Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused with the modules and electives?

Options
  • 03-09-2010 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

It says I have:

Credit Information
    ............................Req'd........Earned.......Reg 10/11
    Stage 1 Core/Opt......50..............0...............60
    Stage 1 Elective........10.............0................0

Semester Breakdown
    .................Registered
    Sem 1..............35
    Sem 2..............25
    Total................60

I think its only meant to be 50 credits but I was automatically given 50credits because the modules were chosen for me :confused: .. So I just added 2 modules myself? Is that okay? Im so lost haha

I am doing computer science btw!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

It says something similar for me too! The required says 50 and the registered says 55 (One of my electives is provisional, I'd say if I get it, it'll go to 60) and then says 0 for the electives even though I've registered for 2. I think its grand.

My semester breakdown is 30 and 30 though, you doing 7 modules in semester 1 then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

Mine breaks down into 35 and 25!
    Im only doing modules now! Is it 7 that we have to choose? :confused:
    What section did u choose ur modules from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

MariaBabii wrote: »
    Mine breaks down into 35 and 25!
    Im only doing modules now! Is it 7 that we have to choose? :confused:
    What section did u choose ur modules from ?

I'm doing Physics with Astro so it's probably different for you and me. I had a list of science-ey modules under my core and option modules (Which totalled 9 modules). So I picked 1 from there and then 2 electives. Theres a Comp Sci thread where people are going through registration so that'll be probably be more help to you:)

Heres the CS thread

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

MariaBabii wrote: »
    It says I have:

Credit Information
    ............................Req'd........Earned.......Reg 10/11
    Stage 1 Core/Opt......50..............0...............60
    Stage 1 Elective........10.............0................0

Semester Breakdown
    .................Registered
    Sem 1..............35
    Sem 2..............25
    Total................60

I think its only meant to be 50 credits but I was automatically given 50credits because the modules were chosen for me :confused: .. So I just added 2 modules myself? Is that okay? Im so lost haha

I am doing computer science btw!

:)
    Yeah its fine. 50credits for core/optional subjects. Then you do electives for 10 credits.Just make sure everything on the right side is in green not red. Looks like your doing 7 modules in the first semester. I normally like to try and get a even split. As you might find first semester a bit more work. But thats your choice and least you will have a easier second semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

I'm the same Maria, 'tis all good I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

when it comes to credits, say you require 90, do you have to do exactly 90, or can you take on 100? and if you take on 100 and later fail/drop 5 or 10, does it not matter because you still have 90, or do you have to repeat them?
    thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

when it comes to credits, say you require 90, do you have to do exactly 90, or can you take on 100? and if you take on 100 and later fail/drop 5 or 10, does it not matter because you still have 90, or do you have to repeat them?
    thanks!

No, you can do 92.5 maximum in a 90 credit course. You would pay to do extra but they would not count towards GPA. They would just appear on your transcript as completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

for me it says

stage 1 core opt: required 50, registered 50, thats ok

but for stage 1 electives: required 10, registered 0??? But im registered to 2 spanish electives, both at 5! I was just thinking that maybe those electives were in stage 2 but it says "all weeks" for them in my calender, and you only need 10 for the year anyway.....

And I have 35 creds for sem 1 and 25 for sem 2, wish it was the other way around so i could have a bit less hassle in the first sem, but ah well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

muffinz wrote: »
    for me it says

stage 1 core opt: required 50, registered 50, thats ok

but for stage 1 electives: required 10, registered 0??? But im registered to 2 spanish electives, both at 5! I was just thinking that maybe those electives were in stage 2 but it says "all weeks" for them in my calender, and you only need 10 for the year anyway.....

And I have 35 creds for sem 1 and 25 for sem 2, wish it was the other way around so i could have a bit less hassle in the first sem, but ah well!

Your electives are still only provisional so do not appear for you yet as credits. Elective places are not guaranteed when you select them, it is a lottery to determine who gets into the places in electives that are over subscribed. If they are under subscribed, you will definitely get in.

Advertisement