Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Analog TV Coverage in Waterford Gone Terrible?

• 03-09-2010 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering has anyone been experiencing any difficulties with their NTL Analog over the past few days?
    Since Tuesday all the channels have been unwatchable. Living in Johns Park area. Tried all the wires, and still no good. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Yeah we have the analog in the kitchen and the reception isn't the best. I think it's a ploy by NTL to get everyone onto the digital. They have little if no interest in the analog business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

What's bad for analogue is good for digital. Both signals go down the same wire. The less bandwith allocated for analogue the more available for digital. I'd say this is what NTL are doing as it will result in poorer picture quality for the analogue signal but greater quality for the digital signal. If everyone was on digital and the full bandwith could be used we'd all have an excellent signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Analogue wont last forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Will somebody at NTL please think of the planet. All those digital boxes consuming electricty. Go analogue! It's greener - it's the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

What's bad for analogue is good for digital. Both signals go down the same wire. The less bandwith allocated for analogue the more available for digital. I'd say this is what NTL are doing as it will result in poorer picture quality for the analogue signal but greater quality for the digital signal. If everyone was on digital and the full bandwith could be used we'd all have an excellent signal.

I didn't pay full price to get a terrible signal at the expense of the digital signals though.

Well when I'm going to go Digital, I'll definately be going elsewhere. How dare NTL/UPC treat loyal customers like this after so many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

iseegirls wrote: »
    I didn't pay full price to get a terrible signal at the expense of the digital signals though.

Well when I'm going to go Digital, I'll definately be going elsewhere. How dare NTL/UPC treat loyal customers like this after so many years.

Oh I agree with you. They've been doing it for years. My analogue signal quality was so bad for years I had to get digital. And I stayed with NTL because it didn't require anything new to be installed as all the wires were already there. But I'm not overly impressed with their service. However I had Sky in another house and the second it rained or we had a bit of wind the signal was affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 theMAC

A Bad Analogue signal still uses the same bandwidth (8Mhz) so it's not being squeezed by digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magpie30

as far as i know digital is almost the same price as analog anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

indeed, the last time I checked a few months back when changing to digital it was actually cheaper than analogue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Could be the extra broadband speeds. We get a message early this week to say that they were increasing the speed, so it could be affecting analog siignal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

However I had Sky in another house and the second it rained or we had a bit of wind the signal was affected.

Probably just wasn't installed properly. We regularly get very strong wind down the side of our house from a long lane that acts like a wind tunnel. The Sky dish is right in its path and the signal is rock solid. Rain poses no problem either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Digital is about €1.50 pm cheaper...but that's just a ploy to make u change. Had nil to unwatchable.... Living channel for past 6 months along with others but all they want to do is come out to my house....no thanks.

Just biding my time till RTE launch to see best gear to get then going for Free to Air...probably wait till things settle down and go about March 2011.

Is there some drawback? If digital is cheaper and better quality (are there also more channels?) why would you not want to change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

iseegirls wrote: »

I'll tell ya what. Just cancel with them. You'll still have all your channels anyway. That'll show em. I never had to pay for NTL analogue in the past, tis always on anyways isn't it? ;)

Oh I agree with you. They've been doing it for years. My analogue signal quality was so bad for years I had to get digital. And I stayed with NTL because it didn't require anything new to be installed as all the wires were already there. But I'm not overly impressed with their service. However I had Sky in another house and the second it rained or we had a bit of wind the signal was affected.

Was your Sky dish installed by an ape?

Kahless wrote: »
    Is there some drawback? If digital is cheaper and better quality (are there also more channels?) why would you not want to change?

1. Their customer care is terrible
    2. They couldn't even provide me with a half decent analogue service.
    3. Some digital customers report it's just as unreliable as the analogue probably due to signal passing through old cables and boxes.

They boast Fibre Optic but from where to where....certainly not to my gaff.

