Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Gary Twigg good enough to play in the Premier League?

• 03-09-2010 6:05pm

One of those what it says on the tin threads. Would you rate Gary Twiig highly enough to play at a higher level than the League of Ireland? And if not what facets of his game would have to improve for him to be capable of playing at such level? I rate him highly enough to see him capable of playing at Blackpool at least, sure look at Marlon Harewood.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

He wouldn't be of the standard to play in the Premiership even with Blackpool I think. Blackpool will the like the Hull of a few years ago. I reckon he would do quite well in Championship football though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If he was good enough he would be simple as that tbh, Leeds were looking at him a while ago.

Players dont get suck in lower leagues if they good enough, clubs buy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He would struggle in the SPL, never mind the EPL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

NO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dempsey wrote: »
    He would struggle in the SPL, never mind the EPL
    He struggled with Brechin City before going to Rovers

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

No but under-Premier League standard players sneak in there. Look at Colin Healy. Wasn't good for Cork City not to mention Sunderland.

He's one of the most prolific strikers the leagues ever had though, he's a better all round player than Crowe and Jayo (arguable) and he's scored wherever he's gone, I think he'd be well worth a punt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He's one of the most prolific strikers the leagues ever had though, he's a better all round player than Crowe and Jayo (arguable) and he's scored wherever he's gone, I think he'd be well worth a punt.

Meh, he had a good season last year. Jason Byrne in his day was well more prolific.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

He struggled in the scottish lower divisions.

So no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

No he didn't.

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    No he didn't.

In fairness you were always going to say that with your username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is one of those threads you just definitely shouldn't post in if you don't watch League Of Ireland football.

I do, and my answer is no he isn't. Probably not even the best equipped for that jump in standard at Rovers. Could imagine the likes of Chambers faring much better.

Doyler92 wrote: »

Why, it's SRFC not BCFC! And mainly because he didn't, what makes you think he did then?

FWIW i don't think he's good enough for the PL, maybe get by in a bottom half table team but would reckon he'd do all right in the Championship.

How exactly did Twigg struggle at Brechin City?

Why, it's SRFC not BCFC! And mainly because he didn't, what makes you think he did then?

FWIW i don't think he's good enough for the PL, maybe get by in a bottom half table team but would reckon he'd do all right in the Championship.

SRFC is Shamrock Rovers right?

And there you just agreed with me.

SRFC is Shamrock Rovers right?

And there you just agreed with me.

Yes it is, but that doesn't mean I'd suddenly disagree with someone saying he struggled with a previous club! You didn't answer my question either.

How did i just agree with you btw?! You're really confusing me here.

Yes it is, but that doesn't mean I'd suddenly disagree with someone saying he struggled with a previous club! You didn't answer my question either.

How did i just agree with you btw?! You're really confusing me here.

Yes you have me confused also. What was your question?

You just agreed with me as I said he'd be good with a Championship side.

We will just leave it at that.

Yes you have me confused also. What was your question?

You just agreed with me as I said he'd be good with a Championship side.

We will just leave it at that.

Sorry, was confusing you with the original poster of the 'struggled with Brechin' statement, my question though was what makes you think he struggled there?

How exactly did Twigg struggle at Brechin City?

They sent him on trial with St pats while he was there, guess we can assume something wasnt right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard Noggin

He is definitely not good enough.

Sorry, was confusing you with the original poster of the 'struggled with Brechin' statement, my question though was what makes you think he struggled there?

I never said he struggled with Brechin. I don't even know who that team is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

He actually did play in the PL as a sub a few times with Derby in his salad days. He is definitely not able to play now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

couldnt disagree more with this. glen crowe in his day was a much better striker and finisher!! jayo byrne would be another player id rate higher than twigg back in the day.
    i dont agree that twigg struggled with brechin as he was one of their top players and id say he would make a living in the spl.fitness would be a huge disadvantage for him in england just look at byrne for example with cardifff he struggled with his fitness over there and couldnt get a look in(although competition was fierce) id think twigg would fall into this bracket aswell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Gary Twigg could beat Utd on his own...or maybe with Ricer in to help him. Definitely Chelsea on his own though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

no hes nowhere good enough i think hes a good finisher but thats about it i dont rate any other part of his game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

He already has. 9 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Ah no, he is a long way off Premier league standard. He might do a job at a lower championship side or at any SPL team apart from Celtic/Rangers but he is never a premier league player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I expect the usual c*ntology to begin within no more than another page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He will forever suffer from the lack of worth that stems from not being involved in the EPL. He should just kill himself now really.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    They sent him on trial with St pats while he was there, guess we can assume something wasnt right?

So what you are saying is that Brechin & Scottish 2nd Division is a higher level than St Pats & LOI? Struggled at Brechin so he moved down a level to St Pats? You taking the piss?

Its not unusual for players under contract to trial at bigger clubs/clubs in better leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

20 goals a season in LOI = about 6 in the SPL = about 2 in the EPL!

hitman79 wrote: »

better players around him would make him a better player overall so that theory is bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

hitman79 wrote: »
    Please give us the mathematical equations used to derive such a sum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I saw the title. I LOLd. I'm still LOLing. LOL!!

