If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a 40-46" 1080P TV

Options
  • 03-09-2010 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm hoping you can quote/suggest a decent screen for approx €1000 (stretch to €1200 if needed).
    I've been happily viewing a Samsung UE40B7000 for the last year but I managed to break the screen. My new tv will need to be at least as good at SD/HD as this.
    It needs to be less than 112cm wide and 80cm tall to fit a cabinet I have.
    I'd rather 42/46" but 40" would probably do.

I'll have it hooked up to a media center PC with DVB-S and DVB-T cards installed so DNLA/freeview HD/Freesat tuners aren't needed but obviously I wouldn't rule something out just for having it.
    I'd probably be into something like the UE46C6530, assuming that's a close replacement to what I had in terms of picture quality etc, but I don't think you have that.

Given that my last 2 tv's have both had screens damaged I'd be interested in something with a glass type screen but its not a necessity and if it did have such a screen I don't want to suffer from bad reflections/glare. Its main use will be in the evening time but there will be a decent amount of daytime viewing too.

Input lag isn't a huge deal breaker for me but I wouldn't want something that suffers too badly as I play the Wii on this screen sometimes and Guitar Hero is sensitive to lag.

Speakers aren't a biggie as I have a set plugged into the HTPC.

Plasma/LED etc is all fine as long as its a performer.
    I'm not a brand snob but I do like the reassurance of a tried and tested brand.

Anything you can suggest?
    I've been looking at reviews all day and it's difficult to find the right tv as although there are plenty of reviews there are never any comparisons :mad:
    I've given as much info as I can in the hope you can make a good suggestion.

The look of the TV isn't a huge factor but I do like the looks of Samsung's range.

HELLLLLLLP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Conor

I have a couple of Philips TV's that might just do the job

I'll start with the bigger screen size for your budget -
    Have a look at our Philips 46PFL5605H (also available in 40" as well)
    http://www.philipsshop.ie/Spec%20Sheets/46pfl5605h_12_pss_eng.pdf

This is a LED backlit LCD TV that features -
    100Hz Clear LCD
    Pixel Plus HD image processing
    HD Natural Motion processing (4 stages)
    2ms Panel response time
    500000:1 contrast ratio

3x HDMI, 1x SCART, 1x VGA, USB & COMPONENT inputs

A very nice TV that has just been reduced to €1199.99 from €1299.99.

My concern here is the width this TV is 1122mm wide, might be just a little to tight for comfort?

If you'd prefer the 40" screen size and would fancy something a little high up the pecking order check out our 40PFL7605
    http://www.philipsshop.ie/Spec%20Sheets/40PFL7605h_12_pss_eng.pdf

This TV is a LED EDGE LIT LCD TV, so is very thin,
    It use the more powerful Pixel Precise HD image processor
    its a 100Hz Clear LCD TV
    500000:1 Contrast ratio and 2ms response time
    You get Ambilight Spectra 2
    It's a NET TV and has a Ethernet connection on board
    Connectivity wise it builds on the 5605 with an extra HDMI and SCART socket (plus the ETHERNET port)

This TV produces a great image on screen, impressively detailed and has been very popular of late.
    Its a great TV for tweaking as well.

We have both in store if you'd like a personal demo just call on in and ask for me.

Have a good weekend
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

Thanks for getting back to me Ash.
    I'm a little concerned by the review on AVFORUMS of the PFL5605.
    They really slate it so I would really fancy that at all.

The 40PFL7605 looks decent but I've heard mixed review about the Sharp UV2A panels. Its not a cheap set and I would have thought that if it was worth that kind of money there'd be at least some reviews that I could check.
    Are the any independent reviews you know of that I could check out?

Any advice/suggestions from the RicherSounds side?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey Conar.

What about having a look at the LG 42LE5900 priced at £699.95 / 874.99 Euro.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/led-tv/lg/42le5900/lg-42le5900

The Samsung UE40C6530 is currently out of stock and has been moved to an in store only purchase. It was priced at £849.95 / 1063 Euroish. We have no incoming date for more stock of this screen:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/led-tv/samsung/ue40c6530/sams-ue40c6530

:(

Bit delayed in getting back, sorry :)
    How much for the 42" g20?

I picked up a G20 in the store yesterday.
    I dealt with Paddy in the shop who was very helpful.

Thanks guys, this thread can be closed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Conar.

Good luck with the screen.

If you want to avail of the 5 year at-home cover that we do on the screen, let us know before the 1st year.

It will be £74.95 for the 5 years (extension of 4).

I'll let Paddy know and thanks for the business.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Conar wrote: »
    I picked up a G20 in the store yesterday.
    I dealt with Paddy in the shop who was very helpful.

Thanks guys, this thread can be closed.

How much was the Panasonic G20? Looking at getting one.

It was £750. I couldn't get them to budge on that price :(
    I get a free bluray player though when they get them back in stock.

Just noticed its dropped by £20 too.
    Not happy :(

£20 off the price of the 5 year warranty Richersounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Never has it been said that we don't look after customers.....and boardies are no exception to this !

If you want to get the 5 year, I'll do it at £54.95 for you......can't be bad to that.

It's just because you said nice things about Paddy !

ATB

Dave

• Advertisement

Thanks Dave, thats much appreciated.
    I must say the service from you guys is top notch.
    Thanks for all your assistance.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.