Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallic inks

Options
  • 03-09-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I was designing a CD cover a few days ago, and I came across the Pantone colour thing. I'm totally self-taught with the whole Photoshop thing, and I'd never had reason to use Pantone colours until then. Either way, I noticed a category of Pantone metallic ink. So I suppose I have a few questions about it:

1./ Does the metallic ink actually look good?
    2./ Are there any special requirements for using it?
    3./ Would it be the kinda thing any printer could do?
    4./ Does it cost much extra to use?

Thanks for your help! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I was designing a CD cover a few days ago, and I came across the Pantone colour thing. I'm totally self-taught with the whole Photoshop thing, and I'd never had reason to use Pantone colours until then. Either way, I noticed a category of Pantone metallic ink. So I suppose I have a few questions about it:

1./ Does the metallic ink actually look good?
    2./ Are there any special requirements for using it?
    3./ Would it be the kinda thing any printer could do?
    4./ Does it cost much extra to use?

Thanks for your help! :-)

1. - depends on the colour, and what you're printing it over. Ensure the artwork using the metallic ink is set to 'knock out' anything behind.

2. Nope. But please be aware that usually a print job is 4 colours (CMYK) if you're doing a full colour + metallic, that will be a 5 colour print job, so ensure NOT to export the resulting PDF converting spots to 4 colours.

3. Most printers will print metallic as a separate spot colour no problem. Talk to your printer first about your requirements.

4. Not all that much more than a 4 colour job. Depends on quantity used, number of prints etc etc. Once again, ask the printer.

You really should probably be using InDesign for that sort of work though, it makes doing that sort of job a HELL of a lot easier.

Oh, don't try gradiate(sp?) the metallic into another colour - it might look great on screen, but in my experience always prints crap.

Also you can really create the metallic colour in ANY spot colour you like on screen, then simply tell the printer that the spot plate is to be metallic whatever. But if you want to use a pantone so you get a feel for it on screen, go for it.

To add to that, ensure the spot ink is on a different / its own layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

Cheers for that bro! I just got my hands on InDesign, I just gotta figure out how to use it. :-)

Advertisement