Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Whoever runs the twitter account for them is probably looking for another job right now!

it was the guy who owns the company

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I have given up until they patch load times on the 360... they will patch it, right? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finally got it delivered from Gamestop yesterday. In fairness to them, there was a mix-up with the order and to make up for it they had it courriered out to me and threw in a free copy of Blur as way of an apology - pretty decent move from them and something they didn't have to do.

Anyway, I'm only 30 minutes in and so far it's made me laugh more than any game I've played since Psychonauts. I think I'm really going to enjoy this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Gametrailer review out now - they weren't impressed 5.4 :o
    Deffo won't be buyin it, looks like crap

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-duke-nukem/716476

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

just picked this up yesterday and although ive only played a couple of hours of it i actually like it. sure, its not what we had hoped for after 14 years but we were never going to get great game after all the turmoil of the devolpment over the years. yet i find it a breath of fresh air. i like the cod's of this world but its nice to be able to pick up a game like dn, turn off the brain and laugh. its got its flaws but im glad the king is back. plus, in what other game can you pick turds out of the toilet and throw them!

• Advertisement

have to say i didnt laugh once. theres very little with anything resembling humour in it

im not averse to purile humour by any stretch, i just prefer it to be done well - like south park

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I only played a wee bit more, but DNF got me wondering - was Duke this much of a foul-mouthed douchebag in the original game? I remember the ass-kickery, strippers & general cheekiness; but I don't remember it being so friggin' idiotically vulgar. Quips about abortion? Classy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

not in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

There was the multiplayer voices that you could use, "You're an inspiration for birth control", but that's about it in that line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Didn't think so; I know nostalgia's a different country, but some of the crap being spouted by this 2011 Duke is so beyond the pale of funny it's embarrassing.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Didn't think so; I know nostalgia's a different country, but some of the crap being spouted by this 2011 Duke is so beyond the pale of funny it's embarrassing.

its not even embarrassing, its pure pathetic some of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

You can get away with more these days in regards to foul language.

So of course the Duke is going to be more verbally offensive than ever.

Its Duke Nukem bitches!

waveform wrote: »

Its Duke Nukem bitches!

but it's not remotely well utilised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Its Duke Nukem bitches!
    there's offensive then there the ****e he spouts trying to be offensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Helix wrote: »
    but it's not remotely well utilised

I don't have a problem with it really. I didn't find most of it funny but the first Duke Nukem was the same for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

The only part i thought was a bit too much was the alein abortion game in the strip club.

Everything else was pure duke. He wasnt as crude in DN3D, but he still literally pulls an aliens head off and takes a **** down its neck in a cut scene in DN3D. DNF was obviously gonna try and get away with even more.

thebman wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with it really. I didn't find most of it funny but the first Duke Nukem was the same for me.
    oh ive no problem with it, it just would have made the game a little more palletable had it not sounded like it was written by an 11 year old

oh ive no problem with it, it just would have made the game a little more palletable had it not sounded like it was written by an 11 year old

I think thats redneck America's idea of free speech :P

Lets face it, DNF could only ever be the product of America. Its reminds me of General Motors actually in that it hemorrhaged money for years, was less polished than it should have been but puts its chest out front and acts like its the bees knees with a crude, rude attitude problem.

The levels are well put together IMO and the game mostly hangs together okay considering the mess of a development cycle. I still thought it was good game though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I struggled to finish this to be honest, finally finished it this morning, going trading it in today. I wanted this to be much better, and i did enjoy the quips at all the other games ("I was expecting a monkey", "a crowbar would be useful right now", "powersuits are for pussies"), but like everyone else says, it's about 6 years too late to compete with todays shooters, even if i managed to finish this and not Crysis 2!

I find modern shootesr boring TBH. They need more comedy.

The only online game I can play is TF2 and Minecraft (because I can do what I like :P)

Most online shooters these days are trying too hard to seem professional and "realistic" so they took out all the crazy things that make games unique and ended up with cinematic, grey/brown, boring messes of games.

