Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting out and need help

• 03-09-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

OK I want to pick up a bike next week on the cyclw to work scheme.
    I commuted on a mountain bike beofre which was way too heavy so i want to get a road bike.
    Thing is I have no idea where to start, so i need your help :D

Want to keep it around the 500 euro mark if possible, obviously cheaper would mean i can upgrade stuff so if possible that would great.

The other thing is I'm quite short, inside leg only being 32 inches but i cant figure out the ''rough guides'':confused:

Ideas and links would be greatly received

I did see this one but i dunno if im looking at the right kinda thing :o

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_759101_langId_-1_categoryId_212536

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

When you say "upgrades" what did you have in mind?

What type of cycling will this be for: commuting or leisure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

new pedels etc as all of the bikes seem to come with the ''cage''

It'll be for be for commuting mainly but also for a few long spins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Buy the best bike you can afford.

Upgrading a bike can be pretty expensive and it is nearly always much cheaper to buy a bike new than buying something cheaper and trying to upgrade.

So I would concentrate on getting a nice bike you don't need to upgrade! Much cheaper in the long run.
    Regarding fit: call into a bike shop in person and test a few bikes. They should have sizing charts and the best way to see if a bike fits is get on one.

I would take a 51/52 CM frame roughly with an inside leg of 29" so maybe you are around 52/54C: again only way to tell is go to a shop and test a bike for fit.

uberpixie wrote: »
    Buy the best bike you can afford.

Upgrading a bike can be pretty expensive and it is nearly always much cheaper to buy a bike new than buying something cheaper and trying to upgrade.

So I would concentrate on getting a nice bike you don't need to upgrade! Much cheaper in the long run.
    Regarding fit: call into a bike shop in person and test a few bikes. They should have sizing charts and the best way to see if a bike fits is get on one.

I would take a 51/52 CM frame roughly with an inside leg of 29" so maybe you are around 52/54C: again only way to tell is go to a shop and test a bike for fit.

thats great thanks, would the bike i linked be suitable? Any opinions on it would be welcome:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

If you do a stock check, you will see the message: "We are very sorry, but no ROI store currently has the item you require in stock". And that applies to the ROI, and has for about the last month or 2; don't think you will pick up one of these soon.

Halfords have other Carerra road bikes that might suit and there have been lots of threads on this in recent times; start here but do a search for more. Also, Halfords have an "extra 15%" sale on until Monday which applies to both Carerra bikes in this thread. This looks like very good value. If you agree to spend more, Halfords also have good value with their Boardman range - check out the €869.99 Boardman Road Bike Comp for example. Even better value can be had if you are willing to buy online. Both CRC and Wiggle have good offers on at the moment.

As somebody who bought a bike on the BTW scheme a year ago, I'd agree with others above that you should aim high; if you are on the higher rate of tax, the savings are considerable at just over 50%, and you typically get an interest-free loan from your employer to pay for it. Lower rate tax payers save about a third. You can even spend more if you want and just pay the excess out of your own pocket.

I wish I was back at your stage now. Or maybe I don't - wouldn't know where to start!

• Advertisement

Ok guys ive had a look around and went and got this estimate today;

Giant: Dash 4
    Endura Jersey
    Krypton Lock
    Altura Ascent Shorts
    Cateye light set
    Endura Aerogel gloves
    Bottlecage and Bottle
    Glueles patch
    Panaracer Tube