Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is The U.S.A the most extreme Terrorist nation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Orange69 wrote: »
    Your location field says otherwise.. could it be that you are talking through your hole? :rolleyes:
    There, I fixed it - you happy now? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

I love to see the final desperate death throes or a defeated internet opponent.. makes me feel warm inside..

Wow you need to get out more :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

OisinT wrote: »
    US was founded on isolationism and ought to stay that way.

If they had to stay isolationist, there's a good chance we wouldn't be living under democracy in Europe right now.

Clawdeeus wrote: »
    Are you trying to be ironic by calling americans ignorant?

Nope.
    So you are on a 2 week US vacation, and posting on boards? I believe my hole comment still stands...

I love to see the final desperate death throes or a defeated internet opponent.. makes me feel warm inside..

I'm doing a bit of work here next week (not that it's any of your business) and at the moment I am drinking a beer and watching Williams and Clijsters on CBS HD and posting on boards.ie on my laptop.
    Welcome to the 21st century!

lol:rolleyes: I'm not sure what your point is? Have I ever been to the US? Yes I'm here right now... and even if I wasn't (which I am), I've been here before many times and even lived here in fact. So, what's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Clawdeeus

Nope.

Ugh. How sad for you.

Out of curiousity, what age are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I'm doing a bit of work here next week (not that it's any of your business) and at the moment I am drinking a beer and watching Williams and Clijsters on CBS HD and posting on boards.ie on my laptop.
    Welcome to the 21st century!

lol:rolleyes: I'm not sure what your point is? Have I ever been to the US? Yes I'm here right now... and even if I wasn't (which I am), I've been here before many times and even lived here in fact. So, what's your point?

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Ugh. How sad for you.

Why is that sad?

26, why what age are you? Want a play-date or something?

Ugh. How sad for you.

Ok... I'll bite. Only 17 percent of young adults in the United States could find Afghanistan on a map.

Many people in the US believe Jesus lived at the same time as dinosaurs.

18 percent of people in the US believe that Obama is a Muslim despite evidence to the contrary.

Ignorance is Power in the US... as long as the people believe what their political party says they can justify whatever they want. See: Iraq war & lack of WMDs.

Even US authors recognise that ignorance is the major problem in the US (See: the book, Why Do People Hate America? by Sardar & Davies)
    Americans are led by USA media. They don't know what their government is doing abroad, they don't know that the rest of the world is international, that most developed countries have news services that cover the whole world, critically. They are led, in a culture of patriotism and flag-waving, to believe that the only reasons for disliking American is a hatred "of freedom", or envy. The single greatest thing that they miss, that they should know, is that there is a single, greater, bigger reason for anti-USA hatred. This is exactly the same reason that lets USA citizens remain innocent of their own countries' misbehaviour: Stupidity. Closely followed by ignorance. This lets USA citizens exist with lazy unknowledgeable innocence about their own country and history, and also allows the masses in other countries become led into anti-USA hatred.

You want me to keep citing examples. You can either make a valid counterpoint (which I doubt will happen) - it's probably more likely you'd like to to keep making ad hominem attacks?

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.
    I still don't understand what your point is... or are you just trolling this thread to be like "merica, **** yeah!" over and over with no real substance?

Ok... I'll bite. Only 17 percent of young adults in the United States could find Afghanistan on a map.

18 percent of people in the US believe that Obama is a Muslim despite evidence to the contrary.

Ignorance is Power in the US... as long as the people believe what their political party says they can justify whatever they want. See: Iraq war & lack of WMDs.

Even US authors recognise that ignorance is the major problem in the US (See: the book, Why Do People Hate America? by Sardar & Davies)

You want me to keep citing examples. You can either make a valid counterpoint (which I doubt will happen) - it's probably more likely you'd like to to keep making ad hominem attacks?
    You can blame Creationists for some of those getting the historic timescales muddled up, as for their foreign policies the average American has been raised to believe that the USA is the centre of the world!

All foreign visiting heads of state are treated politely, but always as subordinates to the US officials.

• Advertisement

I still don't understand what your point is... or are you just trolling this thread to be like "merica, **** yeah!" over and over with no real substance?

I don't believe you are, or have ever been, to the US. I believe all of your points and opinions are based on assumption, biased media reporting and anti-American liberal ideology.

What work permit are your traveling under?

You can blame Creationists for some of those getting the historic timescales muddled up, as for their foreign policies the average American has been raised to believe that the USA is the centre of the world!

All foreign visiting heads of state are treated politely, but always as subordinates to the US officials.
    I'll give you this: Creationists are to blame for the "historic timescales" being muddled, but (and stolen from wikipedia - don't judge me!)
    According to a 2001 Gallup poll, about 45% of North Americans believe that "God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so." Another 37% believe that "human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God guided this process", and 14% believe that "human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no part in this process".
    Belief in creationism is inversely correlated to education; of those with postgraduate degrees, 74% accept evolution. In 1987, Newsweek reported: "By one count there are some 700 scientists with respectable academic credentials (out of a total of 480,000 U.S. earth and life scientists) who give credence to creation-science, the general theory that complex life forms did not evolve but appeared 'abruptly.'"
    A 2000 poll for People for the American Way found 70% of the United States public felt that evolution was compatible with a belief in God.
    According to a study published in Science, between 1985 and 2005 the number of adult North Americans who accept evolution declined from 45% to 40%, the number of adults who reject evolution declined from 48% to 39% and the number of people who were unsure increased from 7% to 21%. Besides the United States the study also compared data from 32 European countries, Turkey, and Japan. The only country where acceptance of evolution was lower than in the United States was Turkey (25%).

I don't believe you are, or have ever been, to the US. I believe all of your points and opinions are based on assumption, biased media reporting and anti-American liberal ideology.

What work permit are your traveling under?
    A US passport actually. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

How many countries has the USA invaded or attacked since the end of ww2?

Why do I have a feeling an american said to you that Irish society was stupid and backward, you would use that as an example of American stupidity, but obviously fail to apply the standard to yourself.

A valid counterpoint to your view that americans are stupid? I doubt it would matter, but sure Ill give some examples.

Its far and away the most technologically advanced nation on earth http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_tec_ind-economy-technology-index

Of the top 100 universities, 3/4 are in the US, - it has 5% the population. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Ranking_of_World_Universities

There are very few things one can say about america that isnt partly true, your insistence that a nations intellectual capital can be demonstrated by something as asinine as a poll about geography says much more about your own ignorance than that of american people.

I asked your age because of your blatant immarturity, thank you for giving us all another example.

Just tought it would be strange for a 14 yearr old to be so well travelled.

Thats probablly because in alot of ways, it is.

War is god's way of teaching Americans geography

A US passport actually. :o

Right.. and Im actually Barack Obama posting incognito. :rolleyes:

McDougal wrote: »
    How many countries has the USA invaded or attacked since the end of ww2?

1950-1953 Korean War
    1960-1975 Vietnam War
    1961 Bay of Pigs Invasion
    1983 Grenada
    1989 US Invasion of Panama
    1990-1991 Persian Gulf War
    1995-1996 Intervention in Bosnia and Herzegovina
    1999 – present U.S. invasion and occupation of Serbia
    2001 – present U.S. invasion and occupation of Afghanistan
    2003 – present U.S. invasion and occupation of Iraq

Although some of these were mere skirmishes, with tiny death tolls and very arguable as to if it can be descirbed as a "war"

• Advertisement

Right.. and Im actually Barack Obama posting incognito. :rolleyes:
    :wave: HI BARACK!

IMG_0310.jpg

:rolleyes:

1950-1953 Korean War
    1960-1975 Vietnam War
    1961 Bay of Pigs Invasion
    1983 Grenada
    1989 US Invasion of Panama
    1990-1991 Persian Gulf War
    1995-1996 Intervention in Bosnia and Herzegovina
    1999 – present U.S. invasion and occupation of Serbia
    2001 – present U.S. invasion and occupation of Afghanistan
    2003 – present U.S. invasion and occupation of Iraq

Although some of these were mere skirmishes, with tiny death tolls and very arguable as to if it can be descirbed as a "war"

I'm not sure the 600,000 cambodian peasants murdered in the USAF carpet bombings would agree with that

And they have been intervening in Afghanistan since 1979. They just changed the side they were backing in 2001

Why do I have a feeling an american said to you that Irish society was stupid and backward, you would use that as an example of American stupidity, but obviously fail to apply the standard to yourself.

