Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Gary Twigg good enough to play in the Premier League?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

It is impossible to know if a player is good enough for the Premiership until they are actually there. Look at all the top class players who have stuggled in the Premiership and then the unknowns that have thrived in it. What is certain is that he would not move straight to the Premiership from the LOI. A move to the SPL or Championship would get him the exposure were mid to lower league Premiership teams would be looking at him.

Is he good enough? Impossible to tell until he actually plays in the Premiership, it is all guesswork and assumptions until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

dreamers75 wrote: »
    he didnt move, Pats said no to him (we had quigley O neill and Barker (now a cricket player :D) at the time.

JMC didnt like him and he wasnt signed.

Still dont think he is PL level.

Doyle and Fahey yeah easily PL level, but we seen that years ago.

No he didnt move to Pats but he's now at the best LOI club and scoring plenty. He wouldnt have been signed by his former manager if he didnt believe he couldnt step up. JMC obviously didnt know what he had which isnt a surprise to me.

Twigg did not struggle at Brechin City and nobody has been able to back up their statement that he did.

Also, Twigg wouldnt make the Hibs, Dundee United or Motherwell starting line ups, arguably not Hearts or Aberdeen either for those who are saying he'd do well outside the Old Firm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

If he was good enough, he'd be there already.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

If he was good enough, he'd be there already.... :)
    This is a load of bollix, exactly what people said about Fahey when LOI fans said he was good enough to play at a higher level.

Lots of players have injury issues, personal issues and just plain bad luck in their careers and dont make it to the level they should be at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The quality of this thread was always going to go downhill when people who don't regularly follow Irish football came in (yes I am making a massive assumption, based on the fact that I've never seen said people discussing it but whatever)

There is no definitive answer to questions like this that covers categories of player. People coming in saying 'if he was good enough, he'd be there already'. Absolutely nuts statement. There are loads of players who are good enough who aren't there already in leagues all over the world. Each case should be on its own merits, and if you haven't watched Gary Twigg play at least 5-10 times you should really shut up and post in thread you're actually qualified to have an opinion on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't think he's good enough for the Premiership.

From what I've seen of him (admittedly, only two or three games), he's one of those strikers that drifts in and out of games but knows how to finish. I'd rate Jayo (in his prime, not so much anymore) as a harder worker than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think a championship club would do very well by buying him I don't know if he would be able for the epl yet to be honest I haven't seen enough of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

CiaranC wrote: »
    This is a load of bollix, exactly what people said about Fahey when LOI fans said he was good enough to play at a higher level.

Lots of players have injury issues, personal issues and just plain bad luck in their careers and dont make it to the level they should be at.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Shoulda, woulda, coulda...............

keano used to say something like this when talking about arnold town and cobh ramblers in his book ''they all could have been playing for forest if life hadnt fcuked them over somewhere down the line'' ''some players have a great mentality but little ability and some with great ability but lacking in mentality''

imo players can improve in this regard so maybe twigg in his younger days failed to be in the right frame off mind for football but it looks like the LOI is given him an extra confidence and maturity that he could give it ago again in england. keith fahey as stated is a great example of this as is brian murphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Seen twiggy play on numerous occasions..

Great finisher but no way would he make it in the EPL.

He benefits more from poor defending in our league which he wouldn't get at EPL level.

Could be a decent Championship player though.

Advertisement