Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Preordered balls of steel at gamestop today. Even if it will be ****, I will still have a piece of history lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Preordered balls of steel at gamestop today. Even if it will be ****, I will still have a piece of history lol

When you say At Gamestop, do you mean instore? :)

Would be sweet if thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There was a time that if Duke Nukem was released and wasn't the best game ever I would have been very disappointed. At this stage if it comes out and is fun I'll be happy.

I'm with you on that one, TBH I havnt been following Duke Nuken at all over the years. But I saw this trailer, then I had a throw back to Duke Nukem on the playstation.

Then I went to Amazon and pre-ordered this....

I'm just raging that they never made a film of it with Arnie as Duke in the 90's. Instant Best Film Ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm just raging that they never made a film of it with Arnie as Duke in the 90's. Instant Best Film Ever

The game was inspired by a movie called They Live afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

They Live! with rowdy roddy piper, and bruce campbell's evil dead films ensured Duke was already a running gunning cliché first time out. lets see how he fares all these years later when we're of more acquired taste.. good luck to him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sarky wrote: »
    But sometimes after a hard day's work, you come home frazzled, and at those times, what you really want is to rip some motherf*cker's head off and sh*t down its neck while the background fills with tits that fire explosions.

Amen to that!
    One of my favourite films of all time is Memento, but on the total flipside of that, another favourite is Independence Day

The same rings true with games... Sometimes you're not in the mood to be challenged, you just want to blow **** up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

There's cheese and blowing the crap out of everything and then there is just stupid shíte.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/21/duke-nukem-forever-multiplayer-replaces-flag-with-capturable-slappable-women/
    Duke Nukem Forever’s “Capture the Babe” CTF variant requires you to abduct a woman to score. The mode is revealed in the latest issue of Official Xbox Magazine US where they explain that Gearbox will give the option to give her a “slap” if she “freaks out” as you drag her across the map.

WTF? Read on for the details and to hear Gearbox’s CEO’s attitude towards Duke’s controversy-bating elements.

Speaking to the magazine, Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford said: “Our goal isn’t to shock people, but I think there’s some stuff that’s a bit uncomfortable. I mean, the alien’s plan is to capture our women and impregnate them to breed an alien army, so you can imagine some horrible **** happens.”

OXM reports that Capture the Babe is “Pretty much what you’d expect to see from a CFT-style mode, with one small touch: the “Babe” will sometimes freak out while you’re carrying her (somewhat understandable we’d say) at which point you have to hit a button to gently give her a reassuring slap.”

According to Randy, Gearbox are intending to “Get right up to that edge and then relax enough so people don’t reject it.”

Sorry Randy, I just rejected.

I like flags and guns as much as the next man, but abducting and slapping women has never been on my gaming wishlist. Yes, footage of the mode in action hasn’t yet been released, but I’m finding it hard trying to imagine how this could be work out fine.

OXM details four multiplayer modes which will support up to eight players each: Dukematch, Team Dukematch, Capture the Babe and Hail to the King. Duke Nukem Forever will come in multiple editions, and is due for release May 3 2011.

Yeah won't be getting this, it's really pissed me off, one of the most expected game titles ever and they put this crap in it, when it's totally not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Duke threads merged.... please search for an existing thread before starting a new one, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

something being inviscerated

Is that when you put the guts back in?

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm with you on that one, TBH I havnt been following Duke Nuken at all over the years. But I saw this trailer, then I had a throw back to Duke Nukem on the playstation.

Then I went to Amazon and pre-ordered this....

after seeing latest trailer, i just could not ressist anymore...

"hell, i would still hit it"

"kutchi kutchi kutchi"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sharrow wrote: »
    There's cheese and blowing the crap out of everything and then there is just stupid shíte.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/21/duke-nukem-forever-multiplayer-replaces-flag-with-capturable-slappable-women/

Yeah won't be getting this, it's really pissed me off, one of the most expected game titles ever and they put this crap in it, when it's totally not needed.

Sounds like you could do with something to calm you down. Any idea's Duke?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, I suppose Gearbox know that if they push the right buttons, they'll get lots of free publicity from all the "outraged" media outlets & tabloids. So that multiplayer mode just seems like that *shrug*

Doesn't get me annoyed, but as much as I'm looking forward to the new Duke game, it feels like it's just going to be another potential shítstorm Gaming has to endure with the media.

Sounds like you could do with something to calm you down. Any idea's Duke?

i just read myself about he was flipping about...

he grabs a girl, when she starts panicing duke slaps her ass a bit... so this is why people are being emo? when someone said slapping a girl, i thought: feck... dont tell me he slapped girls face etc... exist warriors will be all over the game...

i slap my misses arse quite alot, she newer complained... in some scenarios she asks for it :D

people just need to relax and dont take it seriuosly...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The list gets longer :D OOOoo; it's in 720p :cool:

=-=

I'm hoping they allow mods out of the box. Duke3D was excellent fun at the time. It only became less fun when I had played the entire game a few times. I played Halflife1 twice. I can't think of any other game I played more than once, end to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Zillah wrote: »
    Is that when you put the guts back in?

Yeah, thanks for that. A gold star for you since you're very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah, thanks for that. A gold star for you since you're very clever.

Not gonna lie... i lol'd a wee bit :)

I can't really agree that duke was always "mindless fun",
    there were levels where you actually have to use your brain to advance through them, especially if you want to find the secret areas.
    For an action game, i thought it really struck a good balance, in its pacing between shooting, searching and solving.

It was the first fps to offer something more than "flick a switch to open a door",
    and probably the first platformer meets first person shooter, all thanks to the mighty build engine.
    It was as much vertical as it was horizontal, if you get what i mean.

The interactivity, size of the levels, vast weaponry and inventory, offered you lots of freedom to have fun and experiment.

I also fail to see how DNF could even resemble Halo.

It looks set to have plenty of fun to offer, besides shooting the **** out of aliens, but maybe not for people who are more into games like Cluedo!

Lads, forgive me for being such a fanboy, but here are some of the verbs that made Duke3D such a great action game in 1996:

Shoot, Kick, Squish, Walk, Run, Crawl, Jump, Fall, Swim, Fly, Shrink, Expand, Freeze, Attach (Trip Bomb), Throw, Detonate,
    Piss, Play, Climb, Decode, Drink (Water), Ingest(Roids), Shock, Shatter, Discover, Open, Unlock, Crack (Knuckles), Insult (Multiplayer).

They thought of everything really, far more than you'd expect from a shooter.

If you analyze each event that takes place in even just the first few levels,
    theres a lot going on in Dukes journey, which shows the amount of thought and imagination that went into the game,
    and the capabilities of such a great engine. Very hard to get bored playing a game like this.

- Your craft is shot down and descends in your view
    - you fall to the safety of a roof top
    - your hear your craft explode in the distance
    - you blow up gas canisters / shoot a fan / or kick either
    (thats 2 explosions in the first few seconds of the game!)
    - you fall down an air vent from the rooftop onto the street (something that was impossible in previous fps games),
    and replenish your health,
    - Kill an enemy, jump up on 3 platforms to find a secret weapon,
    - Get shot at by a enemy hiding behind a window, blow the enemy to pieces
    - jump into a second secret area, access surveillance cameras
    - kill another enemy, move a poster to find another secret
    - Jump down onto street, destroy a wall with your RPG
    - shoot more enemies, get burnt!, jump 2 more platforms to receive atomic health (the multiple ways of replenishing your health were great too)
    - destroy fire hydrant, drink to replenish health
    - shoot a window, open a door, blow up a fire extinguisher
    - earthquake + explosions, etc.. etc.

