Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant and Continuation fee

Options
  • 03-09-2010 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I got an email from the fees office saying I would owe them 1500 continuation fee, which would not normally be covered by the grant.
    Going into my 4th year PhD.
    Is this correct? I thought a continuation fee was instead of fees at this stage, and that it would be covered by the grant as such.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

I've heard of a few colleges doing this now. It’s supposed to be an incentive to kick your ass out the door. I think you’re stuck with it. Some local authorities may cover it as they will fund you for 4 years. Worth checking out if you are in receipt of a higher education grant or you may even be allowed to apply for one should your funding have run out after the three years?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

What institution is it? Some allow you to split the fee in two, €750 every 6 months so if you handup before the end of the first 6 months you dont pay the next installment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

pwd wrote: »
    I got an email from the fees office saying I would owe them 1500 continuation fee, which would not normally be covered by the grant.
    Going into my 4th year PhD.
    Is this correct? I thought a continuation fee was instead of fees at this stage, and that it would be covered by the grant as such.

Thats strange, I'm going into 4th year now and I'm paying the flat rate of €5000 - sounds as if they're piling another charge on top of you just for getting the grant.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

No; the continuation fee is instead of fees, so the college receive less money. For new postgrads this year, they will be charged full fees for 4 years from now on too.

Advertisement