Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SECOND CHANCE STUDENT tuition fees

Options
  • 03-09-2010 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Would I have to pay tuition fees if I am a second chance student?:confused: They are like 9000!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 swish10

alison1234 wrote: »
    Would I have to pay tuition fees if I am a second chance student?:confused: They are like 9000!!!

Nope, your tuition fees are covered :) I'm heading back to uni as a mature student under the "Second Chance Scheme" too as it has been at least 5 years since I was last at 3rd level and never did more than the first year of my course at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 alison1234

swish10 wrote: »
    Nope, your tuition fees are covered :) I'm heading back to uni as a mature student under the "Second Chance Scheme" too as it has been at least 5 years since I was last at 3rd level and never did more than the first year of my course at that time.
    I did the first 2years of mine though. Wonder if this makes a difference?

alison1234 wrote: »
    I did the first 2years of mine though. Wonder if this makes a difference?

Ah, I see. Very sorry to say it but as far as I know you'd have to pay your fees. Now had you only done 1 year you'd be ok, fees would be covered but as you did 2 years you fall outside the scheme, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It is possible that you could have your 3rd year (and subsequent) fees covered though.

This must be a shock to you. I do know of a British university that offer degrees by distance (purely online with optional free study schools etc at the uni once or twice a year) leading to a Bsc (over 4 or 5 years p/t) The price is very good, about €1000 per year and that covers all materials too. If you want more information just PM me. It is a cheap way to get a Bsc (oh and the course is continuous assessment - no exams, all done through essays) At the end you'll have a bona fide, recognised Bsc from one of the top 10 most modern universities in the UK. Total cost to you for the entire course would be in the region of €4000/€5000. You pay yearly. There's also the option to leave early with a Higher Certificate, a Diploma or an Ordinary Degree (the course itself is an Honors degree) Something to think about if you'd be happy with a Bsc in Criminology and if money was an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭u60gypx5jakoti

"Ah, I see. Very sorry to say it but as far as I know you'd have to pay your fees. Now had you only done 1 year you'd be ok, fees would be covered but as you did 2 years you fall outside the scheme, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It is possible that you could have your 3rd year (and subsequent) fees covered though."

Is this true?
    I thought once you dropped out over 5 years ago, that regardless of how many years you finished in your previous course you would now be eligible again for free fees for all the years of your new course.

Can anyone clarify this?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭NeirBot

"Ah, I see. Very sorry to say it but as far as I know you'd have to pay your fees. Now had you only done 1 year you'd be ok, fees would be covered but as you did 2 years you fall outside the scheme, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It is possible that you could have your 3rd year (and subsequent) fees covered though."

Is this true?
    I thought once you dropped out over 5 years ago, that regardless of how many years you finished in your previous course you would now be eligible again for free fees for all the years of your new course.

Can anyone clarify this?

I thought that as long as you didn't get a degree/qualification that you were entitled to free fees again as a Second Chance Student, I have never seen any mention of there being a one year cut-off.

I did 1.5 years myself and starting college tomorrow, really dont want to have to pay year and half worth of fees:eek:!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

just on this, i did a year in CIT back in 2007 but failed the exams and am now goin back as a mature student in UCC and was told i have to pay tuition fees. Is that correct??

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is this true?

Can anyone clarify this?
    I think the 5 year rule where you can then be classified as a "second chance student" is in relation to being eligible for maintenance grants which are entirely separate to tuition fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Connorzee wrote: »
    just on this, i did a year in CIT back in 2007 but failed the exams and am now goin back as a mature student in UCC and was told i have to pay tuition fees. Is that correct??
    Yes I think the college is allowed do this

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You wouldn't come under the Second Chance Scheme (5 year rule) You would have to pay fees unless you had a certified medical illness during the year you were at CIT - but that may be at the colleges (UCC's) discretion. So, looks like you'd have to pay full fees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

disaster :( €5720 they're lookin for

• Advertisement

disaster :( €5720 they're lookin for

Sorry to hear that. If you started in 2007 and finished in 2008 you would have to wait a minimum of 5 years (2013) before you can go back to 3rd level and have your tuition fees paid by the State and apply for a grant.

If you wanted to get a Bsc in Criminology from a UK uni (by distance) it'd cost you about €1,000 per year. I put some details on that in a reply above to someone else. It's just an option for folks if they cannot afford to get a degree here in Ireland, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭u60gypx5jakoti

What about if you completed first year, and started second year, but then dropped out, back in 2004?
    I was under the impression that now I am eligible for both maintenance grant and free fees? Is that not correct? Thats what it seems to say on all related websites.

These people could tell folks more about whether if you have done more than 1 year already you can still get your fees paid under the Second Chance Scheme. It's Student Support, Tullamore (some decentralisation thing) 057 9325317.

I thought not but now not so sure, that may only be in relation to a grant - so folks might be able to have their fees paid even if they did more than 1 year already.

Advertisement