Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting in cork

Options
  • 03-09-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

hi im looking at renting in cork city.
    what is Gurranebraher/ Cathedral road and surrounding areas like?
    is it quiet?/ safe? does it have a decent reputation?

Comments

Good and bad everywhere, some areas near where you mention do have higher levels of anti social behaviour than one would like. Have a spin up Cathedral Road, turn right before the top of it and have a wander around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Cathedral Road is a corportation estate ( an old one) handy enough for walking into town and there are a number of bus stops along the road. It is fine to live there but the area had ( past tense) a rough name years ago. I have done work in a few houses along there the people are lovely. Salt of the earth is how would describe most of them . There is a lot of traffic on the road as it is the main drag up to Knocknaheeny . I would live there my self no problem. There are some nice estates off Cathedral Road & around Gurranabraher with less traffic on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Very residential/family place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

if you are renting a place up there make sure it is in off the road, i lived in a house up there and it was a nightmare to be honest, plenty of shouting, fights in the street, glass bottles being smashed outside our front door, car broken into outside the house,
    im sure there are places that are fine, but i wasnt in one off them

on the plus side it is handy to walk to town,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 GreenTech

Living in Cork a few years now and renting. Some decent areas for renting would probably be a little out of the city,wilton, bishopstown, jacobs island. Its not only the anti social behavior in the city centre that would put me off because there are some really nice areas, but the standard of apartments and houses. If you want a modern clean apartment/house in the city centre you will pay for it! The reasonably priced places tend to be old and badly maintained in my opinion. Not all of them, but quite a high number!

Places like Wilton, Bishopstown, Jacobs Island etc. have modern apartments at the same price as the old apartments in town and they are all serviced by bus routes if you don't drive. If you're not a student avoid college road and surrounding areas as the student life will interupt your sleep midweek... on the other hand if you are a student you may enjoy it...haha.

Good luck with finding a place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Depends on your circumstances. Do you have kids ?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Is this convenient to where you're going to be working/studying?

Advertisement