Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toilet cistern problem

• 03-09-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Every time I flush the toilet it takes longer than the others to fill and makes a drip, drip sound.
    I had a look and all seems ok (just basing it on looking at that one and another).
    anyone any ideas what it could be?

Also someone said put a small bottle of water into your cistern- say it'll use less water and help save water. True or not a good idea?
    Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Sounds to me like a blocked inlet valve. Sometimes this happens due to a piece of grit or debris coming down from the water tank. Could also be the diaphragm in the inlet valve sticking.

You could open the valve and check it out. If you decide to try this then you will need to turn off the water and drain the attic tank (unless you have external valve to allow you to turn off water to cistern).

A plumber would sort this out quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

if its always being happening i am guessing one of 3 things.

1. You have a high pressure inlet valve. quite common on some muck thats out there

2. You use blu loos and its clogged the inlet valve.

3. Your unfortunate.

If its a pressure problem there is one of 2 solutions

1. Stack 1 or 2 or 3 one pound coins on top of the valve. Not the syphon now...the valve....for all you doubting thomases this works

2. Change the ball valve to a low pressure valve. MT Agencies do them in finglas you can ring them and ask for your nearest agent. Or just chace your arm with a plumber suppliers.

ps... Your cistern is a top flush. That means it produces 6 ltrs. 3 or 6 if you have a dual flush. its already a water saver. Use baby wipes and put them in the bin if you dont want to use any less water. ;-)

Advertisement