 hours tops in multiplayer over the course of the weekend. Just enough to reach level 15.
    By todays standards its an okay length for an FPS title.

• Advertisement

Warning: The video below contains spoilers

Shows gameplay from the levels later in the game, i recommend completing the game before hand.

Behold, the 1999 Triptych trailer of the game before the closure of 3D Realms.

As you can see it has the older, tougher looking Duke model before Gearbox tried to make him younger and more handsome looking.

Doesn't it look very much like the finished game we got to play?

It proves the game was very near completion, and if Take Two Interactive didn't fall back on the 5 million dollar agreement with Broussard, the came could actually have been released in Spring 2010.

Its just a shame things went the other way, but at least we still got to experience it!

This video is part of 6 video files that in the game, which i presume are unlocked after its completed.

Noticed that alright when I watched the vid.

Kinda wondered what they spent the extra time at other than legal battles after that :P

They could have polished up the console version in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Not sure if its been posted but the Eurogamer review is up http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-12-duke-nukem-forever-review
    Ouch 3/10, thank god im not the only one who thinks this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

3/10 my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Just finished the final boss, the whole game was way too easy.

Regenerating health means - Run in kill a few guys take damage sprint away come back repeat.

I f*cking hate regenerating health, there is always a nook, usually the corridor you entered the room from, where you can retreat back and forth to killing enemies.

I commented once on this 2 3rds the way through, having beaten the pathetically easy end boss, I am more dissapointed than before, at no stage did the 'hard' difficulty prove hard with infinite health and effectively infinite ammo.

3/10 on Eurogamer? Fair enough IMO, I'd have given a few points for the fun parts of the game but the fundamental gameplay changes ruined it as a shooter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny that the mention is of old builds of the game, because that's what the retail version feels like - an alpha build, or incomplete, leaked version. For all the money spent on advertising & hyping up the release, it feels like nothing was spent on polishing the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

pixelburp wrote: »
    Funny that the mention is of old builds of the game, because that's what the retail version feels like - an alpha build, or incomplete, leaked version. For all the money spent on advertising & hyping up the release, it feels like nothing was spent on polishing the game.

True, though the whole game I felt like I was playing something that was not only really out of date, but unfinished. Some of the levels look like they were knocked up in 5 minutes.

If it had been released in 2002 it might have held some interest. But really I played it just cause it is an oddity. It is a poor game that should have been cancelled a long time ago.

3D Realms were not spending the time polishing a brilliant game to perfection. They seem to have just have been stuck in development hell, constantly trying new tricks (oh! outdoor sections! oh! big levels!) and then feeling they have to do something else because some other game did it quicker and better. That must have gone on for years.

At least now we won't be wondering if DN-F was a brilliant game that just never got released. Nope, average game that became more and more average the longer it wasn't released.

This may be the biggest opinion dividing game of all time!

PC Gamer gave it an 80/100 and they didn't exactly go easy on it either.

Note that the Eurogamer review is of the 360 version.

Boy am I glad i upgraded my PC and avoided the graphical and loading time issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Tried out the PC version today, and the difference couldnt be more apparent. You can tel lthe PC version was the one that got the most amount of polishing. The difference in visuals is literally night and day, the 360 version seems to have literally NO anti aliasing, and seems more or less sub HD compared to this. Its ridiculous, as the game really isnt demanding, if games like GoW2 can run at solid 30fps theres no excuse for DNFs graphical shortcomings and poor loading times other than shoddy conversion.

a few screens i took from the pc version. sorry for stretching the page...you cant do spoiler boxes :(

dukeforever2011-06-121ojqk.jpg

dukeforever2011-06-121njub.jpg

dukeforever2011-06-121qm1i.jpg

dukeforever2011-06-121jmj8.jpg

dukeforever2011-06-121imys.jpg

dukeforever2011-06-1212jk0.jpg

dukeforever2011-06-121r87d.jpg

dukeforever2011-06-121lmxi.jpg

dukeforever2011-06-121vk64.jpg

Wow. The difference is shocking. Way to make my console version look even worse :D

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    Wow. The difference is shocking. Way to make my console version look even worse :D

heh trust me, ive got the console version too, so i feel your pain. i played and finished it on 360 before i played the PC version. Couldnt believe the difference. Im used to multiplatform releases looking better on PC, but its usually jsut higher res, more AA and a better framerate. For Duke, its practically a different game!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

what about PS3, how does the game fare on that (relative to the PC)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Xbox owners! Don't worry, there are bits on the PC version that look terrible as well, like the exterior bits in Las Vegas :)

Just finished it on PS3, there. Not a bad game. Can't get into a multiplayer game. Probably for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I can forgive the dodgy graphics as well as some of the brainless gameplay decisions, (Only 2 weapons at a time,) but the loading times are massively frustrating (Xbox.)

I've died a few times and put the game down to play something else rather the suffer through the huge load times.

potential spoilers, and NSFW, but heres a few random clips i cobbled together

if youve ever wanted to see duke stick his dick into a gloryhole, nows your chance

Duke Nukem 3D was crude but this just seems out and out tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

16 - 18 hours playtime? They must've been counting the horrific load times (They were normal but got progessively worse towards the end) I feel like I completed that game far too quickly even though I went wandering off anywhere I could.

What a shìt ending, too.

The 2nd half of the game turns into a generic shooter, feels like they spent all their time putting gags around the first half of the game as they're pretty much non-existent in the 2nd half.

Meh, everything is just filler until Skyrim comes out :pac:

Duke Nukem 3D was crude but this just seems out and out tasteless.

I was a bit shocked actually at how smutty it is, but then i stahped being such a pussy to quote Arnie and had a bit of a laugh at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

DNF, is fun at times but it's out at least 5 years too late, graphically and gameplay wise. I wasn't expecting a great game, but I was expecting something better than what they've shipped. Saying that, Eurogamers score of 3/10 is a joke. I'm near the end myself and I would personally give it a maximum of 7/10

Advertisement