So what you are saying is that Brechin & Scottish 2nd Division is a higher level than St Pats & LOI? Struggled at Brechin so he moved down a level to St Pats? You taking the piss?

Its not unusual for players under contract to trial at bigger clubs/clubs in better leagues.

he didnt move, Pats said no to him (we had quigley O neill and Barker (now a cricket player :D) at the time.

JMC didnt like him and he wasnt signed.

Still dont think he is PL level.

Doyle and Fahey yeah easily PL level, but we seen that years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

he didnt move, Pats said no to him (we had quigley O neill and Barker (now a cricket player :D) at the time.

JMC didnt like him and he wasnt signed.

Still dont think he is PL level.

Doyle and Fahey yeah easily PL level, but we seen that years ago.

Anyone that says they thought Doyle was premiership level while he was playing Loi is lying.

Twigg is a cracking player, would do well in the second tier in England. I'd say about 75% of the posters in this thread have never seen him play

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    NO
    this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

CiaranC wrote: »
    Anyone that says they thought Doyle was premiership level while he was playing Loi is lying.

Twigg is a cracking player, would do well in the second tier in England. I'd say about 75% of the posters in this thread have never seen him play

Seen him play a few times and
    Like I said earlier he is lower championship or SPL ANY TEAM EXCEPT Celtic/Rangers. Bid away for him....going cheapasalways u find best LOI plsyers wo turnout like Kevin Doyle, Fahey, Coleman, Long etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Lets face it, all the good Irish league players are snapped up way before his age, the longer spent playing in the LOI the more time you are wasting, if you're good you get a transfer when you're young. Other clubs are too reluctant to pick up a player > 24 playing in a poor standard of league.

CiaranC talking tru your hoop.... there bill, it was fairly obvious to us Doyle had the touch, Wallace seen it and passed it onto Dolan who stole him from pats to cork then from cork to reading.

Seriously you can see this **** at any age, some players have the touch some dont. Twigg doesnt if he did he would be playing in england now.

Guy doesnt have it but if he did he would easily be the best US player in the world.....but hes not.

Fahey has it, oh look the boys done well.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Lets face it, all the good Irish league players are snapped up way before his age, the longer spent playing in the LOI the more time you are wasting, if you're good you get a transfer when you're young. Other clubs are too reluctant to pick up a player > 24 playing in a poor standard of league.

Stop talking ****e Fahey left LOI at 26 and scored for ireland tonight, generally i dismiss anything ever posted about football by anyone on boards.ie serious bunch of clueless muppets on here.

but seriously know what your talking about before hitting the post button otherwise you look like a complete tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Firstly, LOL at the snide comments that he struggled at Brechin. He scored 12 goals in 23 appearances before leaving for Rovers. Not bad at all.

In his first season at Rovers his partnership with Baker was a major factor in him getting all of his goals. He started this year slowly but of late he has been exceptional by LOI standards. His all around play is very good he's an intelligent footballer who is one of the top, top players that this league has to offer.

However, I doubt he'd be up to the challenge of the Premier League, not that I'd love to see him get a chance if the price was right for Rovers. If he keeps playing the way he is though, he'll be in the Championship (Or at Celtic) before too long.

As for the people saying that the LOI is devoid of talent, if you pay attention over the next few seasons you'll be hearing more and more of the likes of Paddy Madden and Enda Stevens to name but too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Stop talking ****e Fahey left LOI at 26 and scored for ireland tonight, generally i dismiss anything ever posted about football by anyone on boards.ie serious bunch of clueless muppets on here.

but seriously know what your talking about before hitting the post button otherwise you look like a complete tool.

Well you can do us all, along with yourself, a favour and begin depriving us of your oh so well educated posts! You're only harming yourself letting us clueless muppets insult your vastly superior footballing knowledge!

Yours Cluelessly,
    Complete Tool!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd say about 75% of the posters in this thread have never seen him play

This.

Analysis of his performance in the Scottish lower divisions...what next - a critique of the recent Armenian third division scores? So Hibs would not be interested in him last week...

20 goals last season cut by injury and 15 this season so far cut short by injury. Definitely one season wonder..

agree 100 percent you only have to look at some of the train wreck threads on here for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yet you still post here regularly :confused:

(And since way before 2008 as well btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

No, tbh.
    He's a very good finisher and decent in the air, but he doesn't have the all round game for the EPL, imo.

Non-Celtic/Rangers SPL and the Championship he'd be about right in, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

CiaranC talking tru your hoop.... there bill, it was fairly obvious to us Doyle had the touch, Wallace seen it and passed it onto Dolan who stole him from pats to cork then from cork to reading.

Seriously you can see this **** at any age, some players have the touch some dont. Twigg doesnt if he did he would be playing in england now.

Guy doesnt have it but if he did he would easily be the best US player in the world.....but hes not.

Fahey has it, oh look the boys done well.
    There were far better players at Cork when Doyle was there I thought.

Twigg is no Lionel Messi, but he has a brilliant head for football. He has vision, works the space well, makes runs dragging defenders out of posiition, is great in the air, is strong on the ball, a brilliant hold up man, can flick a pass or take it down and lay it back, hes class on his own up front and has a great eye for goal. All he lacks that half yard of pace and that extra bit of physicality to be a top class player.

This is the sort of stuff you see by watching a player over the course of a season or two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement