Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift for host? Thoughts on Common Irish Etiquette?

Options
  • 03-09-2010 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello!

I have been invited to stay with a family for two weeks as a kind effort to save me from having to pay for an overpriced flat while I visit. I would like to offer something to show my appreciation. I already was suggested and got a gift as a thanks.(Vintage Waterford Jug) What are the customs for giving this gift? Do I present it at the start or end of my stay? Should I add anything to it?

Also, what is the general etiquette for staying at someone's home for this period of time? I expect to provide for myself in regards to food,etc. but what might I expect?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ivan087

At the end of the first meal in the house, excuse yourself and return to the table with the gift. Then present the gift to your hosts. Don't make a big fuss about it. Just tell them you appreciate their kindness and you wanted to get them something. The gift you got seems to be expensive, so you don't need to add anything else or get anything else at the end of your stay.

Since you're staying for a while, always attempt to clear the table when the meal is over and everyone is getting up. Try and wash the dishes. However, your host may not want you to do this. But what counts is that you show that you want to help.

If you go shopping, at least try and pay for some shopping. Or if you're out by yourself, return home with a bottle of milk, bread or snacks. Again, don't make a fuss about getting them.

That's it really. Just be nice, helpful and give the family some space, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 delotus

Wonderful advice. Just what I was looking for!

Thank you!

Advertisement