Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog is going in to be spayed. Info needed.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 babydollbabe

after being neuterd she shouldn be as hyper..thats one of the benefits of the operation

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

You would love to think that but she is back to being a hyper little dog just like she was before she got neutered. She is still like a wound up toy just a few days after the operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I have to say having the op made no difference to my little Jack in terms of being hyper she's still mad. I believe it only calms down dogs not bitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 babydollbabe

i have a jack russell bitch and it calmed her down a bit..she loves being held and cuddled now : ) ye its known to work better on dogs

Bonny is only after getting more hyper than before and she seems to be more teritorial now. Before the operation she was asleep almost all day. Now she is up and about like a wound up toy for about four hours in the evining. She is'nt any different on a walk though. She is still very dosile on a walk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Yeah the small thing has happened our dog. He used to be very docile and quiet but now he has gotten very territorial. Barking at passers by, running after cars barking etc. Its awful.

Also he pulls the clothes off the washing line and chews stuff eg my sons bike saddle!

Any advice on how to stop this?

The only thing I can think of is try and to train him to have some patience and try to show him who is boss without being overbearing.

From the beginning I trained bonny with treats by holding a treat in my hand and if she tried to take it I pulled it away until eventually she waited for me to give it to her. When she could take the treat I said "there you go" and she took the treat. From there I trained her to sit on command and then combined sit with the treat trick. Now when she gets out of control I just tell her to shush while looking at her and she sits down and looks at me. When she calms down enough I throw her favourite toy.

This helps with the dog being territorial because you can calm the dog down by getting the dog to sit and the dog knows you are the one in control. Bonny might have gotten more Hyper but when I get her to sit she will calm down a good bit and continue to play and she will eventually sit on the couch quietly and watch the TV. If she starts barking for no good reason I will quieten her down by saying "HEY!" and the sudden "HEY!" will catch her attention and she stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Martinobrien

Hi,now that your dog is spayed,make sure she gets plenty of exercise,and a controled diet,most dogs that are spayed tend to put on a little extra weight as they get older....

Martin.

She will get walked every day and I have a 100G bowl for her food . She will never get more food than she needs. I dont want her to turn out like my mothers fat pom shich is very overweight and my n eihbours dog who is 13 months old got fat after being spayed.

I just dont want to walk her too much yet until she has the stitches out on thrsday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Steve30x wrote: »
    Bonny is only after getting more hyper than before and she seems to be more teritorial now. Before the operation she was asleep almost all day. Now she is up and about like a wound up toy for about four hours in the evining. She is'nt any different on a walk though. She is still very dosile on a walk.

She still has her stitches in, so as you are being careful with her exercise, she will obviously have more energy than before, she's not using her energy up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement