Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greetings' New Betting Log

Options
  • 03-09-2010 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭

After taking a few weeks to myself and having better luck on picking out the aul winner,I'm going to start a new log,after a pretty disasterous one.
    Primarily betting on horses but may have the occassional one on football,if the price is right.
    First bet is
    Cityscape 2.00 Haydock 11/2
    Running in what is a hot enough listed race here. Beaten last time out in a Listed,but I'm going to forgive him that run. Beaten a neck but had pulled 13 lengths ahead of the rest,in what was a 4 runner field,but was a very well backed 4/9 favourite,from around evens that morning.Was beaten into second in a Group 2 as a 2 year old and a group 3 as a 3 year old,before finishing down the field behind Sea The Stars,where he took nearly a year to recover from,when being placed off top weight in a hot handicap. Secrecy looks a danger and Desert Myth is unexposed,but I'll go with this bad boy. I also don't think Awzaan will get a mile.
    Stake:10 euro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Saltagioo 2.20 Stratford 7/2
    Dissappointed last time but that was over further with soft ground. Back on a faster surface and over 2 miles 3 he should go very close and has been running very well in decent handicaps,this being a novice hurdle.5 pound claimer on board and if his odds are around the projected 4/1 I'd be very please
    Stake:20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

You shouldn't have started this. Remember how well you were tipping after you gave up the last one

:D

Haha,watch my two selections pull up now.

Cityscape wins,Saltagioo is beaten a short head in a photo :(
    Profit: 35 euro

Tomorrow is a rather tricky day's racing. My bet for the moment is
    Smack That 4.10 Worcester 7/2
    This is a novice chase,and not the hottest one in the world.Smack that is coming into the race off 2 not so hot runs,but both were in two decent handicap chases,falling in the first when still going well,and pulling up last time out in one of the hottest handicap chases of the summer. Dropping into novice company should see him fare well if anywhere near his win in novice company at Aintree in June,where he won by 18 lengths over the minimum trip,like here. Very versatile ground wise so no worries there.Blackloft could well be the main danger,where he is the likely favourite.

• Advertisement

Did another bet on
    Charlie Cool 3.10 York 9/2
    Was just touched off in this race last year and is the highest rated of these,and better than some on the weights. Running in a claimer today,but has been running in some seriously competitive handicaps of late.James Sullivan takes off another three and if he can run to near his rating he should take this.

Charlie Cool lets me down. Current profit of 15 euro,will be minus 5 if Smack that doesn't oblige.

Aw kill myself two losers.
    Balance:Minus 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Hard luck. Was a tough day for calling the races today tho. I had to rely on a wide trebles selection just to pull in some small profit.

Ah sure you'll have those days.

• Advertisement

No bets for me today,didn't get to look at them was getting stuff ready for college. I'll have some up tomorrow I'd say.

Al Zir 4.20 Doncastor
    At the back end of last season this lad really looked like a possible superstar.Won it's maiden and a conditions race after very easily,before coming to Ireland to finish third in the Racing Post Trophy,behind St Nicholas Abbey,as third favourite. Admittedly,he hasn't been able to match that form this year,where he was tried in two Group 1 races,firstly finishing 9th,only beaten 6 lengths in the Guineas,before finishing 6th in the Derby. Must have been something amiss after that race but I have full faith in it now. Cost a massive 1.6 million dollars as a yearling and surely has the ability to start paying back Godolphin now, a group horse in a conditions race in my opinion. Wigmore Hall looks a danger,but hasn't faced proper group horses yet.Big bet at2/1 for me.
    Stake:50 euro at 2/1

Edit: Wigmore Hall second in a US grade one last time.

Rain will benefit Al Zir better than Wigmore Hall. May it keep coming :D Well backed now,I see a lot of 13/8.

Sorry about the length of time I haven't posted,my internet has been bollocksed. Al Zir was ****e. Current balance of minus 55.
    Today I'm going for a tricky maiden,but feel that
    Old Possum 12/1 2.30 Lingfield is hugely overpriced. With a 3 beside its name following a run at Newcastle over this distance last month,this is the second choice of the Godolphin pair. The 2 ahead of him in the market are its stable companion and a Gosden runner,both with 2's beside their names. However,Old Possum ran well,despite being very green and has a serious each way shout.
    Stake:10 each way

Not even placed,it was the stablemate that won it. balance:minus 75 euro
    One or two winners and hopefully that can change.

Going to have a small each way bet on a horse that I think is over priced in a competitive maiden hurdle at Listowel.
    Tequila Lord 5.25 Listowel 20/1
    Ran second in a competitive enough novice hurdle at Limerick last time,where he made 2 mistakes towards the end which ultimately may have cost him the race. Unseated and finished down the field in the two races before that but had shown some ability in bumpers before that,as well as a third in a maiden hurdle. His last run was promising following a break and could well outrun his huge odds here.
    Stake:5 euro each way.

Obviously this hasn't started well. Tequila Lord wasn't even placed.
    Tomorrow one I've picked out is
    Keys Of Cyprus 3.50 Ayr
    William Hill have early prices up at the moment,currently 15/2,I was hoping for a little more but anyway. Really caught my eye last time out in a better handicap over this distance at Ripon,and ran well to be second at Musselburgh aswell. Something clearly was amiss at Goodwood between them in a hotter handicap,but is running off the same mark as his placed effort last time out. The form of the last race hasn't exactly been franked but this looks an easier task than what it's been facing more recently and is versatile ground wise,has won on good/firm or even soft/heavy,and hopefully can at least be placed tomorrow.
    Stake:10 each way
    Balance after stake:minus 105

Wise Old Owl Listowel 4.25
    Running in a beginners here,and has finished second over fences in his last three starts. Stepping up in trip here tomorrow but should get it,and with a chase rating of 116,he should have enough to take this race. Not much to say about it.

