Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭GamesDontSuck

Just complete this tonight.
    Might as well spoiler this bit out:
    IMO....
    Its a good game. But thats if you are a duke fan to begin with tho. Cause if you loved duke 3d you'll like this. But if a person doesnt like duke 3d / never played it ... it'll probably be a flawed FPS game.

One thing that I noticed was the choice to remove the night time las vegas levels. Which ... was a bad idea. The level where you are outside duke burger really made you notice the the crappy vegas skyline/buildings. Night time with the neon lights, as shown in earlier versions looked well better, and would of hid poor models.

Sounds like I am being harsh on the game... but we have to remember this game WAS NOT developed for 12+ years straight. It however does look like a 2004-2006 video game. But look at the brightside its a fun game for any duke fans and it means a proper sequel will now be developed. Thus continuing on duke nukem. its definitely worth playing.

The only thing I wish was in the final game was alot of the stuff from the 2001 trailer. Hoover cars, aforementioned cool vegas night time strip, riding on a bike, riding on a donkey :pac: and i do miss all the so ripped off stuff too.. like the blatant terminator from the e3 2001 trailer. But hey, legal things change. So thats cool.

My two cents :pac:

UpJE4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Just finished this tonight and what can i say? Its average, nothing special just a brain dead romp with little or no challenge. Bad dialogue, average graphics, mediocre sound. But this was exactly what i expected, some people seem to think just because it took so long to hit the shelves that it would actually be good. Look at the previous duke nukem games. All were just ok. It defo a rental. I rented it today and finished it a few hours later.

One thing that annoyed my about this game is the amount of crappy easter eggs that are related to other games. Gears of war, dead space, mario and donkey kong, halo, half life, all of which blow this game out of the water. Kinda wrecked my head. This game tried too hard to please but came off as just poor. And what annoys me more is the advert. Pixelated boobs on air during the day, with hopes young teens will persuade mammy to buy it for them. Most likely the only way to get this to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Tried it yesterday. Absolutely shocking game.
    So glad I didn't buy this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Its a bit like the chinese democracy of the gaming world, it was always going to be a big let down. Im not going to play it at all, Duke 3D remains a milestone in my childhood and I wont taint it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

ICnC9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Comprehensive review of Duke Nukem, seems is a lot of the game is your put in a room or area and you keep killing and they keep spawning until you've reached a level then until the next part and repeat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

...but still better than Duke Nukem Forever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

pixelburp wrote: »
    Some of the humour just misses the mark entirely.

The bit
    under the Duke Bowl where Duke finds his two babies
    was like the scene in Aliens where the marines come across the colonists cocooned in the generator room except re-imagined with Bill Paxton cracking jokes about abortion.

And don't get me started about the
    wack-a-alien
    game in Duke's strip club.

Who ever came up with that nonsense has some serious alien rape fantasy fetish going on. It wasn't so much offensive or shocking as just sad and pathetic. Not what you expect from a top tier game made with millions of dollars behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wicknight wrote: »
    Who ever came up with that nonsense has some serious alien rape fantasy fetish going on.

So you agree then, it's funny right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

This sums up the reaction of most boardsies:

memes-reframe-bunny-i-am-disappoint.jpg
    I AM DISAPPOINT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Does this game have a review embargo ? was looking for the video review on gametrailers, and they still havent reviewed it, which is suprising considering the anticipation and leadup videos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Edge laid into it too: http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/duke-nukem-forever-review

By the sounds of it, Duke Nukem Forever will be remembered for the history, the memes and the hype moreso than the actual game!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Its a bit like the chinese democracy of the gaming world, it was always going to be a big let down. Im not going to play it at all, Duke 3D remains a milestone in my childhood and I wont taint it! :D

It was never going to live up to a 14 year dev cycle, sure, nothing could, well maybe Half Life 3. But when there are games released 5-6 years ago that are better than this you have to worry with what went wrong and took so long. The Doom series managed ok'ish but DN suffered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It is pants on X-Box. Play it on PC and it is a different game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

So did gamespot, 3.5/10.....

and that was the for the PC version!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/duke-nukem-forever/index.html

I used to think that games which got a score of 3, were unplayable,

yet every single reviewer who gave DNF a score that low, have clearly finished the game...

