Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical Card

• 03-09-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭

I am applying for a medical card.

I need to get contact lenses and a chipped tooth fixed. Will this be covered under the medical card?

Where can I find out what dental procedures are covered by the medical card?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

when i went ot get contacts they were not covered on my card,and my medical covered my dentist but go to ur local dentist and ask first

just got a tooth pulled yesterday with the medical card and getting a filling done with it next week. making the most of it before the end of the month before it expires! don't think i'll be issued with another one :mad:

a simple tooth to be pulled costs alot doesnt it , all they are doing is numbing your gum then reaffing it out with a plyers :P

A V A wrote: »
    a simple tooth to be pulled costs alot doesnt it , all they are doing is numbing your gum then reaffing it out with a plyers :P

I haven't a clue how much its costs, it was a gift from the government! :D That was more or less it, quick jab of a needle and 5 mins later out with the pliers. Literally took 5 mins to pull it tho, was told the shaaane family have very stubborn roots! :D

HHAHAHA people go on about how geting a tooth pulled hurts , , , didnt hurt me one bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I thought all dental except emergencies were gone since 1st April. And for optical services, there is a long waiting list in most HSE areas.

I thought all dental except emergencies were gone since 1st April. And for optical services, there is a long waiting list in most HSE areas.

So did I! I was wrong and didn't complain. Maybe they thought it was an emergency due to the state of my teeth. :D

really there gone?????i got my teet done in may and nothing was charged but i go down when i really need to , dont do check up :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

really there gone?????i got my teet done in may and nothing was charged but i go down when i really need to , dont do check up :P

i think you can only get 2 fillings a year and they will only pull them out if they are rotten, no more cleaning can be done thats gone also

gustafo wrote: »
    i think you can only get 2 fillings a year and they will only pull them out if they are rotten, no more cleaning can be done thats gone also

really ???? what else do we pay for i didnt know this

how much would a filling be ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

really ???? what else do we pay for i didnt know this

how much would a filling be ??

you will have to pay for any extra treatment other than the 2

The price of fillings vary's all depends how much of it needs to be filled, expect to pay anything between 70-150 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭mary55

I have been going to the dentist for the last few months and have had about 6 fillings done and cleaning done. I have the medical card and was not charged anything at all so maybe some dentists are still doing it for free under the medical card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭quiz

i heard there is about a 13 week waiting list for the medical card when applying online. if i get dental work done in the period between applying and recieving the medical card can i reclaim the expenses? if i get a job after dental work but before getting medical card can i reclaim expenses? part of the application is getting a letter from doctor. do they charge for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭quiz

i heard there is about a 13 week waiting list for the medical card when applying online. if i get dental work done in the period between applying and recieving the medical card can i reclaim the expenses? if i get a job after dental work but before getting medical card can i reclaim expenses? part of the application is getting a letter from doctor. do they charge for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wolfgang123

I got a medical card last week after applying online and it only took 2 weeks to get it.

Can anyone recommend any dentists who accept a medical card? Preferably on the Northside of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Quiz,
    No, No, Yes.
    You cannot obtain dental treatment under med card until you have the med card, unless possibly from the health board dentists themselves. Until you recieve a med card you are a private patient so will have to pay for the Doctor, you may not qualify for a med card so the GP/dentist will charge for any treatment you recieve prior to qualification, there is no reclaim protocol.

Advertisement