Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the name of the Irish version of Band Aid?

Options
  • 03-09-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

I saw it on reeling in the years last night. Possibly the worst thing i've ever heard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You probably mean "Self-Aid". For unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Self Aid.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_Aid and yes - it was pretty bad all right..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Was it not in aid of Irish jobs

Mickey D, created 20 jobs.

U 2 sang maggies farm, and I went to the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

From wikipedia:
    The purpose of the concert was to highlight the chronic unemployment problem in Ireland at the time, with nearly 250,000 people unemployed

If there was 250,000 people out of work, was there any need to highlight the fact? Surely there were 250,000 households who were well aware of the situation?

Also, from wikipedia:
    All profits from the concert and subsequent album, Live for Ireland, went to the Self Aid Trust

What is the Self Aid Trust? What was it used for? Is it still around, or does it have a new name? As in Jim Aiken's Bank Account.

syklops wrote: »

If there was 250,000 people out of work, was there any need to highlight the fact? Surely there were 250,000 households who were well aware of the situation?

You would think so, but Dublin 4 just had to do something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Did People in Need develop out of that? Margaret Heffernan had to ease her conscience somehow! I remember that company putting a lot of people on the dole in the fallout of Ben's skydiving attempt in Florida. If you were perceived as a 'Ben' man, you were history.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

I saw it on reeling in the years last night. Possibly the worst thing i've ever heard.

Show some concern I think ?? With the made up band name - The Concerned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was indeed on reeling in the years the other night.

What was scary is that I recognized hardly anybody from the clip, apart from Christy Moore, despite being about 13 or 14 when it was out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's not too laaaaate to learn, shoooow some concern

24 years and I had completely forgotten that song and the words.

you should hang thine head in shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭dasdog

From Wiki:

Auto Da Fe
    Bagatelle
    Blue in Heaven
    The Boomtown Rats
    Paul Brady
    Chris de Burgh
    Cactus World News
    The Chieftains
    Clannad
    De Danann
    Rory Gallagher
    The Fountainhead
    In Tua Nua
    Christy Moore
    Van Morrison
    Moving Hearts
    The Pogues
    Chris Rea
    Scullion
    Brush Shiels
    Stockton's Wing
    Thin Lizzy
    Those Nervous Animals
    U2
    Elvis Costello

It could have been a lot worse TBH (or better if Philo hadn't died 5 months before it). I was only 11 at the time but that blonde girl from An Tua Nua...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

macrubicon wrote: »
    Show some concern I think ?? With the made up band name - The Concerned

That was it...The Concerned.

Christy Moore, Maxi & Twink were the only two I recognised. It had a kind of reggae vibe to the verse and then the chorus sounded like it was written by a child. It was hard to tell if the expressions on their faces was pity for the starving or for themselves.

Found it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPATNkkaVpA

Who are these people?!?!

The chorus is starting to grow on me...

Nothing quite sets a tone of sheer despair and suffering like a sultry sax solo...I need to get the full song. Is it on iTunes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

dasdog wrote: »
    From Wiki:

It could have been a lot worse TBH (or better if Philo hadn't died 5 months before it). I was only 11 at the time but that blonde girl from In Tua Nua...

Lesley Dowdall.

l_5bd14491799c932c3d22cfcc90512a12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Two different things..

The Concerned - Show Some Concern (1985).. was written by Paul Cleary from The Blades (the first singer in the video).. .. It was in aid of African famine victims. It was Ireland version of the UK's Do They Know it XMas, and the USA's We are the World etc.

Self Aid (1986) - Was for the unemployed in Ireland. The Blades refused to be involved. iirc Cleary believed it was the governments job to solve the problem, and that bands using the event to promote their latest single wasn't the best Ireland could do for the unemployed..

Cleary used to do a great solo version of the song at Blades gigs, but that over produced single was just rubbish. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Who are these people?!?!
    Paul Cleary
    Gaye Woods
    Christy Moore
    Twink
    Can't remember?
    Maxi
    Two girls copying Banarama
    Red Hurley
    Flo McSweeney
    Everyone
    Linda Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Ispin

Leeeeet's maaaake it work. What a track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Leslie Dowdall was the Irish pop babe of the 80s, you can keep your Enyas and Flo McSweeneys! :pac: Actually Irish pop babes were rather thin on the ground...

mike65 wrote: »
    Actually Irish pop babes were rather thin on the ground...

Ah come on...Dolores Keane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ah come on...Dolores Keane?

You're kidding, right?

Anyway, ta me ag taped it all off the radio at the time.

I mastered it all onto digital last year when I was chucking out loads of stuff.

Highlights for me were Cactus World News and Those Nervous Animals.

Rory had a string on his guitar go totally out of tune during 'Follow Me' and only noticed half-way through and Van totally fluffing a spoken intro to one of his songs.

Advertisement