Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legs and shaving...

• 03-09-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

So my wife asked me last night why cyclists shave their legs.... and you know what, I couldn't give her a convincing answer..... dammit :mad:.

Why do cylcists shave their legs...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

For the same reason that golfists wear terrible jumpers - it's just part of the culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

My sports massage this morning reminded me why I do it. Ah, no hair pulls :)

Also, it looks better on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pro cyclist get a massage twice a day (i think) when racing, having had a massage last week i am tempted (also it makes cleaning road rash easier)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It looks and feels better. But it's a lot of work and I find it time consuming enough to shave my face so it will be growing back over the winter.
    Here are what I think are the top 5 reasons to shave.

Crashes
    If you crash, it’s easier to clean up the road rash and doesn’t hurt as much taking off bandages. I say at least for mountain biking, if you never crash you aren’t riding fast enough or riding technical enough trails. Even if you just ride on the road, if you ride enough you’re bound to go down.

Tradition
    Road cyclists have been shaving their legs for decades. If you you show up for a serious group ride with unshaven legs, other riders will shun you. Nobody will want to be riding close to you. They will think you aren’t experienced riding in a pack. This means you’ll likely cause a crash. Even mountain bikers should be using group road rides for training. Pro mountain bikers spend about 70% of their time training on the road.

Psychological Advantage
    I generally end up shaving my legs about the time I start getting fast on the bike. Having my legs shaved makes me feel even faster. Other riders I know have said the same thing. Thinking you’re faster can make the difference between being dropped or dropping someone else.

It Feels Better
    I’ve found that when it’s warm and I haven’t shaved my legs, I get more bugs hanging out and biting me. I also don’t like the feel of the wind on my hairy legs when descending at 50 mph. After a mountain bike race with mud bogs and and stream crossings, it’s no fun standing in the parking lot with only a little water and trying to clean mud off hairy legs.

I left massage out of that, I've had one massage in 4 years of cycling. Yes, I regret not having more now after seeing how great they are, but we don't get massaged to the same extent the pros do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I find it time consuming enough to shave my face so it will be growing back over the winter.
    You gonna be growing a beard for the colder months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I left massage out of that, I've had one massage in 4 years of cycling. Yes, I regret not having more now after seeing how great they are, but we don't get massaged to the same extent the pros do.

Where did you go for the massage? Is there anywhere good in town?

alfalad wrote: »
    Where did you go for the massage? Is there anywhere good in town?

It was after the SK, I got a card in the door a week or so ago offering a mobile massage service though. I was very skeptical about the benefits of massage but honestly I felt like I could have done another 160km after having it. Legs felt really, really good.

@bcmf: Might be handy to have a face warmer but any attempts I have made previously to grow one have ended with frustration and a lot of scratching. I suppose it would complete the winter look though, will have to consult the euro police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

a Dali-esque style growth would be tres-euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Fender76 wrote: »
    So my wife asked me last night why cyclists shave their legs.... and you know what, I couldn't give her a convincing answer..... dammit :mad:.

for the same reason she does - to attract admiring glances from other men!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Why do women shave or wax their.............

Cause it looks good and feels better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Good article here, old but it doesn't really matter.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Chicks dig it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Whats a derailleur?

I'd like to know where people shave to? A recent pub discussion (with a cyclist) proved futile....

I'd like to know where people shave to? A recent pub discussion (with a cyclist) proved futile....

How much time do you have and how much do you care are probably good answers.

EDIT: Oh wait, it's you! I can't remember what the answer was.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Well I do know of one forum member who proudly announced some time ago that he shaves his arse and is prone to advising others that they should do the same.

Maybe you could get the ball rolling by telling us where you shave to? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

el tonto wrote: »
    Well I do know of one forum member who proudly announced some time ago that he shaves his arse and is prone to advising others that they should do the same.

Well, among his first words to us upon his arrival in Dungarvan were that you, very definitely don't and should. He didn't announce it so much as whisper it hoarsely in a what-has-been-seen-cannot-be-unseen kind of way.

Maybe you could get the ball rolling by telling us where you shave to? ;)

To my knees - blonde hairs above the knees can stay there!

I do the entire leg. Hairy bermuda shorts is not a good look.

Ahhhhhh, too much, too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

In fairness, when you're still wearing your lycra at 11pm the other occupants of the pub are less likely to notice how far you shave.....

• Advertisement

In fairness, when you're still wearing your lycra at 11pm the other occupants of the pub are less likely to notice how far you shave.....

True, no one noticed a thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Just to up the TMI quotient of this thread, it's hairy boxer shorts for me, but no further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Guybrush T wrote: »
    Just to up the TMI quotient of this thread, it's hairy boxer shorts for me, but no further.

OK, that's just weird. Hairshorts?? Why man, why??

I had a teammate who did this. Then one day he had a decent sized crash and ripped his bibs up fairly comprehensively. The EMT guys gave him an awful hard time about the hairshorts. Road rash and leg hair = not good.

That reminds me, I need to get up 10mins earlier tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

dave2pvd wrote: »
    OK, that's just weird. Hairshorts?? Why man, why??

I had a teammate who did this. Then one day he had a decent sized crash and ripped his bibs up fairly comprehensively. The EMT guys gave him an awful hard time about the hairshorts. Road rash and leg hair = not good.

That reminds me, I need to get up 10mins earlier tomorrow....

I think you're misreading, it's hairy boxer shorts, so near the top of the leg. Basically I refuse to shave my arse, that's just weird. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think you're misreading, it's hairy boxer shorts, so near the top of the leg. Basically I refuse to shave my arse, that's just weird. :p

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dokter

Check the last picture from the tour of spain last Wed.
    Who has the best legs.....
    http://www.steephill.tv/2010/vuelta-a-espana/photos/stage-05/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Just shave the whole leg, no? Why the shocking transition, hidden under the hem of your boxers? It's just not natural ;)

I agree re arse-shaving - too difficult. And also too much potential for ingrowns there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I do the entire leg. Hairy bermuda shorts is not a good look.

I prefer the hairy thong look myself;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Because hair on the legs slows them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Back, crack & sack...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

i was in A&E last week and the medical team said, and i quote, "just as well you shave your legs it will help cuts will heel faster and the bandages would hurt like hell taking them off hairy legs!!"
    there, its now a proven medical fact!!! shaven legs are good for you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

The adverts advertising stockings etc are generally mens legs as they have better definition then womens ...........apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭giannip

Fall off & leave some skin on the road. A lot less painful to clean up & manage + keeps wounds cleaner if no hairs get in.

Of course that's probably the wrong argument to use in the wife :D

Maybe show her pics of tanned, ripped cycling legs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I do it because it looks better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

thanks for clearing that up CH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

I was asked this same question by a non cyclist recently and I tried offering the usual explanations (aerodynamics, tradition, hygiene etc) but I had to concede that yes, in this climate and with our pasty skin twinned with lycra shorts....short fat shaven legs look marginally less ridiculous than short fat hairy legs.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Have never and will never!
    Voilà, the sexiest legs on this forum:
    21042010041.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Have never and will never!
    Voilà, the sexiest legs on this forum

Ah, the Kilkenny legwarmers.

Advertisement