Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Racing:Saturday 4th And Sunday 5th Of September

Options
  • 03-09-2010 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭

Thought that I'd start a thread for the racing this weekend as it is so fantastic. Both Leopardstown,Kempton and Haydock have group races tomorrow.
    Some tricky races to call but anyone with any tips/views on the racing can post here.
    Looking at the Sprint at Haydock,just saw there that it'll be Colm O'Donoghue on Starspangledbanner. In my opinion the best horse in the field,and although O'Donoghue is a good jockey,I'd be much more confident if Johnny was on him.
    Another thing,why have they scheduled the racing like this? Why couldn't they have the Champion Stakes card from Leopardstown tomorrow on Sunday,the day the big Irish races are usually on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

Wouldnt worry about Colm O'Donoghue on Starspangledbanner he's rides him out everyday in Ballydoyle and arguably knows the horse better then Johnny. Rip Van Winkle is the closest thing to a racing cert tomorrow imo. Big double on these two horse from me pays a little over 3/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm thinking of the double too. The last 5 favourites have one the Champion Stakes,it's being dominated by Oxx and O'Brien. The Group 3 on the card tomorrow is arguably the hardest to pick. Weld's French recruit could be anything,along with the Stack horse and Await the Dawn is totally unexposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Can't really find anything myself. Starspangled and Rip are sound choices but the money that needs to be put down to make them pay is not there for me at the moment. I'll be scouring for some value tips tonite maybe or if I head out I'll try chat to some knowing heads.

Cityscape in the first at Haydock could represent value if it goes off at it's predicted SP of around 6/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

Special in pp shops tonight rip and star 4/1 double !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Already taken 16/1 on Markab in the Sprint. Gonna have a closer look at the rest later.

Straight Forecast Rip & Twice Over could be worth a shilling.

EDIT:
    Actually, Twice Over each-way @ 4/1 is a shot to nothing imo. He's not been out of the top two in his last 6 starts in Britain. Wouldn't go mental with the stake though

I agree,I know Rip had him there a few weeks ago,but Twice Over is not a horse to write off too easily,I think I might just skip that race in terms of betting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Think I'll stay clear of that race. Like the look of Rock Critic in the 5.35 Leopardstown. Will deffo be putting something on him.

As for the rest, I'm looking over them while trying to shake off a hell of a hangover :(

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Timeform 1-2-3:
    1. Cityscape 2. Secrecy 3. Awzaan

Timeform View:
    All eyes will be on Awzaan returning from 4 months off and he could blitz these if returning to his winning 2-y-o Group 1 form. There must be a few doubts over him, though, and at a price it could be worth taking a chance on another returning from a break in Cityscape, who leaves the impression of not having peaked yet. Secrecy and Desert Myth are obvious dangers.

great picking from timeform F/c 15.91

Timeform 1-2-3: 2.10 Leopardstown
    1. Await The Dawn (USA) 2. South Easter (IRE) 3. Nanton (USA)

Timeform View:
    Await The Dawn is still very much on the up and he is taken to make his return to group company a winning one in what is admittedly a tight contest. British-raiders Nanton and South Easter look the most solid each-way alternatives.

Another good pick

• Advertisement

Spot on there. Was on Cityscape myself,happy days.

Timeform 1-2-3:
    1. Markab 2. Starspangledbanner (AUS) 3. Genki (IRE)

Timeform View:
    Starspangledbanner already has strong claim to be champion sprinter, but he's not unbeatable, as has been proved twice at York. This course and distance will be more up his street, but at this stage of the season, after his series of big efforts, it could pay to take him on with the fresher Markab, who is hard to peg back once rolling. The surprise package may be Genki.

big 12/1 winner

Good days racing in the end. Never realised Cape Blanco was a gelding,anyone know when he was gelded?

Theres absolutely no way on earth he is a gelding.

A) He couldn't have been considered for Epsom if he was

B) After he Irish Derby win they would never in their right mind geld him

Where did you hear that?

Also the Prix du Jockey Club is only open to colts too.

They said it on rte. Must have been a mistake.

Wow. RTE have to employ better staff!

Cos I went searching after it but couldn't find anything on it,I just assumed it to be correct,but strange that Coolmore would castrate a horse as good as he. I thought maybe he was gelded before his first run or something.

Advertisement