Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend an Aero helmet

• 03-09-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭

I need an aero helmet having never purchased one before. The relevant selection criteria would appear to be aero efficiency, weight and comfort. the contenders in the price range seem to be Garneau, Giro and Bell. Advices welcomed. Many thank.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you have a big head the choices are very limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Wouldnt the bubbles make it a bit soft?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have the Giro Advantage which does come in large - no problems whatsoever with it, but I find both Bell and Giro helmets normally fit me fine.

Of course, with Slane you save the VAT, which makes them particularly competitive over Wiggle, CRC and the Irish retailers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Best helmet is the one that fits you best while tucked. It should sit on your back with no gap... depending on your position some will suit better than others.

Good fit

Not so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Depends on you. If you ride with your head down you are better with a shorter tail like the Giro or Louis Garneau. The Bell, Uvex etc... are good but longer tails and suit people who can keep their heads up better.

I will say this... the Giro fits a little tight. I ride a size M in Giro Road Helmets but although a size M Advantage fits me, it is a little like having my head in a vice. Try before you buy. I current have an LG Rocket with a Visor and although it is surely one of the ugliest helmets it works for me and has carried to a few wins in the leagues this year.

Bottom line is that there is no one best helmet. Word on the street is that the UVEX is best, others like the catlike whilst Cancellara rides a Bell, Contador a Giro. I hear the new Specialized is very good too... Just get the one you like the look of best and if you find yourself riding head down stick with the Giro or Garneau I reckon, if you can keep your head up, any of them will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Just get the one you like the look of best

Pointy hats?

traffic_cone_hat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Thanks Beasty and Quigs Snr. I went for the Giro Advantage from Slane Cycles. :D

Advertisement