Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Some hidden camera footage of the expo recorded in HD,
    source: http://www.duke4.net/news.php

Half of that video is of duke taking a piss, but the second half is worth watching.
    The graphics in the bathroom look excellent, yet retaining the original style of the bathrooms in the duke3d!

Some in-game action:

How he got away with that i do not know!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    I would dispute that they made no difference to you. It's more likely that your memory is faulty rather than an actual similarity in both games of how you played. Since, using the regenerating health mechanic, Bungie consciously discouraged and Infinity Ward encouraged 'boring' tactics, it is much more likely that there would be a difference in how you, consciously or unconsciously, played both games, however small or large.

Made no difference to me. When my health was low I'd hide behind cover, doing anything else was stupid unless you had the AI on the ropes are were just finishing them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭housemap

I can remember laughing about this vaporware with workmates in 99

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How I have not heard of Shadow Warrior, looks great.
    Looks sorta like ROTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

And TBBD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 vinny_963

looks pretty awesome especialy like that small gun with the scope

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

waveform wrote: »
    How he got away with that i do not know!
    Some cameras can record video, as well as take pictures. Looks like he had it on "record", with the camera strap around his neck, so he could just walk around.

=-=

Duke 3D came out January 1996. Rise of the Triad: Dark War (otherwise known as ROTT) came out February 1995. Only played the shareware version, and it was frigging AWESOME.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

^ I loved the god mode in that and the drunk missiles. Very cool game. Even better on multiplayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Playin as the dog was savage. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMjJL6SWs_U

A duke nukem 3d remake on the unreal 3 engine is in the works. I'd say it will be quite a while before we see it, but it's been given gearbox's approval.
    Oh yeah, it will be free!

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=112564

Also, it seems that anyone who got Borderlands GOTY (and GOTY only) will get a demo of DNF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,324 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://kotaku.com/#!5755039/duke-nukem-forever-is-a-tawdry-sometimes-gratifying-spectacle

So apparently Duke Nukem Forever is almost out. /shrug.

May it go down as a cult classic / colossal failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Whatever happens now at this stage it'll probably sell by the bucket load simply so people can see what all the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

colossal classic !!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is it legit? Somehow i still want to give a chance to this. So many wmepic memories... Secret levers to open some dirty stuff... Secret passages... Exploring....

" i am here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and i am all out of bubble gum..."

Its not his original saying, but damn it sounds good when he says it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I fully expect this game to be shite.

Is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

The world has moved on methinks, although the controversy it's guaranteed to generate will make it sell by the bucketload.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You say evolved? How many of you want simple oldschool asskicker...

No freaking idiotic plots just makes no sence and try to look seriuos... No complicated systems...

Just fun?

It might turn up to be pure ****e, but i would really love some good old duke...

I loved seriuos sam games when they came out, they had no sence but damn they were fun...

I am minecraft junky at the moment... So i guess i love simple things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Overheal wrote: »
    May it go down as a cult classic / colossal failure

Both I hope, like Street Fighter the movie !!
    street-fighter-the-movie-poster-thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Overheal wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/#!5755039/duke-nukem-forever-is-a-tawdry-sometimes-gratifying-spectacle

So apparently Duke Nukem Forever is almost out. /shrug.

May it go down as a cult classic / colossal failure.
    How the **** did you miss this Overheal? :D

As for whether it'll be good or not, I have faith in Gearbox that they'll deliver a classic Duke experience. Whether people appreciate said experience is an entirely different matter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,324 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gizmo wrote: »
    How the **** did you miss this Overheal? :D
    I've been WoWing it up far too much lately. Like a spice-induced trance. Must stop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I lost all anticipation for the game . . . Ill probably still give it a go though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Pretty and all as it looks, a lot of time has passed and I really doubt this will bring anything to the table that would generate anything more than a Meh from todays generation I may be proved wrong, but it'll be a rental or bargain bin pick up for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

calex71 wrote: »
    Pretty and all as it looks, a lot of time has passed and I really doubt this will bring anything to the table that would generate anything more than a Meh from todays generation I may be proved wrong, but it'll be a rental or bargain bin pick up for me.
    Funny because many of the games produced today with a rabid fanboy following make me go meh. CoD, Halo, et al are pretty underwhelming affairs that offer very little that is new or exciting. I remember playing Duke and being very excited by the sheer scale and irreverent attitude it had (as opposed to its contemporary and technical superior Quake).
    While many of todays games may be lightyears ahead of Duke in term of technical abilities they have not managed to retain even 1% of the charm this game had back in the day. I want to play this game because it will hopefully still have the same spark, that sense of fun and off colour humour that made Duke a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Sisko wrote: »
    I fully expect this game to be shite.

Is it just me?

It's not just you, don't worry. Duke was the first videogame charcter that swore a lot, so he was "cool". Now swearing and sex are 10 a penny in games. There'll be nothing groundbreaking about this I can assure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

There'll be nothing groundbreaking about this I can assure you.

And who would be expecting anything of the sort ?

A fun fps is what most will expect and nothing more. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Weird one this. Im a sucker for abit of gaming nostalgia and normally if a remake or sequel of some old favourite comes out, Id me all over it. But Im just not in the slightest bit interested in this. I suppose its just of case of it being way past its sell by date now. Its a relic of 90's and its big selling points (titillation and swearing) don't really pack the same kind of punch they did back in more innocent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Bubs102

Agricola wrote: »
    Its a relic of 90's and its big selling points (titillation and swearing) don't really pack the same kind of punch they did back in more innocent times.
    But it wasn't the titalation and swearing. Duke was cool as ****.

When I was 8 I wanted to be one of 3 men Gabriel Batistuta,The Rock or Duke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

No freaking idiotic plots just makes no sence and try to look seriuos... No complicated systems...

Just fun?

As soon as I read that I was thinking about Serious Sam. Great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Is it just me that thought the trailer looked fvcking AWWEEESOME !!

I'll be buying this on day one... hopefully it'll be as fun as the orginal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Just fun?

It might turn up to be pure ****e, but i would really love some good old duke...

I loved seriuos sam games when they came out, they had no sence but damn they were fun...

I am minecraft junky at the moment... So i guess i love simple things :)

*sense.
    *serious.

:p

But you're right. FPS games right now are a bit up their own. I remember watching a Jimquisition with some great points <googles> Ah yeah, here it is.

Advertisement