Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i was bored all the way through to the monster truck part, the first few chapters were fun, but maybe i'm getting old or something because i actually liked duke3d a lot more than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Eurogamer are getting worse and there's definitely a UK bias with their reviews. Maybe it's unintentional - because they're based in the UK, they're going to have more interaction and a closer relationship with developers from there. However, when you see a game as fundamentally broken and unplayable as Brink, get a glowing review there when it's getting 4/10s elsewhere, you know something is up.

I'd like to have an opinion on Duke Nukem Forever, but Gamestop have really let me down with their delivery. Usually I'd have games from them the day before release, but still no sign of it.

Edit - Ugh, just checked my order status and it hasn't even been sent out yet, in spite of the fact that I paid for it a month ago. Really shoddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

For anyone who took the EG troll review seriously, a couple of things to consider:

It was written by Dan Whitehead, who gave Resistance 2 9/10
    He's also the guy responsible for quite possibly the most pretentious, wanky, i-am-a-cu*t review of all time, his 10/10 review of Braid. Featuring such amazingly cu*tish remarks such as
    "The classic Mario line "our princess is in another castle", knowingly reused here, is more than just an ironic wink to gaming history. In the context of Braid's melancholy mood, it becomes a bona fide commentary on the human condition. Our princess is always in another castle."

Now im not saying he doesnt have some valid points, but anyone expecting a cu*t of this magnitude to give a duke nukem game a fair review, is mistaken.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have to say I am loving this game so far (PC version), there are some tremendous faults but overall I think its a solid game thats worth the money. Enjoying it far more than most other recent FPS I have gotten. Realism/Schmealism, I don't care, its the King and it rocks :P All Hail
    the_syco wrote: »

Also the part where
    he comes across some actor b|tching at a employee of some type, the fact that I can knockout the actor with the punch (before he gets into the bunker at the start)
    is a nice touch :D
    Based on Christian Bale, I presume, LMAO, Just walking by when I became so enraged I had to see could I hit him, The King is Back

have to say I am loving all the little jokes, out and out brilliant.
    waveform wrote: »
    Was it the fault line level you kept getting lost on?

That was a bitch of a level to find your way round alright!

Me too, i think it was a fluke I got through it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For anyone who took the EG troll review seriously, a couple of things to consider:

It was written by Dan Whitehead, who gave Resistance 2 9/10
    He's also the guy responsible for quite possibly the most pretentious, wanky, i-am-a-cu*t review of all time, his 10/10 review of Braid. Featuring such amazingly cu*tish remarks such as

Now im not saying he doesnt have some valid points, but anyone expecting a cu*t of this magnitude to give a duke nukem game a fair review, is mistaken.

Yep awful reviewer. Was particularly annoyed when he was reviewing the virtual console games. 6/10 to Megaman 2 and 3. The man doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

A patch should be out either now, or tomorrow for the consoles, no idea what it will actually fix.

Duke Nukem Forever "Bodacious" DLC coming out this summer:

IMG_0967.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

waveform wrote: »
    A patch should be out either now, or tomorrow for the consoles, no idea what it will actually fix.

Duke Nukem Forever "Bodacious" DLC coming out this summer:

I imagine we about to see why Europe got it first :P

Probably patch to fix some things like load times on 360 for US release which is the core market for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Is the general consensus for this game to rent rather than buy? Loved Duke 3D, so many memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Is the general consensus for this game to rent rather than buy? Loved Duke 3D, so many memories!

Buy on Pc, rent consoles though DLC is coming and an update is due out and we will see what problems it fixes for consoles.

I would say avoid on console and buy on Pc since you can't really rent on Pc.

This does have the potential for quite good online play I would have thought but it seems they have no interest in pushing it. Has dedicated servers for Pc though so you will have a better online experience there.

