Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year

• 03-09-2010 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I just started 5th year this week and originally chose to study History for leaving cert but during summer started to dread it...Do I have reason to dread it?How bad is leaving cert history?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paperplane93

naah dont worry about it, it can actually be quite interesting if you have like history. Theres alot to learn but most of it is easy to understand. . loads of writing though in exams :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

I am in Leaving Cert and doing history, it definitely isn't a bad subject, though I find the course very long and there is A LOT of learning. It is the kind of subject you could teach yourself though, it isn't hard to understand you just have to learn a ton. If you have a history teacher with a good reputation, then be ready for lots of essays and writing. We get a 4 page essay at least once a week and a test every two weeks. History is all writing essays. You also have to do a history research topic, we did ours last year, there is a lot of work in that but it is great and easy to get nearly full marks in if you have a good teacher.

I have found that JC history and LC history are totally different ball games though, liking history in JC and doing well in it doesn't really mean you will be the same in the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

I just did the Leaving and got an A1 in higher level history and it was honestly my favourite subject. I had a really good teacher as well which really helped. We would have an essay one week and a test the following week(changing topic all the time so one week it would be irish and the next dictators and democracy) so we were constantly working. At first i really didn't like this but when it came to the mocks it was so helpful because i had had so much tests before and knew that i had learnt my work off.It's scary seeing how big the course is and my class only finished our course the week before we finished 6th year. The research project is a great help because you can go into the exam knowing that you've gotten at least some marks. Just learn your stuff when the teacher tells you and you should be sorted! I'm sure you'll love it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

If you can still get out and have another preference, go for it. There's a lot to history according to a few friends I have. I do Geography and finding it fantastic. Doing very nicely. History seems very heavy and seems like you have to do a lot more on your own time.

Having said that, I've always hated the subject bwecause of the amount of details you had to remember,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 maemaeve16

Well thans everyone,Four months into fifth year now and History is definately my favourite subject but have no idea on Special Topic?any suggestions??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

maemaeve16 wrote: »
    but have no idea on Special Topic?any suggestions??

I dropped history, but my friends who do it still don't know what they're doing for their project (well 2 out of a class of 10). They are in Leaving Cert..

Don't worry, you've 8 months before you have to decide (or a year if you follow my friends' footsteps)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

maemaeve16 wrote: »
    Well thans everyone,Four months into fifth year now and History is definately my favourite subject but have no idea on Special Topic?any suggestions??

it's definitely an opportunity to do something you're interested in personally. there's nothing 'easy' or 'reliable' - researching in such detail something that bores you is tough and may even come across in your essay to some extent, so just pick something that you want to do. think about what your hobbies are; your favourite films/books; are you particularly interested in religion/feminism, etc - you can throw some sort of historical spin on almost anything. look back to junior cert history (or primary school - any history!) and see if anything ever stood out to you.

i had intended to do something that was linked to our course so that i'd be getting study done, but it didn't work out; you have to pick an incredibly specific angle and research it so deeply that i would've been able to use hardly any of it in an exam, and would've just been pointlessly bored doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I don't take history but a lot of my friends do. It seems like a lot of hard work but very enjoyable and interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 maemaeve16

yeah even though im in 5th year I need to choose by feb and I really don't know what to do at all ..want to do Irish History..any suggestions ??would be greatly appreciated!!

Advertisement