Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco router resets every hour on the hour

• 03-09-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Had this problem for a month. Router constantly resetting itself, no matter if I was using the internet or not.

After the same tech guy came last friday and this friday he told me to write down the times the router was resetting itself. He had found no problems with the router and the only thing he did was set the router's channel to '11' as it kept reseting to 'Auto' after every reset. But when he left last week and today, the problem persisted.

I wrote down the times it went off after he left today like he suggested and I noticed it was going off at:

13:03
    14:03
    16:03
    18:03
    19:03

So, at always the same time. He told me to ring the tech support and get them to connect me to the RMC(Regional Management Centre) who will check the logs and see what's up. The customer support guy said they would get them to contact me but they havent yet.

Any ideas in the meantime?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Is it the router resetting itself or just your connection dropping every hour? If it's the latter, make sure that your router doesn't have the lease time set to 1 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Improbable wrote: »
    Is it the router resetting itself or just your connection dropping every hour? If it's the latter, make sure that your router doesn't have the lease time set to 1 hour.

Well, all the lights go out on the router except for the power light icon so dropping/resetting, not sure what to correctly term it.

Where would I find that setting, the 'lease' time? You mean Wan lease time?

Nah, if all of the lights are going on/off then its not that. Is the firmware up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Improbable wrote: »
    Nah, if all of the lights are going on/off then its not that. Is the firmware up to date?

Yeh, firmware is the latest.

Type 192.168.100.1 into your browser and find the Signal page. What's your signal to noise ratio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

Try powering off and on the modem. I had this about a week ago and it sorted it out for me.

I called support to ask them about it and they sent someone out to check cables etc. They said that signal was going up and down and that they needed to run a new cable into my house. I am still waiting for them to come back to do this. Its their infrastructure team that need to do this.

Its been fine since, so the original reboot seemed to get over the initial problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

did u get this sorted ? my friend is having the same problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Mine keeps doing this two and I've had the thing replaced twice.

It's very annoying as it defaults to channel 6 but everything in my area is on channel 6 so I can't get a connection to it at all on channel 6, only channel 1.

Involves me having to grab the laptop and hook it up via ethernet to keep changing the channel every time it resets itself... it's bloody annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 vicount

this is also happening to me,, the router was fine for a few months and in the last 2 weeks its constantly resetting its self on the hr every hr?? surely upc would want to change the router full stop.. seems its a common enough problem to warrant a new supplier of routers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

It's a firmware bug. The firmware got updated recently and this is the result. A workaround is to set the DHCP lease time to 9999999 (as many 9's as fit in the field). The default lease time is 3600 seconds (1 hour). The bug is that instead of releasing the IP address, the modem reboots when the lease expires, that's why you see the modem reboot almost exactly every hour.

UPC knows this very well, so I have no clue why they haven't rolled back the broken firmware yet. Incompetence, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

blaz wrote: »
    It's a firmware bug. The firmware got updated recently and this is the result. A workaround is to set the DHCP lease time to 9999999 (as many 9's as fit in the field). The default lease time is 3600 seconds (1 hour). The bug is that instead of releasing the IP address, the modem reboots when the lease expires, that's why you see the modem reboot almost exactly every hour.

UPC knows this very well, so I have no clue why they haven't rolled back the broken firmware yet. Incompetence, I guess.

This is my problem also.

UPC are a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

blaz wrote: »

You're making a horrible assumption about UPC here. I doubt they care too much about their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 0Default0

Same things happening to me, 8 minutes past the hour every hour. Tried to change the lease time, no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭squonk

Is the firmware on the router updated automatically at a restart if one happens? I presume their back end systems push out any updates as needs be once a router disconnects and reattaches to their network?

My router was rock solid since last December but has started to become unresponsive perioically in the past month or two. Looks like it's happening every 20-40 minutes really. I wonder if this is due to the software update? I thought intially it might have been due to the speed increase they rolled out recently. The issues seem to have conincided roughly with that event.

Advertisement