The last console game I completed was GOW2 which went back to standard game style to mix up its game play a bit but even then I had to take a break for a while have way through to get a break from the general dull mood of the game.

At the moment, I just bought a bunch of indie games to play on my parents laptop when I'm at home and TBH, I'm having more fun with them than I've gotten out of most full priced games recently.

• Advertisement

The way I see it is that most of you played duke3d in your teens or older like i have.

15 years has passed since then, most of us are in our 20s or 30s, or even our 40s,

we have all aged, some of us have settled down, married, some of us have had kids.

Its no surprise people are going to find DNF too immature, or offensive after such a long length of time.

Heh; it's like bumping into that guy who was the class clown in your school. He's still a bit of a cheeky tool, but the rest of the world has moved, except him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The way I see it is that most of you played duke3d in your teens or older like i have.

15 years has passed since then, most of us are in our 20s or 30s, or even our 40s,

we have all aged, some of us have settled down, married, some of us have had kids.

Its no surprise people are going to find DNF too immature, or offensive after such a long length of time.

Duke 3D isn't all that offensive though. It's a bit cheeky and every so often it over steps the common decency line but very rarely which is why it works. DNF on the other hand is just all out offensive and it just gets boring. It ends up not funny when the shock and taboo factor are taken out. It's just terrible comedy writing.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Duke 3D isn't all that offensive though. It's a bit cheeky and every so often it over steps the common decency line but very rarely which is why it works. DNF on the other hand is just all out offensive and it just gets boring. It ends up not funny when the shock and taboo factor are taken out. It's just terrible comedy writing.

Duke3D wasn't exactly great in the comedy writing department either now to be fair!
    **** common decency in a game thats about shooting aliens and strong sexual content! Seriously!

Jesus, i mean its a shooting game we're talking about here,
    i think people these days expect too much in the writing and storyline department,
    as if they expect it to be on par with the writing standards of motion pictures.

And this expectation is exactly the reason why we have so many cutscenes in fps games today, which imo, are for more tiring!

I think people were expecting the Nukem character to be something he isn't.

Maybe i just understand the intent more than others, and I'm not as shocked or offended, as I have spent far too much of my life obsessing on the games and their development background.

as if they expect it to be on par with the writing standards of motion pictures.

i think people just want something beyond "macho comment" "sexist comment" "jaded taboo comment" from something that's trying to be funny

you know that mate we all have who embarrasses himself time and time again trying to be funny, and you just want the ground to swallow him up? that's duke nukem forever

if you cant do a decent job of it, why bother putting it in at all?

my mental image of the design process is a load of lads running around the office throwing paper at each other and shouting "BOOBIES AAAAAHAHAHAHAH"

Maybe i just understand the intent more than others, and I'm not as shocked or offended
    i dont think anyone is shocked or offended by anything in the way you think

nobodys sitting around gasping in horror at how vulgar the game is, we're all just shaking our heads in a "oh jesus christ who wrote this turd" way

nobodys sitting around gasping in horror at how vulgar the game is, we're all just shaking our heads in a "oh jesus christ who wrote this turd" way

I can see where ye're coming from now, my bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I found the game both enjoyable and pretty amusing too, laughed out loud a few times at some of the ridiculous one liners. Yes, it's sexist, juvenile, offensive and crude, but I think it fares pretty well. Everyones entitled to their own opinion but not all of us think the games as bad or as humorless as is suggested here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

People acting as if the original Duke Nukem was not juvenile and childish ?
    Dear lord.

Some quotes:

Bitch'in'!
    Blow it out your ass!
    Eat **** and die.
    Die, you son of a bitch!
    I'm gonna kick your ass, bitch!

It's always been a game with rude and childish humor, I honestly don't think DNF is anything worse than that (Just talking about the humor though, the game itself is far worse).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Xambo

Remember when playing Duke Nukem in older days. LOL funny flashback!

Advertisement