A valid counterpoint to your view that americans are stupid? I doubt it would matter, but sure Ill give some examples.

Its far and away the most technologically advanced nation on earth http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_tec_ind-economy-technology-index

Of the top 100 universities, 3/4 are in the US, - it has 5% the population. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Ranking_of_World_Universities

There are very few things one can say about america that isnt partly true, your insistence that a nations intellectual capital can be demonstrated by something as asinine as a poll about geography says much more about your own ignorance than that of american people.

I asked your age because of your blatant immarturity, thank you for giving us all another example.

Just tought it would be strange for a 14 yearr old to be so well travelled.
    I never said that all people in the US were ignorant - I said that the main problem with the US is ignorance and that is a common view both inside and outside the US.
    How old are you btw? 15? I'm glad you have such a hard-on for the US that you cannot see its faults.

I can see that there are many problems in Ireland - especially in my profession you get to see some bad stuff... but it takes acceptance of the problem to work for a solution.
    Burying your head in the sand is not going to fix anything, and neither is having good universities (which many foreign students attend and make them have that reputation along with many well educated and intelligent US Americans).

Just wondering if you've actually ever been outside the US?

I never said that all people in the US were ignorant - I said that the main problem with the US is ignorance and that is a common view both inside and outside the US.
    How old are you btw? 15? I'm glad you have such a hard-on for the US that you cannot see its faults.

I can see that there are many problems in Ireland - especially in my profession you get to see some bad stuff... but it takes acceptance of the problem to work for a solution.
    Burying your head in the sand is not going to fix anything, and neither is having good universities (which many foreign students attend and make them have that reputation along with many well educated and intelligent US Americans).

Just wondering if you've actually ever been outside the US?

Ignorance is probably THE problem everywhere in the world.

Please stop being so childish, I mean your 26 and "I'm glad you have such a hard-on for the US that you cannot see its faults."? Grow up.

You clearly didnt understand what I wrote, maybe you should read it again, slowly this time.

I couldnt be bothered arguing with you, your clearly dogmatic.

Im Irish, I was only on holidays in the US once, Im just not so ideologically driven as to not be able to clearly see my preception bias when criticing another countries society.

I'm not sure the 600,000 cambodian peasants murdered in the USAF carpet bombings would agree with that

And they have been intervening in Afghanistan since 1979. They just changed the side they were backing in 2001

I wasnt refering to that.

I was more thinking the Bay of Pigs, which lasted about 2 days. Much more a "battle" than a war.

I wasnt refering to that.

I was more thinking the Bay of Pigs, which lasted about 2 days. Much more a "battle" than a war.

And a glorious battle it was too!

• Advertisement

And a glorious battle it was too!

Dont know much about it, but sure.

Ignorance is probably THE problem everywhere in the world.

Please stop being so childish, I mean your 26 and "I'm glad you have such a hard-on for the US that you cannot see its faults."? Grow up.

You clearly didnt understand what I wrote, maybe you should read it again, slowly this time.

I couldnt be bothered arguing with you, your clearly dogmatic.

Im Irish, I was only on holidays in the US once, Im just not so ideologically driven as to not be able to clearly see my preception bias when criticing another countries society.
    I needed to read your post slowly in the first place to wade through all the grammar and spelling errors contained therein, but I think I got the idea.

I accept that ignorance (clearly) is the problem with the entire world, but it is the perpetration of this ignorance in the US that is the problem. That's what I've been saying this whole time if you had bothered to read thoroughly.

You say it yourself: you've been to the US ONCE!
    I've been here many many times and I've lived here for close to 8 years. I have seen in person the ignorance of MANY people in this country (even some who would be considered "educated") and I have seen the acceptance of ignorance and as previously mentioned even perpetration of ignorance in schools, churches and the media.

