Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeats College Supervisors

Options
  • 03-09-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I went for an interview recently for a supervisor's position at evening study, in Yeats College, Galway and they told me that the rate of pay was 8.65, I couldn't believe it! How much do those kids pay to go to the school and they pay basic wage to supervisorers. My friends are getting 30 euros, in Dublin, doing the same job.
    I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience working there or knows if that's the same rate for all, or is it just the rate they give to Uni students.

Would really appreciate any info on the matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

dylan20 wrote: »
    I went for an interview recently for a supervisor's position at evening study, in Yeats College, Galway and they told me that the rate of pay was 8.65, I couldn't believe it! How much do those kids pay to go to the school and they pay basic wage to supervisorers. My friends are getting 30 euros, in Dublin, doing the same job.
    I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience working there or knows if that's the same rate for all, or is it just the rate they give to Uni students.

Yeats is a privately owned business.They're not primarily in it to educate children or provide commuity employment. They can pay what they like as long as it's greater than minimum wage.

It's not particularly good money but it is just supervising I suppose. You don't shoulder as much responsibility as teachers. In this climate I'd say €30 an hour for just supervising would be unlikely from a private institution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'd find the 30e figure highly questionable tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

You should consider yourself lucky if you got a job paying 8.65 ph considering the lots some people are stuck with at the moment. that 30 euro an hour presumption is ridiculous, its only a supervisors position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dylan20

I'm not actually going to be working there anyway! But ya, that's a fair point, for what you do, it's not all that bad.
    I was just looking at it from a different perspetive! In terms of what the school takes in, but I suppose the supervisors would be at the bottom of the barrel when It comes to rate of pay.

Thank you for your replies.

Case closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

i wonder is Jim the dictator still a supervisor there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

tbh its not a very taxing job so 30 quid a hour seems a bit rich. it looked boring as hell but i guess that in itself makes the job unpleasant but at least they were allowed to read the paper at yeats in galway when i was there.

basically they lean against a table say yes/no when someone wants to wee and go "shhhh" really loudly at study time. I don't think it would merit more money. Was your friend a supervisor during exams in dublin by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

RANIA wrote: »
    i wonder is Jim the dictator still a supervisor there?
    There's a blast from the past. I remember him from when I did my Leaving Cert back in 1997.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Go to Dublin then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

You sure the 30 euro an hours isnt just for supervising a state exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

Malice_ wrote: »
    There's a blast from the past. I remember him from when I did my Leaving Cert back in 1997.
    me too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement