Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

why is it that pc games are so much cheaper anyway, I paid about 30 euro for the balls of steel edition and all the goodies I got with it mean that even though the game ended up one of the worst I've played in years.. I'm still kinda happy with the purchase.
    Still grin whenever my gaze catches the bust of duke nukem I have sitting on my desk :D

They don't have to license the game for the platform or in many cases using Steam (though prices are usually higher on Steam), deliver it to you.

PC gamers also expect lower prices as they have always had them so any game not at the usual price is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

help!!
    im on chapter 19 where you have to fight that octo things and its minions, im doing it on medium and must have died 100 times now, its driving me mad. any tips

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

help!!
    im on chapter 19 where you have to fight that octo things and its minions, im doing it on medium and must have died 100 times now, its driving me mad. any tips

That one wrecked my nut too. Eventually decided to "cheat and look up FAQS online" -
    Stand behind the control panel with the cover on the right hand side of the crane in order to avoid most of the projectiles being thrown by the Octobrains. Fork a pipe bomb at one and explode it when it pulls it in to throw it back to you. A direct hit should kill it, if not the second one will. Kill the 4 Octobrains the Octoking has, then spam the Octoking with the Devestator until more Octobrains show up. Rinse and repeat, running out periodically to get more pipe bombs and ammo. After about 1/5th of the Octokings health, no more Octobrains will come back and he'll start mind-throwing stuff at you, strafe and spam to kill him. Don't stay behind the cover when he starts throwing stuff at you, i got killed instantly by a flying lump of steel!!!

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh and yes, with the loading times problem I would argue that for a great many people the game is unplayable.

That's absolute nonsense in fairness. How do loading times make the game 'unplayable'? Ok, so it takes a while to load each level, but I fail to grasp how that makes the game itself unplayable, it's not as if there's chronic loading within each level, and it's not as if the time is length enough to exasperate you to the extent of not wanting to play, unless you have an attention disorder. I've played games with long load times before and not once was the word 'unplayable' ever uttered before, some games are worse than others and I agree that it's hard to see why load times are so long, but to argue that it renders the game unplayable is a bit of a farcical step. I found the loading in DNF to have absolutely no bearing on how I perceived the game in general, really. Having to wait 30 seconds longer than what might be the norm in the genre is truly not a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It is when you die a lot and end up looking at the loading screen as much as you are playing it. It's the same dealio with the stupid death scene in Too Human. It's a total pain in the hole and doesn't help the game be more playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I can't think of the last time I've played a FPS and died a lot (on normal difficulty). I'm kind of enjoying that aspect. That said I'm on PC the loading times probably would piss me off on console. It's not that you die randomly, so far when I die I know what I should have done differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I died so many ****ing times fighting that Octaking. The only part in the game that gave me any trouble. Even the Cyloid Emperor is embarrassingly easy in comparison.

If your dying a lot, your doing it wrong...

I found most of it quite easy actually. Like others are saying, that Octo part is the hardest part and I died about twice there.

I think the loading is crap on consoles but consider it a penalty for doing it wrong :P At least it doesn't reload you miles back and make you walk for miles to get to the hard part again.

I didn't have to go through it of course, playing on Pc but it can't be that annoying. I remember tapes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

can't have this fall off the frontpage. Is 'Queen Bitch' the most tedious boss level ever?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

mloc123 wrote: »
    can't have this fall off the frontpage. Is 'Queen Bitch' the most tedious boss level ever?

Which one is Queen bitch again?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Which one is Queen bitch again?
    I'm guessing the one when your in the alien whatever it is.

And you have to throw pipe bombs off the trampoline type material on the wall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

thebman wrote: »
    I'm guessing the one when your in the alien whatever it is.

And you have to throw pipe bombs off the trampoline type material on the wall.
    In the Duke Dome? Thats very early on, I found it irritating on the PC because the USE button didn't appear the first few times I knocked her down, couldn't figure out WTF but then just got lucky as I was searching around

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

http://www.gearboxity.com/content/view/670/33/

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150226853041602&set=a.10150226853036602.337486.186028571601&type=1&theater

Makes you think of any hardcore fans who may have died while the game was in development and never got to play it.

A sad thought really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Ok so i finished it on hard and thought that was it, i could sit back and collect the extra trophies on easy.

There's an insane difficulty you say?.....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ok so i finished it on hard and thought that was it, i could sit back and collect the extra trophies on easy.

There's an insane difficulty you say?.....:mad:
    Stop complaining! currently playing bullet witch, 5 difficulties, non stackable and the hardest difficulty gives you 1gs for completing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I tried the demo of this yesterday...not much fun! I was hoping it'd have some sort of retro charm, but it feels stiff and the gameplay is dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Stop complaining! currently playing bullet witch, 5 difficulties, non stackable and the hardest difficulty gives you 1gs for completing!!

Is Bullet Witch not sh1t? I haven't played it, but spotted in on the shelf in a few shops and for some reason convinced myself it wasn't any good. Is it worth playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

deathrider wrote: »
    Is Bullet Witch not sh1t? I haven't played it, but spotted in on the shelf in a few shops and for some reason convinced myself it wasn't any good. Is it worth playing?
    yes it is ****, not it's not worth playing ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Finished the single player today, was fúcking horrific, cant trade it in quick enough....

• Advertisement

Just got my 'balls of steel' trophy. somehow the platinum doesn't worth getting now. The hell with insane difficulty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

yes it is ****, not it's not worth playing ha ha

Good stuff, that'll be avoided then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I couldn't even finish the demo it was that bad.

As Yahtzee said "If I didn't know the history of this game, I would have said it seemed a bit rushed!".

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Horrible game... I bought it the day it came out and wanted to trade it the next day when it was worth €32 credit in Gamestop. I forgot all about it and checked yesterday and now its only worth €24 credit... :mad:

I think the game is cursed :P

Anyone know what this is worth for trade in xtravision?

I'm almost finished it now. Don't get why people don't like it. I think it's grand. Level design is nicer/more varied than Call of Duty. Balance between the exploration/puzzles, fighting and bosses is spot on. The vehicle sections are pretty decent as well. Better executed than Half Life 2 anyway. The weapons are satisfying. The humour thins out a lot in the 2nd half, but it's seems a little less forced that way anyway. I've been challenged all the way through but I haven't gotten really stuck at any point for too long.

7/10

Im so glad i only rented this game. It cost me 5 quid and thats it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

OSI wrote: »
    I can only assume you're taking the complete piss
    Suggesting that the level design is nice gave it away before the HL2 comment. The level-design fricking woeful

The vehicle sections were boring as **** in HL2. Remeber the awful floaty indistinct hovercraft? The Duke jeep is much more fun to use. The boosting over ramps and stuff on this at least stopped it being too dull.

I really enjoyed some of the level design. The shrunken Duke levels in particular.

Returned this game yesterday after renting it, got all but the insane difficulty trophy. Fcek that i had a hard enough time on the hard difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

OSI wrote: »
    I can only assume you're taking the complete piss

Half Life 2 is a huge disappointment of a game. I can see how he thinks that.

Advertisement