I am not dogmatic, I am expressing my views of what is wrong with the US and supported it with evidence.
    Sure, a poll is not the most scientific measurement, but firstly it was a gallup poll which gives a good idea of the general US population and has for years.
    Secondly, I mentioned things other than polls which were clear. Obviously since you have ignored the other points, you agree with them but you still seek to find fault by nitpicking.

Maybe you should re-examine whether or not you are dogmatic and ideologically driven, because (and while I may have used words other than "hard-on" granted) you seem to be so blindly pro-USA that you cannot see that there are serious problems within the country and throughout the world because of a general ignorance in that country.

I am highly educated and rational and see your points, but I disagree with your methods of ad hominem attacks to promote your agenda. :rolleyes:

I needed to read your post slowly in the first place to wade through all the grammar and spelling errors contained therein, but I think I got the idea.

I accept that ignorance (clearly) is the problem with the entire world, but it is the perpetration of this ignorance in the US that is the problem. That's what I've been saying this whole time if you had bothered to read thoroughly.

I've been here many many times and I've lived here for close to 8 years. I have seen in person the ignorance of MANY people in this country (even some who would be considered "educated") and I have seen the acceptance of ignorance and as previously mentioned even perpetration of ignorance in schools, churches and the media.

I am not dogmatic, I am expressing my views of what is wrong with the US and supported it with evidence.
    Sure, a poll is not the most scientific measurement, but firstly it was a gallup poll which gives a good idea of the general US population and has for years.
    Secondly, I mentioned things other than polls which were clear. Obviously since you have ignored the other points, you agree with them but you still seek to find fault by nitpicking.

Maybe you should re-examine whether or not you are dogmatic and ideologically driven, because (and while I may have used words other than "hard-on" granted) you seem to be so blindly pro-USA that you cannot see that there are serious problems within the country and throughout the world because of a general ignorance in that country.

I am highly educated and rational and see your points, but I disagree with your methods of ad hominem attacks to promote your agenda. :rolleyes:

American educated, clearly.

American educated, clearly.
    Not that it's any of your business or of any significance, but I did primary school and junior cycle in Dublin, high school in the US, a degree in marketing from one of your "top 100" in the US, a law degree in Dublin and my BL in Dublin.

Based on your spelling ability and grammar I'd imagine you didn't get too far in school. :rolleyes:

Constant childish comments is not helping your argument. Again please stop.

The first comment I saw of yours was "American tourists are super annoying too btw.", forgive me for doubting that your opinion on American society is based on a nuanced, holistic view.

Considering it is a nation of 300 million people, and you are making judgments of the entire society, it is irelevant that you have spent 8 years there, considering how small a portion of said society you would have come into contact with. Indicators such as international success in academia, business and technology gives a much more compelling view of the relative "ignorance" of the citizens, rather than your personal experience interacting with them.

I disagreed with your insinuation that Americans who profess to be especially religious are the "problem with the country" or that ignorance is a problem especially prevalent in the US. You asked for a valid counterpoint, I pointed out that regadless of your views, it is one of the most succesful societies of all time, despite its failings. I did not disagree that their is ignorance in the US, merely questioned its effects, which you imply are enormous.

I am not blindly pro-US, I often disagree with their foreign policy and am critical of their internal politics. Again, if you read my post carefully I said there is little one can say about the US that is not partly true, both postitive and negative.

Since you disagree with ad hominem so much, perhaps you should practice what you preach in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

:wave: HI BARACK!

IMG_0310.jpg

:rolleyes:

LOL

Burn!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nomnomnom

War is terrorism,plain and simple,we all know that if we have seen any of it,wether on tv or in person.

The United States of America has started,supported,became involved in or actively perpetuated more prolonged violent political situations than any other present day country.

Its brainwashing,propaganda and profiteering through pain is disgusting.It and its allies (including Ireland through its Shannon airspace) should bow down and provide reparations for those it has harmed.

nomnomnom wrote: »
    War is terrorism,plain and simple,we all know that if we have seen any of it,wether on tv or in person.

The United States of America has started,supported,became involved in or actively perpetuated more prolonged violent political situations than any other present day country.