NO BET WITH THE GROUND

Really can't believe the price on
    Calvados Blues 7.55 Wolverhampton 6/1
    Godolphin first choice in the race and has been off since World Cup night in Meydan when finishing tenth,7 lenghts behind in a group 1.Before that he ran well in a valuable handicap there,beaten 2 lenghts of a high weight. Put in another good performance the time before,finishing third in a group 3 there. Has previously contested at group1 level where he finished fifth in the Prix Du Jockey Club,5 lenghts behind the super filly Stacelita.
    Stake:30 euro
    Balance after stake:Minus 135

• Advertisement

Typical,Wise Old Owl wins at 3/1,and Keys Of Cyprus misses out on a place in a photo.

No luck lads,so the balance isn't looking too good,**** it,gonna keep the chin up.
    Tomorrow I'm gonna go for
    Delegator 2.35 Newbury 7/2
    Moved to Godolphin during his 3 year old season and is back as a four year old. Went in favourite in last year's 2000 Guineas only to be beaten into second by Sea The Stars. Last seen when beaten 3 lengths in the Breeders' Cup Mile behind Goldikova,and was third in the QEII before that,and winning the Totesport Celebration Mile before that. This is a group 2 or group 1 horse running in what looks a very strong listed race tomorrow. Awzaan could be a serious threat over 7 furlongs here as he wasn't getting the mile this season I felt. Dropping to 7 shouldn't prevent Delegator from taking this though if back to near his best.
    Stake:30 euro
    Balance after stake:minus 165

Finally a winner,hopefully my luck will change.
    Returns:135 euro
    Balance:Minus 30

Reasoning up later but for the Ayr Silver Cup
    Advanced 16/1 10 euro each way

Gold Cup:
    Damien 10 euro each way 40/1

Advanced winner of the Ayr Gold Cup the year before last,from stall 22. Rated 109,Advanced is now a huge 14 pounds below that win over course and distance,and has a 3 pound claimer on it now(a claimer who has ridden the horse 14 times) so all in all is 17 pounds better than it's win in the race. Was beaten two lengths in the Gold Cup last year two off a rating of 99 and this looks significantly easier,although still shockingly competitive.Ground is curretnly good-good to soft in places,and Advances can go on any kind of ground,winning in '07 on good to soft. The onle downside is the draw,where he is drawn 9,I prefer middle to higher draws,but still think Advanced has a serious shout. Here's hoping.

Damien is more of a horse that I have been following for a while now. I'm waiting for this horse to win some big handicap any run now,but I wish he was a pound or two lower here,I think 99 is a bit stiff for him,but represents a serious drop since his once rating of 112 as a two year old. This was highly tried as a youngster and was thought to be capable of a group 1 win,and was unlucky not to come close to winning a valuable sales race at two. Things haven't worked out as well since but has been promising in some runs this season,particularly when beaten 3 lengths in a group 2 at York in May,and a good forth in a hot handicap at Doncaster last time out off this mark,and the way he stayed on on that ground (good) suggested that he might just like the ground a bit soft ,but is well able to go off good and firm ground so is a versatile sort. Drawn a lovely number 19 I think he can go well tomorrow,and if not,it'll only be a matter of time before he bahs a big race win.
    Stake after bets:Minus 70 euro

Gonna do one more bet for tomorrow and that is
    Triple Aspect 10/1 15.40 Newbury
    Is a quality horse I feel but is running in a competitve race here so going each way but think it still may well be good enough for a win.Finished 5th a tthe Curragh last time behind Astrophysical Jet,but is 4 pounds better off following a two length defeat,and I think it was held up too much that time,and a more steady position should do him the world of good. Got well backed that day and went off favourite.Before that it was unlucky to unseat it's rider behind Borderlescott in a group 2 when the saddle slipped and was still in with a shout of troubling the leaders. I had it backed when a well backed winner of the Coral Charge,a group 3,the race before that,and despite being very slowly away and looking like the race had gone,he finished very well and flew home,and I wouldn't be too put off by a bit of cut in the ground,as he is also a listed winner over 6,when he beat Sir Gerry,who has won in Meydan this year and was just beaten by Delegator today. 10/1 is far too big to ignore and I would even back it at half those odds.
    Stake:15 each way
    Balance after stake:Minus 100

Includes 70 euro worth of bets.

Small loss today after Advance places.
    Balance:Minus 50

Going for
    Whip Mark 2.15 Fairyhouse 7/4
    Don't usually like going for such small prices but this lad should have enough to win this maiden here. Finished a disappointing ninth on its debut but left that effort behind hi when second in a minor event at sligo on yielding to soft last time out. That experience on soft groound should do him the world of good today as the ground is soft today following a good bit of rain,and none of his nearest rivals in the market have good experience on soft ground. Hung right that day which I must admit is a worry,but Bolger is well able to get a horse to win a maiden and this looks like a golden opportunity.
    Balance including bet:Minus 70

• Advertisement

One more
    Navajo Nation 3.00 Plumpton 22/1
    Hugely overpriced here and I could easily see him running into a place here. Still a maiden over hurdles but has been consistent enough,and it's run last time out can be scratched when he was a remote third over very heavy ground.Ran well in a handicap hurdlethe time before that off a rating of 99,and was rated as high as 105 before that. Should be back to better today and faces a big test,but hoping to get a place. I think the Nicholls horse could be a danger,as Navajo Nation has a few pounds to find on him,but disappointed last time out.
    Stake:7.50 each way

Advertisement