Ill never trust a review from IGNorant, gamespot, or eurogamer again....

Anything under 5 for this game is taking the piss.

Best to try a game and make up your own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

IGN have their video review up; haven't watched it since i'm waiting for GameTrailers' much better, longer one. But they're always a day or three later....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm about half way through now, and to be honest I'm finding it brainless in a vaguely positive way - by all means a forgettable and mediocre game, but a dumb entertaining b-movie esque game all the same. Some of the achievements are hilarious. Playing it on the 360 and it's very unpolished indeed, low resolution and detail, fairly unforgivable seeing as it's running on the same engine as games like Bioshock.

I'd say 5 or 6/10 would be about accurate. But without doubt a rental game, not worth a purchase until it drops sharply in price (which it will in no time, zero replay value in it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just saw the ad for this on telly and its 30 seconds of strippers with blurred boobs hahaha couldn't believe that ad was passed for tv, brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

It's crap. Get child of Eden instead and support games rather than marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I think the general concensus is this game is pants

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I must be insane because I'm still looking forward to getting a copy of this and playing it :) Wish they would release the damn public demo though (which supposedly is a poor representation of the full game?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Damn was looking forward to this, may pick up dirt 3 havnt had a racer in a while

dirt 3 is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

fairly unforgivable seeing as it's running on the same engine as games like Bioshock.

It's not. Bioshock is the Unreal 3 engine (though modified somewhat) and DNF is using the Unreal 2 engine, modified too, so god knows how comparable they are anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

Edge laid into it too: http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/duke-nukem-forever-review

By the sounds of it, Duke Nukem Forever will be remembered for the history, the memes and the hype moreso than the actual game!

daikatana 2?

The thing is that even 6 years ago this game would have been acceptable imo. Considering the delays I suppose you can give the development team credit for producing a game based on such old coding.

However, comparing this game to modern releases today means that it's never going to stand a chance.

I loved Duke Nukem 3D on the PC and really hoped that something good would come from this but it seems like it hasn't moved on. A real pity for what could have been a great game. You can't really blame the actual people on the ground working on coding the game this debacle is all down to the Senior management teams imo.

The PR company handling DNF on Twitter have been sacked after threatening to blacklist reviewers :)

Threat

Apology

Goes to show that these things have real life consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Whoever runs the twitter account for them is probably looking for another job right now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

waveform wrote: »
    So did gamespot, 3.5/10.....

and that was the for the PC version!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/duke-nukem-forever/index.html

I used to think that games which got a score of 3, were unplayable,

yet every single reviewer who gave DNF a score that low, have clearly finished the game...

Ill never trust a review from IGNorant, gamespot, or eurogamer again....

Anything under 5 for this game is taking the piss.

Best to try a game and make up your own mind.

Gamespot were slamming the sex references before they even played it. Have you read the multi-player preview.

The guy basically wrote this game isn't my kind of thing and nobody should play this game because you of the capture the babe mode.

Obviously they didn't pay enough for the review. Stopped using Gamespot years ago having been a loyal reader for years because their reviews clearly became bought or heavy influenced by advertising on site. DNF probably figured it didn't need to do that because of all the hype and so it gets slammed.

Sure there are plenty of reasons to crap on the game but it is at least a 5/10 game IMO. Anything less than that is they didn't buy enough advertising on our site scoring or attention whoring.

I just read the gamespot review and honestly half the stuff they give out about is stuff they praise in other reviews. And the endless driving is not really repeating. The jumps get harder as it goes on for a lot of it and there are aliens on the side shooting at you. Its biggest problem is it is too easy. The getting out to get gas thing is done 3 times (Halo 3 warthog crap anybody or HL2 boat) and each time is in a different set or last time with a big fire fight so its not really boring unless your specifically trying to write a review to slam someone that hasn't paid for a review score.

Advertisement