Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Pedal/Shoe Combo? (Planet X)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Save some money, at the cost of very little weight, and get the 105 pedals.

Now you have a much healthier budget for a decent pair of shoes and maybe some socks.

Sorry, buy the 105s from CRC, I think you will pay for merlin shipping on orders below a certain limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

My budget is about €100 x 2.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=156&idproduct=37623

am in the same boat myself but just cant justify the outlay on new pedals and shoes. i think the SPD set up is fine and I cant find anyone who says there's any major difference to be had from switching. at the moment i'm thinking of putting the money towards new wheels and or garmin gps......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

My current shoes way almost as much as my frame.:eek:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7612

Shoes: 900g
    Frame: 1124g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I cant find anyone who says there's any major difference to be had from switching.
    You have now. SPD-SLs feel much better. But I have no idea if there is performance difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You have now. SPD-SLs feel much better. But I have no idea if there is performance difference.

+1, I use SPDs for commuting and have gone on the odd long spin, there is no comparison between them and a set of road pedals/shoes.

-Stiffer
    -More Secure
    -More comfortable
    -Lighter

There really is no comparison. That's not to say you can't be perfectly happy using SPDs on the road, but if you move to a proper road system you won't be in a hurry to move back. It's definitely an upgrade, whether you can measure it directly or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

well thats kind of what i meant i guess - 'no idea if there is a performance difference'

i started a thread on this topic myself only two or three weeks ago and nobody was really saying you have to go to road shoes and pedals - thats all i meant. i actually went into a bike shop where i've bought a lot of stuff - willing to spend - and the lad there told me not to waste my money, that the difference is minimal (i'm using stiff soled sidi mtb shoes though)

Advertisement