Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New bike - advise please on what to buy

• 03-09-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

OK, so I'm currently riding a Spec Allez and can avail of the BtW Scheme. The only outlet my employer will deal thru is CycleSuperstore in Tallaght, so thats a limiting factor. So too is budget !

I'm looking at spending €1200 or so excluding the tax efficient piece, so total about €1750, or thereabouts. CSS dont want to know about trade-ins on the Spec.

I'd obviously like a carbon frame and the Ridley Orion jumps out at me - I've read a number of threads on here and it seems well thought of amongst Boardsie existing owners. Apart from the frame, the groupset on the Orion is very good (Ultegra or Campy Veloce) and unlikely to be bettered in the medium term by my basic skill level (max 100km spins, out 2-3 times per week in summer, 2-3 per month otherwise). I recently completed the SKT 90k and had fun. I'm not competing and dont intend to use the bike for commuting, or anything other than club rides etc

So to my query: given the limited choice in one retailer, is there another bike up to that price category that I should consider? I'm thinking perhaps to maybe spend a bit less - get a composite frame, or upper-end Ally frame, with the same or better kit? I know the advice is generally to spend as much as you can and get the best available, but perhaps there's something out there that I'm missing? Perhaps entry-level carbon frames are not that good/reliable/durable, compared to upper-end aluminium frames?

Any considered opinion welcome.

Ta muchly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Have a look at the Cube Attempt SL, serious piece of kit, full Ultegra equipped think its around 1300 - 1500 in Cyclesuperstore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Entry level carbon is fine, it just tends to be built a bit heavier. For instance, you might get an alloy steerer on a carbon fork.

Advertisement