Its brainwashing,propaganda and profiteering through pain is disgusting.It and its allies (including Ireland through its Shannon airspace) should bow down and provide reparations for those it has harmed.

War is sometimes necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OisinT: If you don't like America, why have you been there for 8 years? Just curious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Jakkass wrote: »
    OisinT: If you don't like America, why have you been there for 8 years? Just curious?

So he won't be a victim of its foreign policies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So in the context of the Korean War, who should they pay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

So was the Irish war of independance terrorism?

The Allies fighting the Axis powers in WW1 and WW2 were terrorists?

This guy doesn't beat about the bush!

edit:btw he's anti American.. just to let you know... ;)

Jakkass wrote: »
    My parents moved there when I was just finishing my Jr.Cycle so I had to go with them. I went to High School there and decided to go to college there as well. By the time I had finished college I was so disillusioned and fed up with the place that I moved back to Ireland immediately.

I've been living back in Dublin for 5 years now and I'm immensely glad to see the back of the place. I still do a bit of consulting work in the US and my parents still live there, so I'm over and back a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

wrote:

I am not blindly pro-US, I often disagree with their foreign policy

That type of phrase is so often used , it is a clear euphenism for "disagreeing with their foreign terrorism "

For many people,when they hear the word "terrrorism" or that often heard phrase "war on terror" ,they will automatically associate it with those images and video of angry men from the middle eastern and surounding regions burning american flags etc , and all those movies in the 80's and 90's where the baddies,villians, terorrists threatening the american hero were always those same guys as pictured ,reported in the western media .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭D.U.M.B

America: The worlds leading killer

D.U.M.B wrote: »
    America: The worlds leading killer

Doubt it. How many people have the USA killed?

Ok let's do a count. I'll get the ball rolling

3.6million in indochina 1965-1973

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

How many of its soldiers citizens have they killed in pointless wars for their own selfish benefits

Ok let's do a count. I'll get the ball rolling

3.6million in indochina 1965-1973

Did the US kill all 3.6m of them?

At least 20m died in China under Mao

How many of its soldiers citizens have they killed in pointless wars for their own selfish benefits
    I don't know, I highly doubt the US is the biggest killer in the world though. And I would expect most nations act in their own best interest.

I don't know, I highly doubt the US is the biggest killer in the world though. .

The reason you would doubt it is beause you will rarely hear about in on the Internet, radio, on the tv, in the newspapers over here etc .

I mean the U.S could bomb a rural town in iraq and kill 3000 civilians for example, and it may not be reported or even known who was killed ....because there is none to say or report otherwise, they are no media in these remote areas ....If there is going to be a report on the news over here it will simply state some baseless statement like .... "35 Al qaeda insurgents , and two top commanders were killed in heavy fire exchange"....

sxt wrote: »
    The reason you would doubt it is beause you will rarely hear about in on the Internet, radio, on the tv, in the newspapers over here etc .

I mean the U.S could bomb a rural town in iraq and kill 3000 civilians for example, and it may not be reported or even known who was killed ....because there is none to say or report otherwise, they are no media in these remote areas ....If there is going to be a report on the news over here it will simply state some baseless statement like .... "35 Al qaeda insurgents , and two top commanders were killed in heavy fire exchange"....

Except that it would be reported somewhere, and make its way to al-Jazeera or some station, and then come out. I've no doubt RTE would delight in broadcasting news that shows the US in a bad light

Except that it would be reported somewhere, and make its way to al-Jazeera or some station, and then come out. I've no doubt RTE would delight in broadcasting news that shows the US in a bad light

Do you honestly believe that RTE news or CNN or SKY news channel would report that 3000 innocent iraqi civilians were killed by American troops :confused:

sxt wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe that RTE news or CNN or SKY news channel would report that 3000 innocent iraqi civilians were killed by American troops :confused:

Dunno about Cnn or Sky, but yes I think RTE definitly would, they have an anti-American and anti-Israeli bias.

• Advertisement

Dunno about Cnn or Sky, but yes I think RTE definitly would, they have an anti-American and anti-Israeli bias.

Are you for real?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement