Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best teachers in the IOE

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

someone mentioned susan silke, i had her for fifth year and she was ok but i dont think she does sixth year if you havent had her for fifth as they continue on rather than starting from scratch again.
    mona murray is amazing for biology.
    jim carberry for geography

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I only had Adian Roantree, Cathy Sweeny and William Murphy and thought they were brillant! It's clear they love what they do and taught the subjects really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

leesmom wrote: »
    someone mentioned susan silke, i had her for fifth year and she was ok but i dont think she does sixth year if you havent had her for fifth as they continue on rather than starting from scratch again.
    mona murray is amazing for biology.
    jim carberry for geography

dont understand why my post was edited, just giving an honest answer :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

leesmom wrote: »
    dont understand why my post was edited, just giving an honest answer :confused:
    Honesty, while admirable even if subjective (i.e. you are giving us your honest opinion, doesn't mean that you're right or that others would agree), isn't everything.

It's one thing to publicly recommend certain teachers to those enrolling (after all, as spurious points out, the IoE is a business and one that markets itself on the quality of its teachers); it's another to make negative comments about others, even in general terms.

Remember that there are probably at most only 3 or 4 teachers for any one subject in the IoE ... any negative comment about the other teachers for a particular subject is therefore pretty personal to 2 or 3 people, and they are completely identifiable.

How would you like negative comments made about you, and linked to your real name, to be published on Boards for the whole country to read? Do you think we should allow that to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

That's a good point actualy.

Previous post edited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

theowen wrote: »
    Only for 5th yearsss.

Thats a shame. I got grinds off him and he helped a lot.

Also, Corinne is an excellent and very friendly French teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 offandonagain

Ruski wrote: »
    The thing about Aidan Roantree is that he supplies you with notes and does out an example but when it comes to explaining how the mathematics of a problem works, he's not exactly the most comprehensible. I had Gerry Culleton as a grinds teacher in the Institute, who is now teaching in St. Andrew's, and he made maths very clear even though he covered the course very slowly and couldn't get it finished on time. He explained it by taking a difficult problem and breaking it down to its fundamental levels.

I respect Roantree for the quality of his teaching material and reputation for preparation for the one exam, but the teachers that can make [LATEX] f(x) = 5x^3 + 7x^2 + 3x + 23[/LATEX] look like [LATEX]2 + 2 = 4[/LATEX] are the ones that help you in the long run.

Gerry Culleton was the funniest teacher I ever had! His notes are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm picking the subjects and teachers tomorrow.

I'm going to go for these teachers:
    Maths - Aidan Roantree
    Applied Maths (not worth it.)
    Physics - Pat Doyle
    Business - William Murphy
    Biology - Mona Murray
    French - Corinne Gavenda
    Geography - Jim Carberry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

irish_man wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm picking the subjects and teachers tomorrow.
    Grand.

I'm assuming that everyone else has got any advice they needed by this point too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement