Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog is going in to be spayed. Info needed.

Options
  • 03-09-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

My eleven and a half month old Cavalier King Charles female is going in to the vets to get spayed on monday morning. I am just wondering will I need to get somebody with a car to go with me to pick her up when I need to pick her up when she is ready to be brought home. Also how long will she have to wear the light shade.

I know some people think she should have been spayed months ago , but as soon as she finished being in heat two months ago I put my name on a waiting list for dogs trust to get her spayed. Its only today the Vets called me to let me know I can bring her in on monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

11.5 months isn't that long to have waited Steve, the important thing is that you're getting it done. :)

Unfortunately yes your dog will be too tired and sore to walk any kind of distance after her operation, so you will need to sort out a way to get her home. The vet should give you advice on how to look after her, generally it's just a matter of keeping her comfortable and preventing her from exerting herself too much for about a week or so (or until the stitches are removed).

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

Hi steve30 x like seamus said you will need a car to pick her up,she will be sore and abit groggy afterwards prob until the next day...the lampshade stays on for roughly 7/10 days depending on the healing...vet will answer any questions for you ...good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Thank you. I will ask my mother to go with me to pick her up on monday. I dont have a car of my own.

The first thing I wanted to do when I got her was to get her spayed but found out that it was 125 euro up depending on the vet. Its hard to get that much money together. During the time she was in heat my neighbour told me that I can get it done under dogs trust for 20 euro so as soon as she was out of heat I put my name in for getting spayed with dogs trust.

I am getting this done for her health and so I wont have to lock her in the house for a month when she is in heat. I felt very sorry for her when she was in heat because I couldnt bring her for walks.

[EDIT] My mother will drive me to the vets to pick her up when she is ready to go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Steve30x wrote: »
    Thank you. I will ask my mother to go with me to pick her up on monday. I dont have a car of my own.

The first thing I wanted to do when I got her was to get her spayed but found out that it was 125 euro up depending on the vet. Its hard to get that much money together. During the time she was in heat my neighbour told me that I can get it done under dogs trust for 20 euro so as soon as she was out of heat I put my name in for getting spayed with dogs trust.

I am getting this done for her health and so I wont have to lock her in the house for a month when she is in heat. I felt very sorry for her when she was in heat because I couldnt bring her for walks.

[EDIT] My mother will drive me to the vets to pick her up when she is ready to go home.
    that is a shocking price
    i paid 80 two months ago for my little girl,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

goat2 wrote: »
    that is a shocking price
    It can vary hugely unfortunately.

Main thing to watch out for is post op infection. Also need to give the poor thing a lot of love and artention as its very very traumatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would agree with giving affection but in my experience a Spay is not traumatic. Mine was up on her feet quickly & was ready for a gentle walk the next morning. Within a few days it was a case of stopping her from charging around - the wound clearly wasn't troubling her.

Spay costs depend on the size of dog. I paid 150.

goat2 wrote: »
    that is a shocking price

Yup the two vets here in Dungarvan was 125 euro and 135 euro. In Youghal it wasnt any cheaper.
    It can vary hugely unfortunately.

Main thing to watch out for is post op infection. Also need to give the poor thing a lot of love and artention as its very very traumatic.

She gets lots of love all of the time and she will get plenty of love when she gets home too. She is very special to me and I would be lost without her.
    Discodog wrote: »
    I would agree with giving affection but in my experience a Spay is not traumatic. Mine was up on her feet quickly & was ready for a gentle walk the next morning. Within a few days it was a case of stopping her from charging around - the wound clearly wasn't troubling her.

Spay costs depend on the size of dog. I paid 150.

Bonny is like a wound up toy all the time. I dont know any other dog as hyper as her.

She seems to be small dog for her breed in my opinion. She is smaller than a normal sized jack russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

When I got my three spayed, I dropped them off at 8.30am and they told me to call around 3pm to see if they were ready to go home. I rang after 2pm because I couldn't wait any longer and they said to come get them. Apparently, they'd woken up after the procedure and were full of beans and being very vocal. Not aggressive, just "HEY YOU! YES YOU! LOOK AT ME! NO, LOOK AT ME! ME! MEMEMEMEMEMEMEME!!!" They told me not to let them do anything that might stretch their stitches and they had those collars on them.

Well, let me tell you that if I were expecting a quiet evening of it, never mind a couple of days, I was sadly mistaken. I let them out the garden to do their business when they got home and two of them decided to do a chase game. I was freaking that they'd do something to hurt themselves. Then one of the them decided that he wasn't happy with the collar and pulled it off himself and chewed it that evening, in between naps. So we had to take it off. But then he wanted to play with the others and they were at an unfair advantage so we took the collars off them. The vet said it was okay when we rang so long as they left their stitches alone and they did. Now, they slept well that night but they were by no means groggy and the next day you'd think nothing had happened to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

As the others have said it can vary how alert they are. The vet will probably give a long lasting pain killer, which lasts a few days and give you some instructions on care, keeping wound dry and clean etc. One thing my vet suggested was to give my girl some scrambled egg, and watch for poops, just so you know everything is working fine. She loved the scrambled egg(had a tiny bit the evening she got home and some for breakie next day) and all worked fine.
    Jumping is the thing to watch out for, so any big step at the door or anything should be avoided, my daughter made a step for the back door as the drop is quite big.
    Other than that they recover pretty well, and are back to normal in no time.

Just to add, my dog had no lamp shade, she never went near the stitches, vet said only used if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Also how long will she have to wear the light shade.

Just so you know, the light shade is only used if needed. She'll probably be sent home without one, and you need to keep an eye on her that she isn't at the wound.
    Got our lab spayed earlier in the year, and very happy with the treatment she got (I'm in Dungarvan too).

• Advertisement

Thank you for the info everybody. It looks like it will be raining tomorrow so I will need to get a lift to the vets anyway.

I just picked up bonny a half hour ago. She got the light shade off real fast so I tied it to her collar so she cant get it off again. Poor thing is crying a little. I think she is in pain. She is also very disorientated.

She keeps struggling to get the Lamp Shade off too. I know its not too tight because I can get two fingers under it around her neck and I can get two fingers under her coller. I can move the Lamp Shade and collar up and down on her neck also so theyre not too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I just picked up bonny a half hour ago. She got the light shade off real fast so I tied it to her collar so she cant get it off again. Poor thing is crying a little. I think she is in pain. She is also very disorientated.

She keeps struggling to get the Lamp Shade off too. I know its not too tight because I can get two fingers under it around her neck and I can get two fingers under her coller. I can move the Lamp Shade and collar up and down on her neck also so theyre not too tight.

My Chihuahua was freaking out with the lamp shade on as she can be quiet nervous so I used her coat she wears in winter and just put it on the wrong way around ie. the strap part over her back and the cloth part covering her stomach ( and wound ), worked a treat for me and didn't cause Cleo any distress as she is used to wearing her coat, just not that way around :)

I would try taking off the lampshade for a while, see how she gets on. They are only needed if the dog goes at the stitches. I know my dog would have been really upset with a lampshade. Another thing you can use is the sleeve off an old sweatshirt (cut off cuff and cut to length), easiest to put on from the rear end. I used one (vets suggested it) when my girl was spayed as it snowed just after and she wouldn't go out as it was cold on her shaved belly.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

lrushe wrote: »
    My Chihuahua was freaking out with the lamp shade on as she can be quiet nervous so I used her coat she wears in winter and just put it on the wrong way around ie. the strap part over her back and the cloth part covering her stomach ( and wound ), worked a treat for me and didn't cause Cleo any distress as she is used to wearing her coat, just not that way around :)

Keep up the alternatives to a lampshade. One of my girls will be having surgery & the shade will be the worst bit !.

My bonny seems to be in pain here. She just let off a screech just now. Is this normal?

If she moved suddenly, then she might have just gotten a little bit of pain. Did the vet give you any painkillers?

