Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buyin a new MTB and time of year

• 03-09-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Just to put a twist on the many which bike. I am currently thinking of buying a mtb. I would like to run trials in the winter and use it maybe in a few XC races. I have a budget of about 1500/1600 yoyos and this would include the bike to work scheme. Visited a few local stores and there stocks of bikes seem to be quite low. I was told the Rockhoppers are all gone and next years stock should be in soon. Similar story with the Lapierre 300 which looked like a decent bike. I see that Euro bike is on at the moment.. Any one any idea when the new stock will be available in Irish shops ? Or which bikes are looking good in this price range :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

What do you mean 'you would like to run trials in the winter' ??

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theotherone

By trails i meet the odd trip to Ballyhoura Mountain Bike Trails and a few loops of the local woods during the dark nights of winter. I am looking for a hardtail, with decent components and a decent fork with lockout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You're really lost for choice with bikes in that price range. How about a Stumpjumper:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/stumpjumper-comp-2010-mountain-bike-ec020342?query=stumpjumper

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jomkerry

if you're around Killarney, try O'Sullivans down near the catherdral church. They've plenty of good bikes and will work with you to find a machine that suits you and your budget. There's no B**shi* and they're good to deal with. I'm an Xc/roadie so I deal them on a very regular basis. Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Ohhhh right..it's just you said trials in the first post... and that would mean a big comprimise in getting a bike to do both...

That is a big budget for a bike and there is a huge choice in that price bracket. Everyone has different opinions too on what is good and what isn't. You can't really go wrong with the likes of Giant, Trek etc... Remember to budget for Shoe's, pedal's, helmet, gloves etc.... 2011 bikes seem to be available now online...irish shops will take a little longer to get them usually.

Check out this Carbon badboy for only €1899

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SamB64

Personally, I'd say go for a rockhopper disc -t's bit more upright than the Stumpy but it's still a whole lot of bike for 1000 Euro.

Before I upgraded I loved my Rockhopper.

That leaves you a fair amount spare for some decent LEDs too

Night Riding Night Riding :D

Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

your mad to go hardtail, some of the fs xc bikes out now are whopper and will leave hardtails for dead as well as a sore arse!

Advertisement