Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Study Contends Cannabis Isn't a Major 'Gateway Drug'

• 03-09-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

A new report casts doubt on the argument that marijuana is a "gateway drug" that plays a major role in leading people to try other illegal drugs.

Researchers found that other factors, such as ethnicity and stress levels, are more likely to predict whether young adults will use other illegal drugs.

Even unemployment appears to be more closely linked to harder illicit drug use than marijuana use, the study authors noted.

"Employment in young adulthood can protect people by 'closing' the marijuana gateway, so over-criminalizing youth marijuana use might create more serious problems if it interferes with later employment opportunities," study co-author Karen Van Gundy, an associate professor of sociology at the University of New Hampshire, said in a university news release.

The researchers based their findings on surveys of 1,286 young adults who attended Miami-area public schools in the 1990s.

Ethnicity was the best predictor of future illegal drug use, the study findings indicated, with whites the most likely to use the drugs, followed by Hispanics and then blacks.

The study findings are published in the September issue of the Journal of Health and Social Behavior.

So does early use of marijuana play a role in boosting the likelihood of later drug use? It's unclear.

"This study really doesn't answer the question," said Dr. Richard D. Blondell, director of addictions research at the University at Buffalo (UB), who was not involved in the new study. "As the authors point out, there are a lot of factors at play here. There is no one single answer to why somebody develops addiction."

In a study published recently in the Journal of Addiction Medicine, Blondell and colleagues at UB reported that new research suggests that many people first get addicted to drugs while using prescription painkillers.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/brain-and-behavior/articles/2010/09/03/study-contends-pot-isnt-a-major-gateway-drug.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

in before 'sure coffee is a gateway drug'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Murt10

I'm sure that I read of similar results some time ago from an Irish survey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Holy common sense, Batman!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

TPD wrote: »
    Holy common sense, Batman!

it is ridiculous that a study is needed to point out anything that's common knowledge...just ask a couple of thousand people who know about the subject and...

oh yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

calpol was my gateway drug

once I had tasted that purple syrup I was hooked

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bazmaiden wrote: »

Uniflu was the cause of my downfall... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

well duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

i was more of a drowsy Benylin kid myself ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Pure unadulterated heroin was my drug. After that I moved onto baby's tears. I want to move onto something better now, like letting murderers and rapists walk free. So I going to become a judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

You mean to say that 95% of people I know who have tried it aren't junkies? :confused:
    Gosh, you think you know someone and they turn out to be perfectly normally functioning, well rounded individuals*

* To a reasonable degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

in before 'sure coffee is a gateway drug'
    Funny our office "thought" we ran out of coffee for the machine yesterday....i have to say it was a tense moment akin to losing a bag of weed....i really thought some sh*t was gonna go down, until someone produced a bag of coffee they were hiding for such emergencies....riot averted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

"report on cannabis tells us something all rational and reasonable people already knew" shocker.

It'll take a few years but the taboos about this relatively harmless (yeah i said it, big whoop wanna fight about it?) drug will be broken down.

When that day comes I'll be sparking a fat one.

Edit: I take it back, cannabis is a gateway drug..... to the friggin' munchies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Uniflu was the cause of my downfall... :(
    ShadowGal wrote: »
    i was more of a drowsy Benylin kid myself ;-)

Gripe water/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Cannabis is crap anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

mikom wrote: »
    Gripe water/

they just made gripe water taste so damn good :cool:

Cannabis is crap anyway.

Oh how wrong you are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

i like your name op super sliver haze always knock my socks off!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cannabis is crap anyway.
    I assume by crap you mean the shit, as in the American "awesome" like sense of the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭stbrennan

ffs look at Amsterdamn.
    They built legoland.
    LEGOLAND!!
    What did we build?.....

Thats right! We built the spire. We even contructed it like lego. Piece on another piece on another piece.

They built a land....we built a stick.
    You do the math!

coz I'm too baked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

...and a Boards.ie poll brought it to you first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth, eleventh, twelfth, thirteenth, fourteenth, etc. .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Eh?

Q: So does early use of marijuana play a role in boosting the likelihood of later drug use?

A: "This study really doesn't answer the question," "As the authors point out, there are a lot of factors at play here. There is no one single answer to why somebody develops addiction."

So it doesn't really contend it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

this is only news to anyone who has never used it. ie the people against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Cannabis is crap anyway.
    wrong cannabis is grrrreeeeaat.

nothing like a spliff in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Oh how wrong you are...

Do go on, you were just about to back up your post when...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

Alcohol, IMO, is the biggest gateway drug out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A gateway to what exactly?

Cue - Ray Mazerack waffling on about "opening the doors of perception, maaan".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭AKA pat sheen

biko wrote: »
    Eh?

Q: So does early use of marijuana play a role in boosting the likelihood of later drug use?

A: "This study really doesn't answer the question," "As the authors point out, there are a lot of factors at play here. There is no one single answer to why somebody develops addiction."

So it doesn't really contend it?

A:"This study really doesn't answer the question," said Dr. Richard D. Blondell, director of addictions research at the University at Buffalo (UB), who was not involved in the new study. "As the authors point out, there are a lot of factors at play here. There is no one single answer to why somebody develops addiction."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I smoked hash once*, Now I'm on crack.
    How do you explain that?

*I didn't inhale.

Do go on, you were just about to back up your post when...

Maybe a more accurate post would be "cannabis is crap....for me" or perhaps you could share with us your reasons for saying it's crap before I back my post up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

But didn't Mary Harney once say 'soft drugs lead to hard drugs lead to death'? At which point someone pointed out that obesity could also kill ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 BrockSamson

Originally Posted by Stercus Accidit
    Cannabis is crap anyway.

The reason you think cannabis is crap is the stuff your getting of Irish dealers is called soap bar and should not be confused with cannabis

The main reason for me weed should be legalised is to stop contaminated weed being sold by Irish gangs

alot of smokers find to hard to tell the difference

http://www.gritweed.co.uk/gritweed.htm

Excellent name sir.

There is of course one surefire way of not funding criminal gangs and making sure you get great weed...

But didn't Mary Harney once say 'soft drugs lead to hard drugs lead to death'? At which point someone pointed out that obesity could also kill ya

No what she actually said was .... 'freddo's lead to dairymilk's lead to nyom, nyom, nyom '

A gateway to what exactly?

Cue - Ray Mazerack waffling on about "opening the doors of perception, maaan".
    gateway to a multipack of tayto for me now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

stbrennan wrote: »
    ffs look at Amsterdamn.
    They built legoland.
    LEGOLAND!!
    What did we build?.....

Thats right! We built the spire. We even contructed it like lego. Piece on another piece on another piece.

They built a land....we built a stick.
    You do the math!

coz I'm too baked...

legoland is in denmark!

• Advertisement

flas wrote: »
    legoland is in denmark!

Dutch contractors

flas wrote: »
    legoland is in denmark!

He's gonna shit a brick when he finds out he was wrong.

They knock together a decent windmill though...their dykes are deadly too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

in saying that there is a district in copenhagen where its basically turned a blind eye to smoking and stuff,has a real hippy bohemian feel to the place and keeps some of the scummers occupied over there, when the government had a crack down on this place a few years ago the crime in the city sky rocketed,literally figures kept doubling and so after much relenting they decided to go back to ways of old and turn a blind eye! so in essence we find out that smoking actually lowers crime!*

*kinda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Not enough Joe Duffy types on this thread. We need more uninformed debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

I wouldnt call it a gateway drug in terms that it will lead on to hard drugs like coke or gear. however, i have done both weed and MDMA and I seriously doubt I would have tried MDMA without first experimenting with weed.

btw, both are fookin deadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pleasureman

The whole "gateway drug" argument is a red herring.
    While it is true that the majority of those who end up using hard drugs have tried cannabis in one of its various forms; cannabis does not have any special properties which make the user crave or need other drugs.

So why is there this pattern of "soft" to "hard" drug use? Mainly for the following reasons:
    - Those who try an illegal drug in the first place have a curious/experimental nature, therefore will desire to experience many mind altering substances, generally starting with those perceived to be least harmful ie alcohol, cannabis.

-Due to its illegal nature, a person who uses cannabis will come into contact with people who supply other illegal substances, thereby increasing likelyhood of experimenting with those substances.

-In my opinion the most influencing factor to cannabis' apparent gateway effect is that..
    prior to ever having tried cannabis the overiding message/information available particularly from official and institutional sources is that (illegal)drugs are DRUGS, all bad, and all if used will almost definitely lead to ruination of character, health, sanity and life.
    What happens when an experimental minded person tries cannabis is that they find this official message to be blatantly untrue (in the vast majority of cases, of course there are exceptions). Which leads to a suspicion that perhaps this message is only propaganda (which essentially it is!) resulting in the assumption that it may well be untrue for other illegal substances, resulting in further experimentation.

Education of the true effects rather than only telling our youth the worst that can possibly happen is the best possible way to eliminate this pseudo gateway effect that the RELATIVELY harmless drug cannabis has on the general user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

The whole "gateway drug" argument is a red herring.

It's not a red herring. It's a cod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Some stoner puts this stuff out.

And people get worked up.

Weedheads never contribute to anything much, except to the HSE bill.

Rooooight maaaaan.

Rooooight maaaaan.

Ten heavy cannabis users. (non tobacco mixers)
    Ten heavy alcohol users.
    Who adds more to the HSE bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J10w3FuCwfQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Rooooight maaaaan.

You may be interested to know that Medical Marijuana is prescribed for digestive tract problems, constipation, diarrhea and IBS, amongst other things.

It may help with the scutters you've been having.

King Felix wrote: »
    It's not a red herring. It's a cod.
    I like it.. That was clever.

Hmmmm,
    What do you mean by a Weedhead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hmmmm,
    What do you mean by a Weedhead?

I assume they were watching Garth Marenghi's Darkplace recently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement