Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old House Renovation?

Options
  • 03-09-2010 5:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Two years ago my parents inherited my fathers homeplace and farm. The old farmhouse has not been lived in since 2004. We have come to the conclusion to completely renovate it. It is a stone dwelling built around the 1890's. My family have lived there since the 1860's and the old house has a lot of sentimental history attached and when my late grandmother moved out to the nursing home it was the first time in over 140 years the house was vacant.

The house itself really needs gutting and it would be a big task and I am wondering has anyone here done anything similar? While it is a large farmhouse I would also extend it.

I am wondering what sort of prices would a renovation like this cost? And are there any grants available for renovations or green energy which I'd like to incorporate too.

Very early days yet but in a year or two I can see the house being like new. Costs are not really a huge problem but still the need to minimise them would be important, ie. not to waste money on bad building practices or outdated technology. I don't mind paying once the work is top quality and best materials and methods are used.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Gillian1

Hi guys,

I'm new to this site and was looking for some advise. Myself and my husband are looking at an old ex corporation house 1930's approx, it needs complete gutting. its 700sq feet terraced 2up 2down type. we would need rewire and fuse board 3 double sockets for sitting room another 3 for kitchen 2 for main bedroom and 1 for spare room also also tv points and have it wired ready for alarm. also the plumbing needs redoing and external walls possibly drylined very little wall front and back and possibly attic insulated, houes needs replastering and gas central heating needs to be installed with 5/6 rads, new windows the 4 existing replaced and a new one knocked in where we will put bathroom (very thick concrete in outside walls) fire place in bedroom taking out and sealed up,divider wall put in spare bedroom (not supporting wall) its to fit a bathroom in up stairs and knock a door onto landing also new bathroom fittings elec shower etc nothing and tiling average bathroom equipment doesnt need to be mad fancy! divider wall between kitchen and sitting room moved (not supporting) wall downstairs toilet taken out and wall removed to make kitchen an ok size and new doors and frames inside 6 in total incl under stairs storage door and new front and back door. how much are we looking at? forget about kitchen and flooring for time being as we have a carpenter just looking for prize for major work wondering is it worth it!
    thanks for help in advance!

Advertisement