Don't start me:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Was your Sky dish installed by an ape?
    isnt everyones:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭ei9go

Rather than complaining about the analogue reception which has always been less than good, why not receive the channels yourself.

Most of the channels are free to air

You need an aerial for the Irish Channels.

A dish will give BBC 1 2 3 4 ITV 1 2 3 4 CH4 Five E4 More4 Sky News BBC News 24 and countless other channels for free.

Put a quad lnb on your dish and you can run 4 boxes or 2 boxes and a pvr.

Or buy a Humax Freesat PVR from Amazon for around £200 and you get Sky Plus like functionality.

You will also get BBCHD and ITV 1 HD with the Humax and there is full HD BBC1 coming later this year---all for free.

Icky Thump wrote: »
    isnt everyones:D

Mine wasn't. It works even when there is a torrential downpour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

ei9go wrote: »
    Rather than complaining about the analogue reception which has always been less than good, why not receive the channels yourself.

Most of the channels are free to air

You need an aerial for the Irish Channels.

A dish will give BBC 1 2 3 4 ITV 1 2 3 4 CH4 Five E4 More4 Sky News BBC News 24 and countless other channels for free.

Put a quad lnb on your dish and you can run 4 boxes or 2 boxes and a pvr.

Or buy a Humax Freesat PVR from Amazon for around £200 and you get Sky Plus like functionality.

You will also get BBCHD and ITV 1 HD with the Humax and there is full HD BBC1 coming later this year---all for free.

Now that sounds like a plan, I won'r signup for digital cause I'm going on maternity and if money is tight the (crap analog) telly will be going!

Now how much is 10mb broadband on its own from ntl, their website is a riddle.

OK found it €37.75.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Mine wasn't. It works even when there is a torrential downpour.
    i mean "ape" as in big hairy guy:D

And the answer is still no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The number of people who through a lethal mix of ignorance and sheer inertia stick with pay tv when they are not interested in sport/first run movies is crazy. I took the plunge about 18 months back - DTT via ariel for RTE (no TV3 yet) and FTA set up for the main UK channels. Sure it would be nice to have LFCtv or Sky for certain events but I can live without them for the savings made.

mike65 wrote: »
    The number of people who through a lethal mix of ignorance and sheer inertia stick with pay tv when they are not interested in sport/first run movies is crazy. I took the plunge about 18 months back - DTT via ariel for RTE (no TV3 yet) and FTA set up for the main UK channels. Sure it would be nice to have LFCtv or Sky for certain events but I can live without them for the savings made.

that is all in the pipeline as posted earlier
    pudds: Just biding my time till RTE launch to see best gear to get then going for Free to Air...probably wait till things settle down and go about March 2011.

As Watty over in the tech dept says...
    People are ill advised to buy anything especially for Irish Digital TV (Saorview or Saorsat) for at least a few months more and maybe till May/June 2011.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Anybody out there have no ntl digital at the moment,near top of the folly???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

mine is gone up johns hill. same as last week

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

My digital is all over the place, picture and sound breaking up big time. Impossible to watch.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

My digital is all over the place, picture and sound breaking up big time. Impossible to watch.:mad:

mine was like that all day today, i rang ntl and they said to unplug the box for 10 minutes and restart (appraently they were updating today), it now works perfect again.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sydsad

having a bitta trouble with ntl as well. I have 2 tvs and they are both ****ed from this or that. atm the one in the sitting room, on most of the channels are zoomed in as if i changed the ratio or whatever its called to zoom. No matter what i do it stays like that. The one in the bedroom keeps going off and on while telling me im not subscribed the channels that i am.

Im going to sky i think. Constant **** i get off NTL.

boooo

• Advertisement

johndoe99 wrote: »
    mine was like that all day today, i rang ntl and they said to unplug the box for 10 minutes and restart (appraently they were updating today), it now works perfect again.

They tell people that so often I suppose it was bound to work sooner or later.

Advertisement