Nope. The vet didnt give me any painkillers. I just got the Lamp Shade and I will get 10 euro back from the 30 I paid in 10 days when I return the Lamp Shade. Shes crying a bit every time she wakes up.

Ah for feck's sake. :(

Your vet may be open till 10pm, try giving them a buzz and asking for advice, I assume they're one of the ones listed here:
    http://www.waterfordcoco.ie/en/services/environment/veterinaryservices/subsidiseddogneuteringcampaign/

Don't give her aspirin, panadol, solpadeine or anything like that.

Riverside is the Vets she was at and they close at 5:30. She isnt crying anymore but she isnt eating or drinking anything either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Riverside is the Vets she was at and they close at 5:30. She isnt crying anymore but she isnt eating or drinking anything either.

Dont worry too much about her not eating and drinking as when they are in some pain or discomfort they dont be in the mood for doing either really. Just keep her as comfy as possible and dont fuss too much. Just let her sleep and rest and if shes not improving then give the vet a call again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

My vets always give a painkilling injection on the day of the spay, and then tablets for the following days if needed. So I wouldn't expect to have any tablets for today.

She's had a major operation, she's bound to be sore and off her food, what have you tried her with tonight, food wise? She should just have something light, a bit of chicken and rice, something like that.

At the moment she is in her bed. I put her two cushions in there to make sure its as soft and comfortable as possible for her and I have her covered with a towel doubled over twice.

I have tried her with her own dog food and a bit of chicken but she wasnt interested.

My pup didn't do much except sleep the evening I picked her up, she ate about a teaspoon of scrambled egg(vet recommended), had a small drink and slept.
    Try to make sure she's warm and out of any draughts, and comfortable.
    My vet gives a long lasting pain injection(lasts 5days or so) so I didn't get any pills either, but he did tell me all about what he'd done, and how to care for her(keep wound dry and clean, stop her from jumping or pulling at stitches), and to bring her back if she seemed sore in a few days.
    I hope she's settled more now, they can be a bit disorientated after the anesthetic.

She will probably sleep until morning, then want some food, just don't give too much at a time.

SHe was up and about a few minutes ago and she eat some food and went to the toilet. She is asleep again now though.

Hope she's feeling a bit better this morning.
    Poor things, when mine was done it was like having a sick baby:( Those eyes can really make you feel guilty.
    The good news is the do recover very quickly and before you know it you'll be trying to stop her leaping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

we have two new puppies george and mildred,and arelooking to get the jobs done on them later,could i get them done on this dogs trust and what does it entail.

mymo wrote: »
    Hope she's feeling a bit better this morning.
    Poor things, when mine was done it was like having a sick baby:( Those eyes can really make you feel guilty.
    The good news is the do recover very quickly and before you know it you'll be trying to stop her leaping around.

She is much better this morning. She is sleeping like a baby right now. She jumped on the couch earlier so I blocked off my sitting room and bedroom so she has nothing to jump on.

She keeps whinging because she doesnt like the light shade on her though. I took it off for a few minutes until she was about to go at the stitches so the lamp shade will have to stay put until thursday week.
    tipptom wrote: »
    we have two new puppies george and mildred,and arelooking to get the jobs done on them later,could i get them done on this dogs trust and what does it entail.

You will need to go to your local vet that can do it through dogs thrust and apply to be put on a waiting list to get the dogs done. I was waiting for two months to get called in. Also you need to be unemployed and you need to give your PPS number when they are done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Ah the poor little thingeen.

We got our dog neutered there a few months ago and although I know its a much more severe operation for females, he didnt have a light shade at all and he was fine.

I would say you should take it off while you are there at home and able to watch her. She might lick at it (my fella kept licking his) but he didnt do any harm to himself otherwise.

I ahve heard the light shade thing makes them very unsettled and traumatised.

Id say she will be abck to herself in 2-3 days, and she will soon forget all about it!

• Advertisement

She is almost back to herself already. She isnt as hyper though , but I am sure she willbe like a wound up toy again in a few days. Ive taken off the Light Shade too and she seems to be leaving the wound alone.

Advertisement