Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disc Brakes on a Trek 7500 Hybrid?

• 03-09-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy disc brakes for my hybrid bike. I am not sure is it even possible as the wheels doesn't look like they are suitable to attach the discs to. Is there any way to do this without having to replace the entire wheels?
    Here are some pics of the front and back wheel axles.

front.jpg

back1.jpg

back2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I don't know the answer to your question, but why do you need to get disk brakes? Your brakes should have enough power to throw you over the bars if they are configured correctly.

Also wash your bike :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I don't know the answer to your question, but why do you need to get disk brakes? Your brakes should have enough power to throw you over the bars if they are configured correctly.

Also wash your bike :)

I need to replace the entire back brake system as it is beyond repair. Also I just love the reliability of good disc brakes and I shouldn't need a reason anyway if I like something am I not allowed get it?

Also the bike is relatively clean. I usually bring it to the near by petrol station and they power wash it for me for a euro :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Not the best angles there, but I think I spy front and rear caliper mounts. Have you checked the price of a complete system: levers, discs, cables, calipers, etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

clearz wrote: »
    I need to replace the entire back brake system as it is beyond repair. Also I just love the reliability of good disc brakes and I shouldn't need a reason anyway if I like something am I not allowed get it?

Also the bike is relatively clean. I usually bring it to the near by petrol station and they power wash it for me for a euro :)

Sorry I wasn't being ironic, it was a genuine question, if you like them you can most certainly get them. I certainly do :) It's just some people are underestimating the power of normal brakes.

And as for the power wash, bad bad idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

You need new hubs.... probably better off buying wheels... fork has a mount so you're okay there.. frame doesn't so you would need a bolt on adapter... so in short...new wheels...adapter for disc.... calipers.... levers...all the cables etc... don't bother...... sell the bike and buy one with disc brakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

mtbireland wrote: »
    You need new hubs.... probably better off buying wheels... fork has a mount so you're okay there.. frame doesn't so you would need a bolt on adapter... so in short...new wheels...adapter for disc.... calipers.... levers...all the cables etc... don't bother...... sell the bike and buy one with disc brakes.

where can you get bolt on disc brake adaptors?

Advertisement