Strange to plan DLC but not try to support online since it would be a good driver for DLC since it would maintain interest in the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

balls of steel edition came in the post a few minutes ago, installing now :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ok, this game is ****ing terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I do not mean to rub this in in any way to those that have bought it, but I'm so glad I cancelled the preorder I had with Amazon for the Balls of Steel edition. Gonna wait until this is really really cheap, and then I MIGHT buy it. From the sounds of it, I'm not sure I will bother now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I do not mean to rub this in in any way to those that have bought it,

Nothing to rub in, I'm glad I bought it, I am enjoying it (PC version). If I had to listen to everyone else I might not have. You'll get it on steam for next to nothing soon enough and then you can decide for yourself, pry have a bit of DLC by then to add more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

This review gives it 4/10 but that sounds generous when you read the text!!

Review Here
    DNF is a testament to its infamously protracted and traumatic development. Long loading times, low-res textures and polygon counts, poor facial animations and lip-syncing, screen tearing, juddering frame rates, basic lighting and reflections, pop-up, jaggies and disappearing assets – you name it, DNF suffers from it. Every gaming advancement of the past thirteen years is undone; every conceivable design flaw evident.
    A throwback to a bygone age, gunplay is as one-dimensional as Duke’s emotional range.
    Duke Nukem Forever is the sum of all its flaws – a truly terrible game with almost no redeeming features. It's as if Gearbox simply swept the scraps off 3D Realms' development floor and glued them together into this mess. Graphics, gameplay, narrative, innovation, there's simply nothing to recommend this mangled wreck. Put simply, as The Duke might say, "This game is one ugly mother****er!

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

So buggy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

balls of steel edition came in the post a few minutes ago, installing now :D
    ok, this game is ****ing terrible

Sorry man no offense intended but i honestly laughed at those two posts for about 5 minutes straight. The first post was so upbeat and eager and then the utter dissapointment!! :P

On a good note you have finally convinced me not to take the chance on this so thanks!! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

r3nu4l wrote: »
    This review gives it 4/10 but that sounds generous when you read the text!!

Review Here

:eek:
    Sounds as an Xbox player (he's a fool as he should play FPS on PC) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Solm

Nostalgia sells, for such a bad scoring game it seems to have sold very well it's number 1 in the console charts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Grayditch wrote: »
    3/10 my arse.

HAHA Eurogamer, the website that gave Brink 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nody wrote: »
    Sounds as an Xbox player (he's a fool as he should play FPS on PC) ;)

i do regret getting xbox edition :(

i will swap it for pc version tommorow. i think my xbox time is over again. i came back to my lovely pc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Wow, it is really that unfinished? Not impressed..... think i'll just wait a few months and pick it up for cheap. What are the good points about this game? and is the 360 version really that bad??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Wow, it is really that unfinished? Not impressed..... think i'll just wait a few months and pick it up for cheap. What are the good points about this game? and is the 360 version really that bad??
    It's just ... sloppy. Graphics are ropey, level design's poor in places. Some of the humour just misses the mark entirely. And then there are the loading times ....

Playing the game feels like something between a leaked Alpha build & an enthusiastic (but untalented) mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I think my favourite quote is from Destructoid

"A festering irrelevance with nothing to offer the world."

Nothing makes me happier than seeing a 2K Games product get awful reviews. Their tears, so yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Planing on getting this 2moro, i loved the original version of this way back when, has anyone picked this up yet whats it like

Big thread about it on the games forum. General consensus says it's rubbish! Sounds like a rent.

Damn was looking forward to this, may pick up dirt 3 havnt had a racer in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Deffo a renter, the loading times are crazy. Makes it a pain when you die and have to restart. Go and make a cup of tea while you are waiting.

Just go download Duke3D off XBLA instead!

Glad i asked whats it like got stung in the bollix the last 2 gamses i bought brink and hunted demon forge, last time ill ever buy games on a developers reputation

New bio-shock tralier looks amazing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Was disappointed with Duke Nukem myself :(

Advertisement