Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mapmyride versus ridewithgps.com

• 03-09-2010 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

I mapped out a small route I did tonight on map my ride:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/edit_route?r=717128354504880993

It came out at 597ft climbing whereas with ridewithgps it came out at closer to 900ft.

Which is likely to be closer to the truth ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'd say both could be a little off, I find (now I haven't used them extensively) that they both give slightly different results every time you map a route, I do prefer ridewithgps for mapping out my routes, or planning a route, as I find it more straight-foreward and clutter/advertisement free !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

ride with gps is a lot more accurate, not saying it perfect but is a lot better, as said in another thread double the altitude in map my ride and half the calories in the garmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

seve65 wrote: »
    I mapped out a small route I did tonight on map my ride:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/edit_route?r=717128354504880993

It came out at 597ft climbing whereas with ridewithgps it came out at closer to 900ft.

Which is likely to be closer to the truth ?

Map my ride is terrible for elevation, it said there was 450m of climbing in the SKT90, 4 diff gps put it between 900 and 1000, as did my legs :)

Ride with gps does seem alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

looks like ridewithgps is naff too, it has Temple hill in Ballincollig with a max grade of 12.8% whereas its more like 30%. Similar under-estimation seemed to occur on other hills I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

seve65 wrote: »
    looks like ridewithgps is naff too, it has Temple hill in Ballincollig with a max grade of 12.8% whereas its more like 30%. Similar under-estimation seemed to occur on other hills I know of.

Ride with GPS is a great interface and works a lot easier on various PC's that I use compared with MMR. However, it continually overestimates altitude gained and underestimates gradient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Bike route toaster is the most accurate IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Bike route toaster
    Yep, thats an interesting site, the 'Summary' tab looks accurate.
    I suppose you could also use Google Maps (Street View) to follow a route/climb or OSI.ie to see the ordinance survey map for the actual elevation, although the previously mentioned 'toaster' site has something similar with it's 'Cycle' tab. At-the-end-of-the-day you really don't have an excuse if you don't know the 'route' thats ahead of you :o (isn't technology a great thing :D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It's also a faster interface than MMR and downloads routes to the Garmin more easily than RideWithGPS. If they could sort out the latter I'd switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Just mapped a route I cycle on Bike route toaster & it calculated the accent at 200m less than what RWGPS calculated.

I guess I'm not doing as well as I thought :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

MMR is carp, there I said it.... RWGPS may not be perfect but its fast, I was plotting a 200k ride with MMR one evening and it took me over an hour, only a few min with RWGPS. Now that was before they launched the beta site but from what I can see its still ssssssssssslllllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww......ww..w.wwwww. and less accurate.
    At the end of the day its all freeware so you get what you pay for, if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

they differe because they both use different algorythms for working out total climb values. ridewithgps uses a similar one to the garmin which more or less counts every elevation change. map my ride use a little too much logic in their calculations and dont count climbs with an elevation change of less than X the x value seems to change by the distance of the spin and the amount of climbing, so basically they dont count speed bumps as climbs.

Of the 2 ridewithgps is by far the better, and is still a work in progress, mapmyride dont seem to ever do any updates. I've worked a bit with the guys from ridewithgps making my app BBSpeedOMeter for blackberry and the support they give is very good, so if you notice anything thats off you just have to email them and they'll fix it and get back to you not like alot of other sites.

not sure on the gradient thing that one of you said above, i assume that because the graph is only the width of a screen and your mapping a spin of miles long gradient is averaged over a fairly long distance so altho the max gradient of a hill might be 30 the average over a couple of hundred meters is probably only 12.

Advertisement