Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute - Maynooth to UCD

Options
  • 03-09-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hey all!

I've been trying to sort this out for ages, but I just cannot seem to find a way from Maynooth to UCD that doesn't take a million hours!

Myself and a friend had a 'dry run' yesterday to see how long it would take us, and it ended up taking nearly 2 and a half hours (train to connolly, then a no.3 bus from o'connell street!)

Is there anyone out there who's braved the commute before and can let me in on any easier/quicker ways? I've heard rumours of bus services leaving from straffan road at 7.15am-ish? If anyone knows about this, can they tell me whether it is from the Esso or the stop across from the Glenroyal???

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Im intending on doing the Maynooth-UCD thing every day too and was gonna do the train to Pearse then a dart to Sydney Parade but its so expensive and Sydney Parade is such a long walk from UCD so...Im looking for somewhere to move out to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

Jev/N wrote: »

I have, I just thought that they left from Celbridge...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭chrissor

Hi, I've been commuting to UCD from Maynooth for the last two years.

If you have to be in for 9, then the 66x goes at 7.15 and goes all the way to UCD, it arrives in plenty of time for 9am lectures.

Otherwise, if you get the 66, followed by the 145 or 46a from d'olier street (same street as the last stop on the 66) if you get this anytime between 10 and 2 it will take about an hour and 10 minutes.

If you prefer the train, go to Sydney Parade and then 15 minute walk or if you are lucky a number 2 or 3 bus will come by and have you there in 5. Taking the sligo train to connolly then the dart will take max 50 minutes, commuter train and dart will have you at sydney parade in just over an hour.

Regarding tickets, if you are just going to take the bus then buy the 5 day student tickets.
    You can get a week long return train ticket to sydney parade for about 20 euro.
    If you want to use both train and bus you can buy a monthly ticket for about 90 euro.

So if you choose the right form of transport at the right time you can get from maynooth to ucd in about 70 minutes, 60 if you are very lucky.

chrissor wrote: »
    Hi, I've been commuting to UCD from Maynooth for the last two years.

If you have to be in for 9, then the 66x goes at 7.15 and goes all the way to UCD, it arrives in plenty of time for 9am lectures.

Otherwise, if you get the 66, followed by the 145 or 46a from d'olier street (same street as the last stop on the 66) if you get this anytime between 10 and 2 it will take about an hour and 10 minutes.

If you prefer the train, go to Sydney Parade and then 15 minute walk or if you are lucky a number 2 or 3 bus will come by and have you there in 5. Taking the sligo train to connolly then the dart will take max 50 minutes, commuter train and dart will have you at sydney parade in just over an hour.

Regarding tickets, if you are just going to take the bus then buy the 5 day student tickets.
    You can get a week long return train ticket to sydney parade for about 20 euro.
    If you want to use both train and bus you can buy a monthly ticket for about 90 euro.

So if you choose the right form of transport at the right time you can get from maynooth to ucd in about 70 minutes, 60 if you are very lucky.

Dude...you are my hero! Thank you so much!

Just one last question, whereabouts does the 66x start from? Esso or outside the glenroyal? I've been hearing different things!

Thanks again!

• Advertisement

ooh, also!

How much is the 66x, if you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭chrissor

Hah, no bother, for my first two months of ucd I was taking the worst routes, taking over 2 hours to get there and back, nightmare! After two years I have it down to a fine art ;)

66x goes from esso, its the usual 66 route except it skips Lucan and Chapelizod which is very handy then takes the number 10 route to UCD. It costs 3.50 which is why its a good idea to get one of the 5 day or monthly student tickets, saves a bomb!
    66x also goes back to Maynooth from UCD at 4.50, but there are lots of 66x's from town that goes directly to Leixlip then Maynooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Anyone have any tips for going from Newbridge? I have a bus sorted but it leaves at 7 every morning, thats it, and most of my lectures dont start till 11, and fridays im not in till 12 or 1! Dont mean to barge in on the thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Don't take the 3 Bus ever unless its a nice day and you want to take the scenic route to town and have tons of time on your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

GobBass wrote: »
    Don't take the 3 Bus ever unless its a nice day and you want to take the scenic route to town and have tons of time on your hands.

But do take it if you want to get from sydney parade to UCD, it only runs every half hour though so unless your sure one is due (and after a month or two you'll know exactly when it is) your better off walking.

The best bus stops to wait at in the city centre for UCD are the ones which serve all of the 145 and 46(a to e), assuming you take the train get off at Tara st. for stops on d'olier st, the other city centre stations aren't very handy for busses.

The number 10 will be replaced in the coming weeks, can't remember off hand what by, I think one of the 46s.

For Newbridge I personally would take the train and cross the liffy to Wolfe Tone Quay and get a bus from there.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

After spending four years in Maynooth and being used to being able to walk to college in 15mins, this is a big change, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there!

Thanks again all, much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

LOL, seems I was right the first time, had the 66X link in but edited and changed it. Scratch that, listen to the advice above :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Yeah, this is great, thanks! I'm in Leixlip and knew about the 66x in the morning but wasn't sure if getting a train and then dart or a bus and then dart would get me there faster! And the route planner on the dublin bus website just confused me more! As did the timetables for the 66x since nearly each one goes to/from a different place and bypasses different places. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lt. Palumbo

Hey guys, quick question:

Is it not quicker to walk to Booterstown Dart station than Sydney Parade?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Just checked that myself for you. Its about 1.4 from newman to sydney parade, and about 1.8 to booterstown. I imagine if you had classes in quinn or something though it might be the difference. (Also because from quinn you would use a different route to the dart station)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

66x at 7.15...buy a 5 day ticket for 15.70 and you're all set, you're paying 35 quid less for a return ticket than people commuting from Meath and wicklow for a longer drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Also, it's not just the number 3 bus that goes from outside Sydney Parade by UCD - the 47 does too, but it doesn't go into campus. It comes about every half hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Also, it doesn't stop right outside sydney parade, you'll need to walk up to the tesco to catch it.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but how does one get from UCD to Maynooth at around 5 - 5:30 pm on a weekday? Im just wondering seeing as Dublin Bus have switched around some services so im not sure what to get these days... Also how much would it cost? Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

46a/145/39 to town, then 67 bus or any other bus that goes to maynooth.
    timetables are on www.dublinbus.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

Afaik the 66x still goes most of the same times on the way out, between 4:50 and 5:30, couldnt bring up the new times on the website now tho.

Does the bus not leave from UCD anymore, beside the 39a stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

For Newbridge I personally would take the train and cross the liffy to Wolfe Tone Quay and get a bus from there.

145 stops right outside Heuston and goes all the way to UCD That's what I'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

muffinz wrote: »
    Does the bus not leave from UCD anymore, beside the 39a stop?

Nearby, from the express bus stops behind the chaplaincy, or alternatively from the N11 bus stop which has one of them real time bus information things.

Advertisement