Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting p90x

Options
  • 03-09-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Starting P90 x on Tuesday i have to wait until my gums heal after getting my wisdom teeth out.

I've bought the exercise bands just trying to get my head around the supplements at the mo.

I have some significant drawbacks i've had 2 discectomies this year and a damaged shoulder.

this limits me to lifting c. 40 lbs on a Dumbell

this program was recommended because the weights arent too heavy in it.

Current measurements:

14 st 7lbs

5' 11"

probably 15% fat (i'll get it measured properly before i start properly)

goal is 10% bodyfat max. i've no goal weight but definitely no heavier than i am now and serious increase in flexibility and range of movement

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭hairypigeon

right so i decided on animal pack flex and cr2 as creatine pharmaton as the multivit and on whey choc malt (tastes like a proper milkshake) on semiskimmed milk as the protien

exercise band came yesterday now to wait on my gums to heal following wisdom teeth removal

Thank god finally healed after the wisdom teeth

just started P90x back and shoulders and ab ripper tonight,

my backs suffering tonight, my biggest problem is i dont seemto be getting te resistance bands right when i'm moving through the sets but its a serious workout i'm actually shattered by the end of it

back and arms is 50 mins then str8 into ab ripper 20 mins tried the whole thing but i had to pause it plenty of times

being pretty strict on the diet

ON whey protein

animal pack flex

pharmaton.

pretty tired now gonna see if i sleep longer than my usual 5 hrs.

so far feeling great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tom spanks

well i've just started p90x too.
    I've pretty much similar measurements/weight.
    5'9 & 14 1/2 stone
    I'm into my second day and i'm acheing all over just finished Plyometrics and my legs are all wobbelly. this morning i had to roll out of bed and flap up because my arms & shoulders would not help me. :)
    Shoulders and arms tomorrow. (Can't wait):rolleyes:
    All in all its going good and cant wait until i start seeing results.
    Keep with it and let me know how it goes with you

Plyometrics is unbelievably hard I've got a decent rake of supplements that
    Seem to be taking the edge off it but I'm dying this morning

Wow it really does test you.
    i i try to do the exercise in the mornings but i may have to wait and see if my body stops acheing , i wont be able to do it as i am right now, i'll move around a lot and try get the joints warmed up so i can start
    Oh yeah I'm walking around like a new born baby deer who hasn't found their legs yet.you wanna check me out trying to tackle the stairs. my whole family come out to watch it's that funny. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭kala85

any more updates on how your getting on with the p90x?

I've lost over a stone in weight and felling great. I gave up the drink until christmas( 7 weeks off it. :D)
    i'd recommend it to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stoneruile

I just got this. I'm planning on starting on Monday. I have read the diet plan and bought myself an industrial size tub of whey. How have you all been getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi,

I am about to start the P90x program, just trying to get all the bits together.

Just have a quick questions regarding the supplements.

Could someone with more knowledge than me recommend alternative supplements to the P90x supplements?

I use 100% whey Gold standard nutrition at the moment.

Protein Bars?

Recovery Drink?

Vitimans, would a multi-vitimin do?

Pre workout drink?

Want to keep all the nutrition as close to the P90X supplements as possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Bump :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 robwa

bump

anybody actually finished this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Jaysus, I don't really know anything about P90X, I've just heard it's a very well structured programme & seen people get good results. What I didn't realise is all the supplements they push with it?? Seriously, there's better,cheaper & "real" alternatives out there.

Supplements are exactly that,they are there to supplement your diet. If your diet is good, they work well. If your diet is muck they'll only do so much in terms of papering over the cracks in your diet. Sort your diet 1st, then use supplements when you plateau!
    Hope this helps!
    (This is all through my own trial, error & advice I've received over the years. It's whats worked for me & only my opinion)
    BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am about to start the P90x program, just trying to get all the bits together.

Just have a quick questions regarding the supplements.

Could someone with more knowledge than me recommend alternative supplements to the P90x supplements?

I use 100% whey Gold standard nutrition at the moment.Good stuff but you can get equivalent in Whey for cheaper from the likes of myprotein.co.uk

Protein Bars? Eat real food! Or if you really want protein bars make your own.Plenty of recipes out there

Recovery Drink? Add glucose to your whey, again there is plenty of Diy recovery drink recipes out there

Vitimans, would a multi-vitimin do?
    Pre workout drink? If your diet is spot on pre work out drinks aren't neccessary. The likes of Ginseng, Caffeine or even lucozade sport would do the job if you really need something

Want to keep all the nutrition as close to the P90X supplements as possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BobbyT28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thr_boat

Did you keep it up in Jan?

I'm not a new year resolution person - but just downloaded the DVD's as i'm finally getting back from a bad muscle tear.

Just did first dat there now - killed me

No I did a week of it but Im quite busy at the moment with other sports. I will do it . might start it at the end of Feb or March when I can get a proper three month run at it..
    Determined to do it some day..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tomm1077

I'm on day 67 & have had great results so far. Lost most of my gut. When I started I was 13 st 9lbs. Now I'm 12 stone 2lbs. Missed about 3 workouts due to getting sick but flying though it now. Upped the weights in most of the exercises & feeling really great. Made my own protein bars. I use a recipe from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-LcIC5gtc & they taste great. I use Precision Engineered Whey Protein from Holland & Barrett. I've also started using the E&E Pre workout formula from beachbody.com but not entirly sure I'm getting the most out of it. I think eating a banana a while before working out might be enough. Sticking to the portion approach of the diet & haven't gone hungry yet either. If you're looking for a great workout in the comfort of your own home this is definetly the program for you!

Any body else start this recently ?

I am next week. Interested in getting a "support group" going? I've done it before and stopped after 6 weeks. The results are fairly amazing.

I am thinking of starting it myself next week. I think that I would need to be fairly fit to do it. would love to actually finish off 12 weeks of it.

You would need to be reasonably fit to start it. There is a fitness test you can d/l from the beachbody website. You really do need commitment to it though. I was hell bent on finishing it and only lasted 12 weeks. This time round i am going the full distance. I have been going to the gym and not seeing results. The program itself really makes you push yourself as you see the people on screen going hard at it.

• Advertisement

I thought that the program was 12 weeks and then week 13 was one final recovery week.
    Did you see much of a difference after the 12 weeks??

Sorry. Typo. I lasted 6 weeks and i saw a big difference. I followed the diet to a T. It is a bitch to follow.

Where did you see the biggest difference - in overall fitness or appearance in physique

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tomm1077

I'll be finished round 2 of P90X at the end of this month. So far I've lost 33 lbs since the 16th of January. Diet is grand once you get used to it. I have to say I'm looking forward to trying a different program as I'm getting a little bored of P90X after doing it for nearly 6 months. Next on the agenda is beachbodys new program Body Beast. Looks really good & the workouts are not as long as P90X. Definetly worth looking into.

anybody else have tried this out??

Advertisement