Thats a lot going on for the first minute of a game.
    Summary of cool **** that happens after that....
    Fly with a Jetpack

Level 2: Detonate a Building, blow up a manhole and enter a hidden sewer area, (the first time i done this, i was blown away by this level of detail, i was totally not expecting to be able to blow it and find a sewer underneath)
    Get a stripper to get her kit off
    Get kidnapped/imprisoned
    Level 3: Almost die in an electric chair......escape in a Submarine

Totally over-analyzing it i know, but you need to in order to truly appreciate the thought and imagination behind it.

It was a giant leap in gaming at the time,
    of course we live in different times now, and expecting DNF to make as big a leap would just be pointless
    considering how much there's a lot less space for innovation than there was then.

Duke3D certainly pushed things forward, and fast though.

waveform wrote: »
    Lads, forgive me for being such a fanboy, but here are some of the verbs that made Duke3D such a great action game in 1996:

Shoot, Kick, Squish, Walk, Run, Crawl, Jump, Fall, Swim, Fly, Shrink, Expand, Freeze, Attach (Trip Bomb), Throw, Detonate,
    Piss, Play, Climb, Decode, Drink (Water), Ingest(Roids), Shock, Shatter, Discover, Open, Unlock, Crack (Knuckles), Insult (Multiplayer).

theres a lot going on in Dukes journey, which shows the amount of thought and imagination that went into the game,
    and the capabilities of such a great engine. Very hard to get bored playing a game like this.

- you fall down an air vent from the rooftop onto the street (something that was impossible in previous fps games),
    - shoot more enemies, get burnt!, jump 2 more platforms to receive atomic health (the multiple ways of replenishing your health were great too)

Fly with a Jetpack

Level 2: Detonate a Building, blow up a manhole and enter a hidden sewer area, (the first time i done this, i was blown away by this level of detail, i was totally not expecting to be able to blow it and find a sewer underneath)
    Get kidnapped/imprisoned

Totally over-analyzing it i know, but you need to in order to truly appreciate the thought and imagination behind it.

of course we live in different times now, and expecting DNF to make as big a leap would just be pointless
    considering how much there's a lot less space for innovation than there was then.

What he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Tzar Gringo

sheehy83 wrote: »

you're laughing at the jiggling dildo, arn't you
    Sarky wrote: »
    But sometimes after a hard day's work, you come home frazzled, and at those times, what you really want is to rip some motherf*cker's head off and sh*t down its neck while the background fills with tits that fire explosions.

i can make space in my diary for that..

lets face it, dick jokes ain't all that. we need more pussy jokes - but full price for such a cheap game?!

• Advertisement

you're laughing at the jiggling dildo, arn't you

i can make space in my diary for that..

lets face it, dick jokes ain't all that. we need more pussy jokes - but full price for such a cheap game?!

Emmm read the post above there, long one. As it was perfect explanation why we loved duke back then.

You seem a few cock jokes and you think itvwill be all about cock? When u was watching newest trailer I sow awesome game play with few cock jokes mixed in.

I am really looking forward to that level where duke gets shrimper. How many games have done such solly cool thing?

I cam bet moist of duke fans love the jokes, but they love freedom gameplay it gave.

Some poeple will see only vulgarity in the game, ather will enjoy the fun it provides. Ofc you will get tue ones who will bitch it to he'll just of tue sake of it... Becouse IRS not main stream halo/cod seriousness? Sorry, silly seriousness

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

waveform wrote: »

Fly with a Jetpack

Get kidnapped/imprisoned

So it's like a new shiner instalment of Serious Sam?

Sharrow wrote: »
    So it's like a new shiner instalment of Serious Sam?

seriuos sam was fun like duke, but it was very very different game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

1225003176_APGME-L.jpg

Kiith wrote: »
    1225003176_APGME-L.jpg

Well played :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Just got an email from Gearbox.

Delayed until June now :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6fFKkmIrWM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Duke Nukem delayed????!!! SHOCKER!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

at least they're keeping with tradition

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Delayed until June. I knew I was right to not get my hopes up about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

I give up. Excitement is totally gone now

Advertisement