Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Will Luas To Cherrywood be open to the public?

Options
  • 03-09-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

Any idea of a date? I see it in use, why not open yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

2008 according to the signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

2008 according to the signs.

2008 9 10
    :D

End of October is plan. testing and route training on the line is well underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Jeremy Dixon at FM104 says he saw a Luas go by to Cherrywood with Passengers on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Jeremy Dixon at FM104 says he saw a Luas go by to Cherrywood with Passengers on it.

RPA hierarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah I've seen a couple of Luas' going up the new bridge at Sandyford but afaik they're just test runs and demonstrations for now.

• Advertisement

yeah and like everyone at fm104, he's full of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

When I moved to Cherrywood it was due to open in 2007, better late than never I suppose!! Is there an actual date yet or are they afraid to say since they've pushed it back so many times already??

Someone was telling me it will take it around 45/50 minutes to get Stephens green from Cherrywood, so it will probably still be faster to get a bus to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Plasmoid

Ste_D wrote: »
    When I moved to Cherrywood it was due to open in 2007, better late than never I suppose!! Is there an actual date yet or are they afraid to say since they've pushed it back so many times already??

Someone was telling me it will take it around 45/50 minutes to get Stephens green from Cherrywood, so it will probably still be faster to get a bus to town.

It should take about 20 mins from Sandyford - Brides Glen.

With the current testing, running during the middle of the day and not stopping for long enough to let passengers board (just braking to a halt, pausing, back to full speed) it's doing the round trip ( Sandyford - Brides Glen - Reversing - Sandyford ) in 40 minutes, so 20 minutes should be well doable, 40-ish minutes total.

145 or 46c from Cherrywood to Stephan's green is about 35 mins these days

• Registered Users Posts: 33,933 ✭✭✭✭listermint

145 or 46c from Cherrywood to Stephan's green is about 35 mins these days

Indeed but frequency and reliability is where its at.

Twice ive had DB driver go by with the 'out of service' he went all the way up the route and all the way back. finishing shift early no doubt.

LUAS ftw

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Indeed but frequency and reliability is where its at.

Agreed, trying to get a bus into town at the weekend is very hit and miss, I've stood for over half an hour waiting for something to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Luas is going to be every 5 minutes at peak times and 12 to 15 mins off peak from 6am to 12 midnight. Due to open on 12th October. 2 stations aren't being opened for the foreseeable future - racecourse and carrickbrennan.
    Also, there are NO park/ride facilities anywhere on the extension

I'm surprised they are not operating "Racecourse" as an events only stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Will open on Oct 15 with special events taking place over w/end of 16/17.

I just read that its cost €300 million for the 7.5km extension. For anyone keeping score thats €40k per meter. :confused: mental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

How does that compare to construction costs for other public transport projects here or in other countries?

As far as I know the original part of the line worked out at about 30k per meter.

I will have a look later and see if I can dig up similar figures for the M50 (unless someone can beat me to it!)

When I was in Malaysia about 9 years ago I read in an English language newspaper about a 250 mile long motorway that they had completed 6 months early for a total cost of around $10 million. I wish I still had the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you've got two bridges over a motorway, one bridge over a busy roundabout, one bridge over a 4 lane lanes of carriageway with a large median. you've got a tunnel under a road. you've got the deares land in Ireland (south county Dublin) i can see why it wsa so much.

the original line used the old harcourt line and recycled bridges with the exception of DunDrum.

Advertisement