Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd dog

Options
  • 03-09-2010 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

right so my boyfriend has gotten me a second dog as a surprise we pick him up this evening! a few worrys.
    mainly the other dog im worried about him being jelous the new dogs only 10weeks and oscar is 2 and a half! i know he would love a compainion but am worried? are there any tips on how to prevent this? any other advice aprechated... thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

I think before you bring any new dog into your house. you should excersise/walk him for at least an hour. this is natural for your dog and will prepare him for a move as packs will migrate like this. I'd let the two dogs settle themselves but remain in control yourself. the best thing I did for my jack Russell was take on a rescue dog. they get on really well but even now a year later they can get jealous and play tug of war for new toys. when things get too loud I intervene and they know they overstepped the mark and quietened. best of luck with your new friend. you won't regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Can you get a friend to meet you at your house (or park if pup has all vacs) with the pup, and let them meet in the garden, make sure your dog has been walked first and remove any toys etc that could cause conflict.
    Let them have a play around and good sniff, and let them wander in and out of the house. Keep an eye on them and if all is going well you're pretty much there, just don't leave them unsupervised for a while(few weeks at least) and make sure they sleep separately, get fed separately first few day, then supervised, and don't make a fuss of the pup, your existing dog should come first, still be walked alone and get to spend some time with you alone.
    My dog was a year when I introduced second dog, he was a little put out at times when she tried to climb into his bed or jumped on him constantly(tell the pup no for this, don't scold your dog for being cross about it if its just a growl or push), but it went well and now they hate being apart.
    Best of luck, and don't panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

thanks! im gettin an oppisite of sex so oscar a boy netured and now im gettin a girl who i plan on neutering when old enough!! oscar gets at least two walks a day but still can be a bit bold (diggin and pulling plants in the garden) im hopping that with a second dog it will distract him for that (the vet said it will help) but hoping he doesnt teach the new one and i have double the mess... cause thats the main worry of the parents.. two dogs = bigger mess!
    alot of people said oscar does it to act out as he wants a friend
    we also have a cat who is the main boss shes the oldest and she let oscar no that the day we got him so hoping she doesnt see this as another threath and get annoyed! :D
    what about feeding time oscar usually doesnt have a probelm when dogs come to vist and take a bite of his food but if they go near him when hes gettin a treat he gets fairly annoyed!

mymo wrote: »
    Can you get a friend to meet you at your house (or park if pup has all vacs) with the pup, and let them meet in the garden, make sure your dog has been walked first and remove any toys etc that could cause conflict.
    Let them have a play around and good sniff, and let them wander in and out of the house. Keep an eye on them and if all is going well you're pretty much there, just don't leave them unsupervised for a while(few weeks at least) and make sure they sleep separately, get fed separately first few day, then supervised, and don't make a fuss of the pup, your existing dog should come first, still be walked alone and get to spend some time with you alone.
    My dog was a year when I introduced second dog, he was a little put out at times when she tried to climb into his bed or jumped on him constantly(tell the pup no for this, don't scold your dog for being cross about it if its just a growl or push), but it went well and now they hate being apart.
    Best of luck, and don't panic!

as oscar stays alone for a few hours a day gets walked before and after im worried about the other pup i can get someone else to mind him durning the day but then will oscar feel im taking the other dog and negilicting him!!? ive wanted this dogs for nearly a year and now the time has come and im in panic!!!!

My dog was the same, anyone could eat from his bowl, but it can still be a point to watch him as they can get jealous or tired of the pup and snap. To be honest it was never a problem with my two(also boy and girl) but do watch for a while just incase.
    As for the digging, I had opposite, one very good angel of a dog....then the pup arrived and she taught him to dig! She stripped all my peas off my plants, dug up my carrots, etc....but its calmed down now(mostly, a year later) and the worst they get up to is stealing socks and jumping on my bed.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

How long is Oscar alone?
    I wouldn't leave them together alone for a few weeks. Do you have a crate? I left the pup in a crate, with some food when out, and gave the dog free run of house, but left his bed near the crate. The longest they were like this was 2 or 3 hours. Do you have anyone who could go in during the day and let them out to toilet and have a play?

This would also help with toilet training.

mymo wrote: »
    My dog was the same, anyone could eat from his bowl, but it can still be a point to watch him as they can get jealous or tired of the pup and snap. To be honest it was never a problem with my two(also boy and girl) but do watch for a while just incase.
    As for the digging, I had opposite, one very good angel of a dog....then the pup arrived and she taught him to dig! She stripped all my peas off my plants, dug up my carrots, etc....but its calmed down now(mostly, a year later) and the worst they get up to is stealing socks and jumping on my bed.:rolleyes:

well oscar sleeps on my bed plan on keeping it that way and the new one a bed on the flour untill they can sleep together on the bed! big enough for all of us haha!! i just want to make sure oscar knows he is in charge and not the new one!
    should i slowly but surely try leaving them alone maybe just go to the front for five minutes then try ten minutes ect make sure there ok?
    oscar gets along with nearly all dogs and when the boyfriends dog is over to stay he has no probelm ( he stayed for a month and a half at one point! ) he is younger then oscar but bigger the new dog when fully grown will be half oscars size! (yorkie) (minuture shaunzer)

yes have a crate we used for oscar when we started leaving him alone only a few hours a day i try get home for lunch and usuelly some one in the house till 10 or 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would immediately walk them together. By meeting away from the house he will not be so territorial. Then when they are both acquainted & tired bring them into the garden & then house. A male is very unlikely to be nasty to a female pup. Remember to give equal attention - not easy with a pup & praise the older dog when he behaves nicely.

Avoid conflict by keeping them apart when feeding. Nothing worse that a pup trying to steal the older dog's food !

Thanks every all so helpful didn't get him tonight my dad wants to run a few house rules down ect make sure were in the right position witch I agree with plus there is no rush make sure every one at home is happy with the new addition! Thanks guys will keep you updated :-) and maybe pics if I get her!

• Advertisement

so the new lil miss was bought home last night and to say oscar confused i dont think he noes its a dog think he feels she more a gerbil but hes been fairly good sharing a bed with her and ignoring her food on the ground so i think were on a good track!! hope it continues like this :-) ill post some pics later :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

So how are things going with the new arrival?? dying to hear any update and see the pics!!

things are going good oscar still a but unsure but he is protecting her very well will upload a pic now of the two of them in the car!:D

heres them in the car today and another of just her on are way home on saturday
    will get more photos when she is a bit more settled!!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

i decided to get a second dog, went to a rescue centre, the dogs met and they got on straight away. one is a calm spaniel the new one is a lively, terrier cross, one female and one male = perfect match.

yes there pretty happy now! oscar is afraid to touch her tho he noes she is small so he just jumps back when she goes to play!
    but the two of them slept on the bed with me last night happy as anything! its just the cat that needs to get used to her! :-)

Advertisement