Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Pretty sure it was £23.99 earlier in the month. which works out at around €30. I think.

Yeah you're spot on, not a huge difference but caught my eye instantly.

I'm still going to remain stubborn and wait til the demo comes out before i pre-order though!

The new Grabbag, straight from the re-vamped site! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

^^^

Not bad, I guess after so many years I'm so adjusted to Megadeth's version:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

hmmm, never heard the earlier theme music but imo its far superior to the newly updated one. It has more energy, theres more going on and it has grunts. The new version just sounds lethargic I suppose because it sounds detuned. Another case in point of why the 90s was so great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

older one has more balls by a mill

new one sounds like nickleback were told to play it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Helix wrote: »
    older one has more balls by a mill

new one sounds like nickleback were told to play it
    The new theme simply sounds to main stream; it lacks the true balls to the wall with a nailgun sound which is Duke...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

new one reminds me of 'all nightmare long' from death magnetic

Nody wrote: »
    The new theme simply sounds to main stream; it lacks the true balls to the wall with a nailgun sound which is Duke...

yeah thats it exactly. too well produced, too clean, too crisp. no edge and no balls

sadly though i think that's going to be something of a prophecy about the game

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Jaysus, there's no pleasing some people.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Jaysus, there's no pleasing some people.

Ha, totally agree! Because it's not oldschool apparently means it worthless :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    They could make a Duke Nukem Forever game with Duke prancing around in a pink clown outfit busy sexually harassing a goat and playing a fiddle and I'd still buy it; still don't mean I can't have a preference in their music choice :).

M!Ck^ wrote: »

no, its because its a crappier version of a track that didnt need redoing in the first place that makes it worthless

Nody wrote: »
    They could make a Duke Nukem Forever game with Duke prancing around in a pink clown outfit busy sexually harassing a goat and playing a fiddle and I'd still buy it; still don't mean I can't have a preference in their music choice :).

Fair point! My Bad :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's just a theme song. You'll hear about 4 seconds of it before you 'Press Start'.

Has anyone pre ordered from Gamestop.ie before?

And do you know if the game is posted from a warehouse in Ireland?

Most likely Dublin.

Shame you can't pre-order instore.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,846 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

sheehy83 wrote: »

The vibrator? :confused:

Nothing new to see here! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I wasn't too interested in this game until recently...but the hype and curiosity are kinda grabbing me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Mr. K wrote: »
    I wasn't too interested in this game until recently...but the hype and curiosity are kinda grabbing me now!

"You wanna touch it dont you?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

NjFrU.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

It sure is a pity that that cool story never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Mindkiller wrote: »
    It sure is a pity that that cool story never happened

Always bet on Duke! ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I made a post about this on my Facebook, but the only people who would be likely to respond are my friends, so I ask of your opinions, anonymous internet users.

My opinions are more or less copied and pasted from my Facebook, but here it goes. I was talking to my girlfriend about how not all video games are geared towards socially maladjusted man-children who can't pay attention without something blowing up, something being inviscerated, or a bit of side-boob flashing about, and that the likes of Gears of War is becoming the butt of all jokes due to the homoerotic display of adolescent hypermachosim.

Splatterhouse didn't help my point, but this is performing an epic heist on the piss. It also doesn't help that it's basically pissing on its own prospective consumers by unrepentently advertising the fact that we've been waiting 11 fúcking years for this game to come out. This game appealled to me 11 years ago when it was first announced; 11 years ago, I was 11.

Having watched the trailor, it's apparent to me that this game is essentially a copy&paste of Halo, but with a marketing strategy revolving heavily around trying to be as offensive as possible. I'm ambivalent about this. For one, I want video games to push boundaries so that we can finally have the same level of creative freedom that exists in movies, and so that the díckhead conservatives can stop using it to rally terrified housewives in America, Britain, and Australia. On the other hand, I don't want to support a bland and mediocre shooter with a retro feel that garners its popularity from a mixture of shameless nostalgia and tailored contraversy.

I think I'll sit this one out, but I hope that Skyrim, or another adult game, shows a bit of tasteful boob or willy so that I can at least have a game I can genuinely support during the inevitable moral panic.

What are your thoughts?

Oh, and here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-b78TKZIyw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I was talking to my girlfriend about how not all video games are geared towards socially maladjusted man-children who can't pay attention without something blowing up, something being inviscerated, or a bit of side-boob flashing about,

Well, that's perfectly true. There are so many classic gems that offer a deep, thought-provoking experience without descending to immature crassness that I couldn't even begin naming them all. Point those out to your girlfriend if you want to further that particular argument.

And that's fine, we all love a complex thriller or a bit of cutesy puzzle-solving.

But sometimes after a hard day's work, you come home frazzled, and at those times, what you really want is to rip some motherf*cker's head off and sh*t down its neck while the background fills with tits that fire explosions.

That's what Duke Nukem does. It never, ever made any pretense at being clever, or deep or complex. Well, the fact that it's parodying itself so damned hard might count for clever. I won't be pondering it too much, I'll be too busy kicking aliens in the balls, frankly. It probably won't set the world alight, granted. But it'll be a refreshing change from the likes of Halo, which claims to be all of the things above, and most certainly is not.

If you can't appreciate the stuff you appreciated just 11 years ago, then you have my sympathies on the death of your inner child, truly. I recently turned 29 and I can still enjoy a good fart joke. Maturity is great, don't get me wrong. But it doesn't mean immaturity when done with style is rubbish.

And if there's one thing Duke can claim to be without doubt, it's stylish.

Me, I reckon it'll be a good laugh. It's got a triple-breasted 4-story tall bitch-demon in it, how could it not?

See, normally I could completely agree with you. I also enjoy a bit of braindead shooty-killy-explodey, but I feel Duke Nukem will have absolutely nothing to offer.

You say it will be a refreshing change from Halo, but to me it looks identical to Halo, but with a bit of tit and misogyny. I understand that it's lampooning itself, and I appreciate that, but it seems that its camp, OTT nature is just disguising its lack of substance.

If it was an unrelated game called "Shooty Alien Explodey" and it was outrageous and hilarious childish I'd probably buy it if it was to look fun and not come with an extortionate price tag.

The problem with this is that it's very cleverly selling itself for all the wrong reasons. We're expected to believe it's going to be phenominal because it's been in development for so long, but it looks to me like a Halo clone with boobies. I just don't like the idea of a well-polished turd topping the charts for purely cosmetic reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Halo copy paste? Really?

I preordered balls of steel edition today.

Duke allways was mindless fun. Taking a piss, good crack, fun, stupid, Fedd with anabolics, lots of naked chicks. Hell yeah!

Rated m - for mature :)

Seriuosly, I don't understand people who take duke seriuosly. He is what he is, and that's we love it.

I honestly camt wait for this game after seeing latest trailer. It has that dumb redneck humor. It will be the best!

For once I am happy they made it the way it is so far. All those damn halo and cod super drama cry horror feasts, they try to make us feel and cry with the characters in games, trying super realistic crap... They forget that they just become silly, in a bad way. Some places where developers wanted me to cry and feel, I just bursted laughing or meh.. Ed...

Duke mindless fun. Fun, fun fun fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The duke trailers I've seen reminded me of Bulletstorm and Gears of War and Halo in equal measure and a couple of others, granted it does look good but can't imagine it being anything worthy of game of the year etc. or for it to do much if anything new, only the duke humor will remain somewhat unique but even that is a paper thin selling point.

I will be out right shocked if it did anything new or innovative that hasn't been done already and better by countless fps titles in the last 5 let alone 10 years.

It's like arriving late to a party for obese kids and expecting there still to be cake :p

Don't get me wrong I'll gladly play it for old times sake , but all of these games are weekend rental material for me now. Even the recent and very enjoyable Bulletstorm failed to old my attention for any more than the rental period. Mind you, this end of the wedge could also be down to my age now , change in tastes and other factors :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There was a time that if Duke Nukem was released and wasn't the best game ever I would have been very disappointed. At this stage if it comes out and is fun I'll be happy.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There was a time that if Duke Nukem was released and wasn't the best game ever I would have been very disappointed. At this stage if it comes out and is fun I'll be happy.

I echo your sentiments completely. I certainly won't be buying it, but I'll probably borrow it off a friend for the weekend.

Advertisement